View Poll Results: What is your favorite Robin Williams role?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mork from Ork

7 7.29%
  • Popeye

0 0%
  • TS Garp (The World According to Garp)

4 4.17%
  • Adrian Cronauer (Good Morning Vietnam)

13 13.54%
  • John Keating (Dead Poets)

15 15.63%
  • Dr. Sayer (Awakenings)

2 2.08%
  • Parry (The Fisher King)

3 3.13%
  • Peter Pan (Hook)

8 8.33%
  • Genie (Aladdin)

6 6.25%
  • Mrs. Doubtfire

6 6.25%
  • Alan Parish (Jumanji)

0 0%
  • Armand Goldman (Birdcage)

2 2.08%
  • Sean Maguire (Good Will Hunting)

21 21.88%
  • Patch Adams

2 2.08%
  • Other (list in post)

7 7.29%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Robin Williams 1951-2014 (poll added - vote now!)

He died today at 63. Some reports say that he took his own life, but the official statement from his publicist simply says that he had been suffering from severe depression recently. He had some wonderful moments in his career.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/08/1...ms-dead-at-63/
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Very sad, just saw Brian Williams reporting it as we prepare for Jeopardy! (different network, I know).

Wow!! Depression is a truly cruel mistress. So sad. A remarkable comedian who magically morphed himself into a fine actor. I am not sure what I love best in his long catalog -- Mork, Dead Poets, Good Will Hunting, Mrs Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam, Aladdin, The Birdcage, The World According to Garp, Awakenings... what a career!

-Jason "he won several Golden Globes and an Oscar for GWHunting... a great actor!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Wow!! Depression is a truly cruel mistress. So sad. A remarkable comedian who magically morphed himself into a fine actor. I am not sure what I love best in his long catalog -- Mork, Dead Poets, Good Will Hunting, Mrs Doubtfire, Good Morning Vietnam, Aladdin, The Birdcage, The World According to Garp, Awakenings... what a career!

-Jason "he won several Golden Globes and an Oscar for GWHunting... a great actor!" Evans
    Considering his stage, stand-up, television and movie careers, as well as his combination of dramatic and comedic talent, I'm not sure if there is an equal in Hollywood. Tragic to learn he took his own life.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Wow. Real bummer.

Was shocked when I saw the news. I knew he was struggling with addiction but never imagined this. Prayers to his family.

rest in peace

Rest eternal grant to him, O Lord:
    And let light perpetual shine upon him.
    May his soul, and the souls of all the departed,
    through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

Into your hands, O merciful Savior, we commend your servant Robin. Acknowledge, we humbly beseech you, a sheep of your own fold, a lamb of your own flock, a sinner of your own redeeming. Receive
    him into the arms of your mercy, into the blessed rest of everlasting peace, and into the glorious company of the saints in light.
    Amen.
    Last edited by Tappan Zee Devil; 08-11-2014 at 08:20 PM.

I can't even.

I am so shocked and saddened by this.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    Considering his stage, stand-up, television and movie careers, as well as his combination of dramatic and comedic talent, I'm not sure if there is an equal in Hollywood. Tragic to learn he took his own life.
    A good point.

The only person I can think of off hand is Steve Martin, who I consider to be infinitely funnier, but probably a slight notch below as a dramatic actor. I'm not sure that Steve Martin has anything as scary to me as One Hour Photo in his catalog. Of course, the only television that Steve Martin did was SNL, albeit he could be the most famous host in terms of longevity in the history of the show.

It's funny because over the years I have gotten into some pretty heated arguments with folks about not liking Dead Poet's Society. I never understood any connection between carpe diem and the glorification of suicide at the end of the movie. And now it seems that Robin Williams has taken his life. Cruel irony?

I always enjoyed Popeye, Moscow on the Hudson, and Good Morning Vietnam, quite a bit. R.I.P.

ugh…..what a bummer
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    A good point.

The only person I can think of off hand is Steve Martin, who I consider to be infinitely funnier, but probably a slight notch below as a dramatic actor. I'm not sure that Steve Martin has anything as scary to me as One Hour Photo in his catalog. Of course, the only television that Steve Martin did was SNL, albeit he could be the most famous host in terms of longevity in the history of the show.

It's funny because over the years I have gotten into some pretty heated arguments with folks about not liking Dead Poet's Society. I never understood any connection between carpe diem and the glorification of suicide at the end of the movie. And now it seems that Robin Williams has taken his life. Cruel irony?

I always enjoyed Popeye, Moscow on the Hudson, and Good Morning Vietnam, quite a bit. R.I.P.
    Very, very sad news ... My favorite Robin Williams film is Terry Filliam's The Fisher King, but I very much liked Good Morning Vietnam and Dead Poets

I've also had some heated debates about Dead Poets ... this is not the place, but I do not think the film glorified Neil's suicide in the slightest.

PS Agree with your assessment of Steve Martin as Robin Williams' primary challenger for range. Martin didn't get a chance to do as many serious roles, but check out Pennies from Heaven sometime ...

I am a huge fan. So sad today. Here's a quote from imdb of Mork & Mindy that they read on the radio as prophetic yesterday:

Orson: The report, Mork.
    Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.
    Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?
    Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn't help very much because then he can hear paint dry.
    Orson: Does bed rest help?
    Mork: No because I've heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.
    Orson: Do you have any idea why?
    Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they're told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they're told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they're very old, they're told not to talk to themselves, who's left?
    Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?
    Mork: No sir I'm saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they're so busy looking out for number one that there's not enough room for two.
    Orson: It's too bad everybody down there can't get together and find a cure.
    Mork: Here's the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn't need one. Isn't that zenlack?

