Page 249 of 249 FirstFirst ... 149199239247248249
Results 4,961 to 4,966 of 4966
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Interestingly, I was more referring to his sophomore year when he was healthy and it seemed like teams with good rim protection (Utah and Kentucky comes to mind) had their way with him inside. I think he could stand to be more crafty (like Luke was) when big men are in the way; more floater game and midrange game would help, too. But when healthy, he definitely is a threat on the drive and can make unchallenged finishes.
    Healthy Grayson (sophomore Grayson), and Luke actually posted almost identical field goal percentages at the rim. Grayson shot just over 60% during his sophomore year at the rim (which comprised about 30% of his shots), while Luke converted 61% of his chances at the rim (18.4% of his shot totals). Those are both really good numbers, especially considering only 20% of their shots at the rim were assisted (which is a decent proxy for measuring the difficulty of a shot at the rim). I think Grayson's relative struggles when confronted with big shot blockers had more to do with a lack of a plan B, as you state above. Grayson shot only 36% on 2pt jumpers while Luke shot almost 50%. In fact, I would be willing to bet that if Luke and Grayson were prohibited from taking anything other than threes or shots at the rim, Grayson would look like a better player as his athleticism would allow him to finish more frequently. However, Luke (who is a better athlete than his perception), was so good at 2 pt jumpers (which include his various floaters, push shots, and other creative finishes) that they were a realistic alternative to going all the way to the rim. Grayson, on the other hand, was better off trying to finish at the rim even if it meant getting his shot blocked because his 2 pt jumper just isn't a particularly efficient weapon. Ideally, Grayson will add a reliable 10-foot jump shot/floater that will help take shot blockers out of the equation.

As a side note, it is clear that injuries really hampered Grayson because he got to the rim less (only 19% of his shots) and finished much more poorly when he did get there (52%) during his junior year. I'm looking forward to a healthy Grayson terrorizing opponents with some more ferocious drives to the rim during his senior campaign.

All stats from hoop-math.
    Who needs a moral victory when you can have a real one?

Quote Originally Posted by COYS View Post
    Healthy Grayson (sophomore Grayson), and Luke actually posted almost identical field goal percentages at the rim. Grayson shot just over 60% during his sophomore year at the rim (which comprised about 30% of his shots), while Luke converted 61% of his chances at the rim (18.4% of his shot totals). Those are both really good numbers, especially considering only 20% of their shots at the rim were assisted (which is a decent proxy for measuring the difficulty of a shot at the rim). I think Grayson's relative struggles when confronted with big shot blockers had more to do with a lack of a plan B, as you state above. Grayson shot only 36% on 2pt jumpers while Luke shot almost 50%. In fact, I would be willing to bet that if Luke and Grayson were prohibited from taking anything other than threes or shots at the rim, Grayson would look like a better player as his athleticism would allow him to finish more frequently. However, Luke (who is a better athlete than his perception), was so good at 2 pt jumpers (which include his various floaters, push shots, and other creative finishes) that they were a realistic alternative to going all the way to the rim. Grayson, on the other hand, was better off trying to finish at the rim even if it meant getting his shot blocked because his 2 pt jumper just isn't a particularly efficient weapon. Ideally, Grayson will add a reliable 10-foot jump shot/floater that will help take shot blockers out of the equation.

As a side note, it is clear that injuries really hampered Grayson because he got to the rim less (only 19% of his shots) and finished much more poorly when he did get there (52%) during his junior year. I'm looking forward to a healthy Grayson terrorizing opponents with some more ferocious drives to the rim during his senior campaign.

All stats from hoop-math.
    Agree, he goes so hard at the rim, and even though he converts at an efficient rate (when healthy), he sometimes gets stuck in the air against a long shot blocker and throws something up at a weird angle that just looks ugly.

If he could add a more crafty, stop-and-pop from 6 to 10 feet out, like Luke, that might really help in avoiding those situations, and also make him more desirable at the next level.

Sophomore Grayson was definitely a straight-line driver to the rim. I think he really wanted to improve his guard skills going into his junior year to prove himself as a 2 at the next level. So he lost weight, improved his handling, and consciously tried to pass the ball more, at times to a fault. I do think his injuries were a big part of his lack of aggressiveness last season, but I also think the tripping incident were a factor too. He didn't feel like he could go hard and attack because if he made contact with anybody then it would be plastered all over SportsCenter. I think mentally he had to dial things back and so all of these factors together gave us a much different player. The percentage of shots he took from three went way, way up from his sophomore to junior years and that was as good an indication of any of how different a player he became.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    The percentage of shots he took from three went way, way up from his sophomore to junior years and that was as good an indication of any of how different a player he became.
    Putting all the other stuff aside, I suspect the percentage of shots he takes from three will be going even further up this season.

Is now a good time to revisit the discussion in this thread about whether it would be a good thing for Marvin Bagley III to come to Duke?

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    Is now a good time to revisit the discussion in this thread about whether it would be a good thing for Marvin Bagley III to come to Duke?
    Not particularly. He's here, and it's glorious.

- Chillin