Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 26
  1. #1

    Fiba World junior game.

    The gold medal game is going on right now. You can access it through usabasketball.com. Justise Winslow right now is the best man on the floor. Tyus Jones started at the point. Luke Kennard also playing.

  2. #2
    Canada having lots of trouble handling tea, USA's press. Lots and lots of turnovers. Winslow is a real stud. Looks like he can do everything.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Asheville
    I have a feeling Luke Kennard is going to be a DBR favorite. I'm very impressed!
    "I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend."

    -Thomas Jefferson

  4. #4
    Winslow was a man among boys. He is still raw but an NBA athlete already.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    USA rolls 113-79 to win the Gold.

    Justise Winslow ended up with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals.

    Dillon Brooks for Canada looks like a real good prospect; 6'7" or so, good scorer; had 27 against the US and averaged over 24 pts/ game for the Tournament.
    His rivals/yahoo profile shows offers from Duquesne, Dayton, New Mexico State, K-State, and Rhode Island, but I'm guessing he'll be hearing from some higher level programs.

    Great to see Winslow and Tyus Jones finish up with the Gold in good fashion; they'll be at Duke by the end of the month.
    Last edited by roywhite; 06-24-2014 at 08:58 PM. Reason: correct the final score

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    USA rolls 113-72 to win the Gold.

    Justise Winslow ended up with 20 points, 10 rebounds, and 4 steals.

    Dillon Brooks for Canada looks like a real good prospect; 6'7" or so, good scorer; had 27 against the US and averaged over 24 pts/ game for the Tournament.
    His rivals/yahoo profile shows offers from Duquesne, Dayton, New Mexico State, K-State, and Rhode Island, but I'm guessing he'll be hearing from some higher level programs.

    Great to see Winslow and Tyus Jones finish up with the Gold in good fashion; they'll be at Duke by the end of the month.
    The Zimmerman kid looked pretty good too (as did Kennard)... whats the scoop on the Z-man in terms of college?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Newton_14 View Post
    The Zimmerman kid looked pretty good too (as did Kennard)... whats the scoop on the Z-man in terms of college?
    We are not interested in him and he is not interested in us. One of his mentors is infamous for also advising Shabazz Muhammad. His teammate, Chase Jeter, is who we want and in my opinion, is better than Zimmerman.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Winslow was a man among boys. He is still raw but an NBA athlete already.
    Winslow is really coming on strong.

    The announcers on the feed I was watching were full of praises for him. Late in the first quarter (before Winslow went on to have another great game), one of them said (and I think this is a direct quote), "Winslow may be the best talent we've seen in this tournament." The two announcers agreed that he was impressive on both ends of the court. At least in this game, I thought he looked better both offensively and defensively than Stanley Johnson. And during a timeout when the two were standing side by side, Winslow's shoulders were at least 4 inches wider. He mostly played the 3 but spent a lot of time using size and strength under the basket. And there were stretches where Donovan was going with three perimeter players, and Winslow took the top of the key like he was playing 2. I think we'll see a lot of him this coming year due to his versatility and the matchup problems he'll present to other teams. I think he'll manhandle a lot of other SFs, play some PF as necessary, and see some time at the 2 when K wants to go big (assuming his defense is as good as it looked in these lopsided games). He may be the second best player on the team.

    Zimmerman looks like he could be a force. He's got another year of HS to go. Jeter wasn't quite at that level I thought. Interestingly, late in the US-Canada game, Donovan had Zimmerman and Jeter playing at the same time. During one set, they were both posted on the low block. On the next, Zimmerman played the low block, and Jeter set up high at the key. It'll be interesting to see if they team up like that at Bishop Gorman this coming season. Jeter doesn't need to play center, and it would be fun to watch him and Sean Obi team up.

    Zimmerman has narrowed his list down to a half-dozen or so schools, including Kentucky, Arizona, and UNC-CH.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Arlington, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by conmanlhughes View Post
    We are not interested in him and he is not interested in us. One of his mentors is infamous for also advising Shabazz Muhammad. His teammate, Chase Jeter, is who we want and in my opinion, is better than Zimmerman.
    If you are referring to Ron Holmes, he is also the father of Shabazz Muhammad, which might explain why he was advising him (Ron Holmes may, in fact, be infamous, as he has run into some trouble with the law, but I'm not sure he is infamous for advising his son). And if you are referring to Clayton Williams, he has been the AAU coach of both players, so no real surprise there. Could there be something fishy? I suppose. But if a player and a school aren't a good fit for whatever reason, it's probably not necessary to look for nefarious reasons. Just as every player isn't for Duke, Duke isn't for every player.

  10. #10
    Kennard played well in nearly all the games from what I can see, including having 30 in the first game although the opponent was vastly overmatched (they won by nearly 100 :P)
    I really have high hopes for this kid, I think he could be outstanding and expect to see him climb the ranks over his final year.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Colorado Springs, CO

    In Person Analysis

    I attended the Gold Medal game last night. Here's my take on our guys plus a couple other stand out players:

    1. Tyus: Kid is just a gamer. He will not wow you with athleticism or the spectacular, but the team just flows when he is at the helm. I sat with Myles Turner's family and Turner's dad said "we are just better when Tyus is in the game". He is a winner, can get by his defender when he wants to. He actually plays better than advertised defense and is bigger than one might think. I wanted him to be more assertive offensively last night, he passed up a couple open three's. It's going to be hard to keep him out of the lineup, even with Quinn's experience.

