Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2007

Reading posts and looking at the membership of DBR, I have noticed a huge amount of people became members in 2007 including myself. What exactly happened in 2007 that a vast majority of people signed up for DBR. I have no memory of how I found DBR or why I signed up. So please someone enlighten me, or tell me that I am just imagining things and you have no idea what I am talking about.

We migrated to this board software and everyone had to re-register.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Who remembers James's board, the predecessor of this one? What was it called? Sagathama or something? I also remember it had the look and feel of a basketball court. Does anyone have any screenshots?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

-jk
    I was hoping it would be something way cooler than that...color me disappointed yet informed.

Actually, we 2007ers were taken up into the Borg and had mind-melding procedures performed en masse.

Now you've blown our cover -jk. Prepare for retribution!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Who remembers James's board, the predecessor of this one? What was it called? Sagathama or something? I also remember it had the look and feel of a basketball court. Does anyone have any screenshots?
    If memory serves, Juilovision (?). No screen shots to share.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    It was juliovision originally(more or less, AOL days excluded), Sagarmatha, the Nepalese word for Everest, was the name of the Bulletin Board system that James Armstrong created for the DBR. From the way back machine, here is a link to an old look of it... DBR Board

There was also a horrible bbs for a few weeks between James' SBBS and this board.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I also remember it had the look and feel of a basketball court. Does anyone have any screenshots?
    The parquet background was for the main page. In the beginning it was just one page that got really long. After a while it would hurt my then teenage eyes. Wow, that will be two decades this summer. What's the 20 year university gift anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The parquet background was for the main page. In the beginning it was just one page that got really long. After a while it would hurt my then teenage eyes. Wow, that will be two decades this summer. What's the 20 year university gift anyway?
    Silly question: $$$

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    It was juliovision originally(more or less, AOL days excluded), Sagarmatha, the Nepalese word for Everest, was the name of the Bulletin Board system that James Armstrong created for the DBR. From the way back machine, here is a link to an old look of it... DBR Board
    Looks like our topics of discussion haven't changed since then. UNC, Patrick Davidson, and Jay Bilas.

Quote Originally Posted by Deslok View Post
    Thanks for posting that Deslok, it was cool to get a glimpse of the past. I remember when the board looked like that. The format wasn't great but the content was so good I didn't care.

The First Great Migration (from AOL to the newly-minted Juliovision) took place in early 1995, IIRC. I made the perilous journey in an over-crowded open boat with Stray Gator, Deslok, Tom B., and a bunch of other folks. I think throatybeard, Tieguy, and a handful of other indigenous peoples welcomed us with open arms. That was about the time that Patrick Davidson, then age 7, immaculately conceived the force of nature that would one day be called Myles Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Thanks for posting that Deslok, it was cool to get a glimpse of the past. I remember when the board looked like that. The format wasn't great but the content was so good I didn't care.
    The quality of the content might've been due to having to get every post "approved" until you got the permanent greenlight. Definitely kept down on the trolls, that's for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    The quality of the content might've been due to having to get every post "approved" until you got the permanent greenlight. Definitely kept down on the trolls, that's for sure.
    Definitely. I think that extra hurdle, making people really want to post and forcing them to think through each post before submitting, helped to establish a culture of high-quality discourse that persists to this day.

It also kept it a very small bar. And let just a very few folks control the narrative.

As much more moderation as this board needs, I think our current community is a much more interesting place to hang out.

-jk

I remember when. Not the AOL days, but definitely back to Juliovision.

I still miss that parquet!

-jk

The quality of the content might've been due to having to get every post "approved" until you got the permanent greenlight. ...
    Quote Originally Posted by sue71 View Post
    I remember when. Not the AOL days, but definitely back to Juliovision.
    Those were the good old days. Kids these days don't know how good they have it. Our keyboards only had 22 keys.

-jk
    It always made me sad that I lost my original join date, which was circa late 1990's, when we had to re-register. It felt like a badge of honor. I remember reading the SBBS and Juliovision with the parquet floor at lunch at my desk at work on a PC that couldn't run any kind of animation. Sometimes it took minutes for the page to load!
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016