Page 5 of 249 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Trent Jr was named MVP of the recently completed FIBA Americans U16 tourney. Coaches and teammates raved about his play and leadership.
    Yeah, here's some more detail on the U-16 tournament champs:

USA Comes From Behind For 77-60 Victory Over Canada For Fourth FIBA Americas U16 Championship Gold Medal

Gary Trent Jr. (Apple Valley H.S./Apple Valley, Minn.) scored all 19 points of his points in the second half and earned tournament MVP honors. Tied as the USA’s scoring leader on the night was Jarred Vanderbilt (Victory Prep School/Houston, Texas), who had 10 of the team’s first-half points and finished with 19 points and 10 rebounds. Wendell Carter Jr. (Pace Academy/Fairburn, Ga.) posted a double-double with 11 points and 10 rebounds. Tre Jones (Apple Valley H.S./Appel Valley, Minn.) had five steals and finished the tournament with a USA U16 competition record 19 steals, breaking Malik Newman’s record of 14 set in 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, here's some more detail on the U-16 tournament champs:

USA Comes From Behind For 77-60 Victory Over Canada For Fourth FIBA Americas U16 Championship Gold Medal

...Tre Jones (Apple Valley H.S./Appel Valley, Minn.) had five steals and finished the tournament with a USA U16 competition record 19 steals, breaking Malik Newman’s record of 14 set in 2013. ...
    Come on Mike, make an offer to Tre. Don't we have any sense of legacy?
    Last edited by -jk; 06-15-2015 at 04:36 PM. Reason: fix tags

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    It worked for th Plumlees, but not Aubrey Dawkins.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    And Duke is recruiting all four of the above mentioned.

Well, give him some time--Tre Jones is scheduled to graduate from high school in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Well, give him some time--Tre Jones is scheduled to graduate from high school in 2018.
    WTH? No early word on whether he'll re-classify.

(kidding, kidding)
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wendell Carter gets officially offered as well.

Andrew Slater@ASlater247 3h3 hours ago
    #Duke has officially offered 6'10" Wendell Carter @wendellcarter34 . Carter just won a gold medal with @usabasketball at the FIBA Americas.

That makes 3 official so far in this class: Troy Brown Jr, Gary Trent Jr, Wendell Carter Jr

More to come I'm sure

Wendell Carter gets officially offered as well.

That makes 3 official so far in this class: Troy Brown Jr, Gary Trent Jr, Wendell Carter Jr

More to come I'm sure
    But only if they are juniors. Or at least self-identify as juniors.

More to come I'm sure
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    They say most freshmen become sophomores by the time they get to the end of their first season, but these guys will already be juniors by the time they start!
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Rachel Dolezal self-identifies as a junior. Among other things.

I'm still looking for the box with "curmudgeon" for me to check.

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    They say most freshmen become sophomores by the time they get to the end of their first season, but these guys will already be juniors by the time they start!
    And they may still be juniors when and if they graduate.

If the next two offers are Michael Porter Jr and Trae Young, I'm going to have to insist that Trae Young's father change his name to match Trae's.

If the next two offers are Michael Porter Jr and Trae Young, I'm going to have to insist that Trae Young's father change his name to match Trae's.
    As much as I would like to see Trae Young (soon-to-be Jr.) offered along with Porter, I don't think we would offer Troy Brown, Gary Trent and another guard, especially since Brown has been our first and top target for this class.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    As much as I would like to see Trae Young (soon-to-be Jr.) offered along with Porter, I don't think we would offer Troy Brown, Gary Trent and another guard, especially since Brown has been our first and top target for this class.
    I think it's very possible. By the time the 2017 class matriculates, Duke might not have Derryck Thornton, Grayson Allen, and Matt Jones around anymore. (100% on Jones since he'll graduate).

Trae Young also looks to me like a multi-year player while Brown and Trent are probably 1-and-done. There's not that much conflict/overlap between Young and the other offers, imo.

Rachel Dolezal self-identifies as a junior. Among other things.

I'm still looking for the box with "curmudgeon" for me to check.
    Try this:

founders-old_curmudgeon.jpg

Makes a nice avatar, too, but that's just crazietalk.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

DraftExpress put up scouting videos on Trent Jr and Carter Jr from the USA U16 camp.

It includes both good plays and bad plays.

Trent (first video on following page): http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Gary-Trent-82914/

Carter (last video on following page): http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...-Carter-83183/

I think it's very possible. By the time the 2017 class matriculates, Duke might not have Derryck Thornton, Grayson Allen, and Matt Jones around anymore. (100% on Jones since he'll graduate).

Trae Young also looks to me like a multi-year player while Brown and Trent are probably 1-and-done. There's not that much conflict/overlap between Young and the other offers, imo.
    I can see that, and agree with both Grayson leaving early (probably before the 2016 class matriculates) and Young only conflicting with Troy Brown, but I think it all depends on what guard(s) we get for 2016. If Thornton is one and done, which I believe he wants to and can be given his potential, we'll need to recruit another 1 next year, which at this point looks like Dennis Smith Jr. or Frank Jackson.

If Thornton leaves after one year, I think we'll have a great shot at Smith because it seems like he wants both minutes and to play with Giles and possibly Tatum. Since Smith is likely to be a one year player, that would open up the possibility of both Brown and Young in 2017 with Brown as the starter and Young developing his game for later years, like you mentioned. However, if we get Jackson, who also looks to be a multi-year player, I would think Trae Young wouldn't want to come in 3rd in line for minutes at the 1 behind Brown and 2nd year Jackson.

Again, all this is wildly speculative since we're 2 years out and recruiting for 2016 can go many directions.

Quote Originally Posted by BluePanda View Post
    I can see that, and agree with both Grayson leaving early (probably before the 2016 class matriculates) and Young only conflicting with Troy Brown, but I think it all depends on what guard(s) we get for 2016. If Thornton is one and done, which I believe he wants to and can be given his potential, we'll need to recruit another 1 next year, which at this point looks like Dennis Smith Jr. or Frank Jackson.

...However, if we get Jackson, who also looks to be a multi-year player, I would think Trae Young wouldn't want to come in 3rd in line for minutes at the 1 behind Brown and 2nd year Jackson.
    Recall that Frank Jackson will be taking his 2-year Mormon mission following his high school graduation, prior to matriculating (but not necessarily committing) to college.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Recall that Frank Jackson will be taking his 2-year Mormon mission following his high school graduation, prior to matriculating (but not necessarily committing) to college.
    Yes, there's the possibility of a mission and also, when watching Jackson's highlights on youtube, he seems like more of a SG than PG. At best, you could describe him as a "scoring PG," but I suspect if he chooses Duke, he would spend more time playing the 2 than the 1. Like how Quinn Cook moved off-the-ball this past season. Then, consider also that Trae Young can also play SG because he's a great shooter and also that Troy Brown is a PG that has the body of a wing and, at the very least, can play PG on offense and guard the wing on defense if needed. Bottom line, there's enough positional versatility there with these three prospects that if all received scholarship offers, I wouldn't consider it to be a logjam.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Apparently, the timing of his mission is still undecided.