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I am a huge fan. So sad today. Here's a quote from imdb of Mork & Mindy that they read on the radio as prophetic yesterday:

Orson: The report, Mork.
    Mork: This week I discovered a terrible disease called loneliness.
    Orson: Do many people on Earth suffer from this disease?
    Mork: Oh yes sir, and how they suffer. One man I know suffers so much he has to take a medication called bourbon, even that doesn't help very much because then he can hear paint dry.
    Orson: Does bed rest help?
    Mork: No because I've heard that sleeping alone is part of the problem. You see, Orson, loneliness is a disease of the spirit. People who have it think that no one cares about them.
    Orson: Do you have any idea why?
    Mork: Yes sir you can count on me. You see, when children are young, they're told not to talk to strangers. When they go to school, they're told not to talk to the person next to them. Finally when they're very old, they're told not to talk to themselves, who's left?
    Orson: Are you saying Earthlings make each other lonely?
    Mork: No sir I'm saying just the opposite. They make themeslves lonely, they're so busy looking out for number one that there's not enough room for two.
    Orson: It's too bad everybody down there can't get together and find a cure.
    Mork: Here's the paradox sir because if they did get together, they wouldn't need one. Isn't that zenlack?
    Williams idolized Jonathan Winters - who battled his own demons. Williams said he learned from Winters to use the characters he played to express the pain he felt inside.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post

It's easy to forget how prolific he was. According to CNN, he appears in four films that are either completed or in post-production, and that are expected to be released in the coming months.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/showbi...humous-movies/

Someday, someone should write a book about how we grieve public figures.

Whenever anyone dies, there is an immediate outlet to share grief, express it, or at least, make the polite gesture to share in it: the land we've staked out for ourselves on Facebook, on the message boards we frequent, on Twitter, etc.

When people have passed on in recent years, generally, people are kind, thoughtful, compassionate.

The reaction to Williams' death has seemed, to my naked eye at least, much more genuine, much more intimate.

Searching my own feelings, I certainly feel that way. And I have no idea why beyond having had an affinity to the characters he played, and an affinity to the stories and emotions he brought to life, to the connection his portrayal of a doctor, a teacher, a counselor, brought out in me.

Perhaps that was merely his gift, one that few other public figures share: genuine connection with the people you strive to entertain, even though the interaction is almost always a one-way street.

Who's to say what feelings had come to Mr. Williams. Here is hoping that his family can be embraced with the sincerity of sadness that is felt at Mr. Williams' loss, for having enriched so many of our lives in moments that Mr. Williams, in his better days, hopefully understood.

I think a good part of the reason the outpouring is so genuine is because Williams was so transparent; everything came gushing out without a filter, including the goofy, the dark, the profane, the weird. In what we would call straight dramatic parts, he managed to convey a sense of openness and rawness, even in understated roles like Sean in Good Will Hunting. Other performers just tell jokes or maybe go on amusing longwinded rants, but Williams (at least to me) never lost his gentleness or decency, even when his mockery was sharp on the edges.

Here's an example: an anecdote from a Slate writer, where Williams did a chapter in an audiobook for Paul Newman's camp for ill children:
    http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/...sing_life.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    The reaction to Williams' death has seemed, to my naked eye at least, much more genuine, much more intimate.

Searching my own feelings, I certainly feel that way. And I have no idea why beyond having had an affinity to the characters he played, and an affinity to the stories and emotions he brought to life, to the connection his portrayal of a doctor, a teacher, a counselor, brought out in me.

Perhaps that was merely his gift, one that few other public figures share: genuine connection with the people you strive to entertain, even though the interaction is almost always a one-way street.
    I completely agree that Robin Williams always felt genuine to me. Perhaps it was that he often seemed similar in real life to the characters he played on screen. His appearances and interviews were rarely strained or difficult, they always seemed fun and off-beat, which is how many of his most celebrated characters acted too.

And I think it also helped our connection to him that he was fairly public about his struggles with addiction (and depression). It made him more human (somewhat like Robert Downey Jr, though I don't think Robin Williams was as troubled and addicted as RDJr. was at times). If you ever saw Williams' amazing standup routines, he would often talk about what it was like (both the insane highs and the terrible lows) to be addicted to cocaine or alcohol. Heck, half his characters acted like they were high most of the time. You know Mork and Adrian Cronauer were toking every time we did not see them on camera

Compared to, for example, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Robin Williams always seemed more like one of us and he was someone with whom we all wanted to break bread and share a dinner conversation. Like many of you, I have found myself reflecting on his varied and wonderful roles over the past 20 hours since we heard this news. I'll probably crack out a couple somewhat dusty DVDs this evening to relive the joy that he brought me. Thanks Robin... we will miss you oh so much!

-Jason "it is good that The Crazy Ones was not picked up or we could be treated to something awful like when the producers tried to keep 8 Simple Rules alive after John Ritter died" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

CNN reports

www.cnn.com

CNN is breaking news....... That Robin Williams hanged himself and his wrists were cut.

Prayers for Mr Williams Wife, children, family, friends and the fans he touched through the years with his great TV shows and movies.

Heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Says life seems harsh and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world where what lies ahead is vague and uncertain. Doctor says, "Treatment is simple. Great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. Go and see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. Says "But Doctor... I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    A good point.

Steve Martin is probably the closest. Bill Murray has a strong sketch comedy and movie resume but his tv and stand up work is lacking. Ditto for Chevy Chase. Tom hanks has tv and movies but little if any stand up. Seinfeld has no movie work to speak of. If I had to pick someone to match Robin Williams I'd pick Louis CK but he needs a lot of movie success to catch up and he's closing in on 50.