    2. Justise: Wow, he is a man. Winslow already has an NBA body and he is an extremely intimidating force on the court. He has a fear factor that was tangibly felt when he played defense. Donovan just unleashed him on Canada and at one point in the first half it was a two point game and Winslow just took over the game in about a 90 second period. He scored 6 straight points and was a one man wrecking crew on defense. Imagine Justise and Semi in a full court press, it could get ugly. He is as athletic as advertised, he finished in traffic one time and just rose up over everyone, kid has some serious hoops. His jump shot is suspect past 17 feet but he can get to the rim and finish whenever he wants. Ultimately, K will probably use him as our main defensive stopper. He's going to be hard to keep off the court. Needs to work on his free throws btw...

    3. Luke: 20 seconds into getting into the game my wife looked at me and said "I can already tell he's going to be my favorite. He will be the guy every other fan base hates". Luke reminds me of a cross between Singler and Dunleavy, but with the confidence of JJ. He just knows where to be on the court at all times, understands spacing, is really athletic and can stroke the 3. He battled well on the boards and his length allows him to cause problems out on the wing. We are going to love this kid. He's just got 'it'. Luke will be a significant contributor as soon as he gets on campus. His game is complete. Shoots the 3, has a nice post game, can drive from the elbow, plays very good defense.

    Non-Duke Guys:
    1. Stanley Johnson: One and Done. Dude is legit. He and Winslow are similar but Johnson is just far more polished offensively.
    2. Myles Turner: Funny I wasn't crazy impressed with the limited viewing of Turner. He has a Casey Sanders body and tends to drift on offense, not as polished on the post as Jahlil. But a great kid, he spent time with my little boy and was so nice. I talked with his mom about picking Texas over Duke. Said he always wanted to go to Duke but it was just 'too crowded' with other talent. Nice, honest answer I thought.
    3. Isaiah Briscoe: He is going to be very good. Just so strong with the ball, but didn't seem like a Duke type player. Score first, pass second if ever.
    4. Chase Jeter: Gosh he looks like he is 12 years old, he might be actually. Needs to bulk up but showed why everyone thinks he is the next great big man.

    Anyway, great to see three future Blue Devils up close and personal. They had a grit, almost an intimidation factor and cohesion that this past years team seemed to be missing.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    If you are referring to Ron Holmes, he is also the father of Shabazz Muhammad, which might explain why he was advising him (Ron Holmes may, in fact, be infamous, as he has run into some trouble with the law, but I'm not sure he is infamous for advising his son). And if you are referring to Clayton Williams, he has been the AAU coach of both players, so no real surprise there. Could there be something fishy? I suppose. But if a player and a school aren't a good fit for whatever reason, it's probably not necessary to look for nefarious reasons. Just as every player isn't for Duke, Duke isn't for every player.
    He's got some black marks there, to be sure. Shabazz was listed, for example, as being a year younger than he actually was.
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    The announcers on the feed I was watching were full of praises for him.
    I know this sounds ridiculous, but we were probably watching the same feed and I heard those guys mistake Johnson for Winslow at least twice. With their similar size and hairstyle, i swear these guys think they were watching some kind of Superman combo of the two of them. Justice was great, but I think, per those announcers, he was getting credit for some of Johnson's finishes inside. On the grainy web feed, I have to admit that I needed to see whether it was "10" or "13 sometimes to tell them apart. We had three 6'6" or 6'7" similarly complected African-American wings (Winslow, Johnson and Brown) with extremely similar hairstyles, kind of the shaved sides with a collection of twists piled up on top, causing havoc all over the court.

    Quote Originally Posted by CoSprings View Post
    I attended the Gold Medal game last night. Here's my take on our guys plus a couple other stand out players:
    Nice write-up. I have to say that, via YouTube, i watch the Uruguay game, the first quarter of the game against the DR and then the first half of the title game. Winslow made the biggest impression on me. It's always hard to get an impression based on inferior competition, but he feels like a lock for the rotation next year. I really liked his demeanor...all business! He seems to stay on an even emotional keel as he is completely destroying you. Love it.

    Jones looks really polished. He is always looking to set guys up and is a nice finisher in the lane.

    Kennard is a scoring machine. Jeter, as you say, is raw.

    A couple of other things:
    -It didn't sink in until watching the actual games (these were the first non Senior national team FIBA games I ever watched), but our recruits are getting such awesome coaching as part of this experience. It's amazing to see Donovan patrolling the sideline only to see Sean Miller jump up and get in his ear. Man, these are two of the best college coaches around. You start to think about how much better these kids must get participating in a program like this vis-a-via a full summer of AAU ball. They said this was Jones' 3rd or 4th go around with Team USA, and he's getting this level of coaching all along the way. We are now nearly 10 years into the Colangelo era as USA Basketball Czar and I think we're going to start seeing the dividends in improved fundamentals from our one-and-dones due to the summers they are spending in this environment.
    -I think the US holds World Titles in every age group for which they hold World Titles, and, pre 2006, we rarely used to win those titles. This Team USA took the court and simply destroyed these other teams with our full court pressure. They play the same kind of game that the Senior National Team plays, pressing, high possession, run and gun, exploit the athletic advantage. It is awesome to see the American "style", one that is being carefully implemented by a coordinated system of coaching, playing out at all age levels.
    -Forget Spain and Argentina, I think our looming national rival is Canada! We kicked their butt in the final, but they look just like an American team. Forget the full shot clock passing and cutting offense, they field a team of superior athletes that get up and down the floor, pressure the ball, and take it to the rim. They look more like an American team than any of the other youth programs. With players like Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, Robert Sacre, Cory Joseph, etc. coming of age in the NBA, and their youth teams performing well, I think that's the next big power...and i think others have said that too on these boards.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lewisville, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I know this sounds ridiculous, but we were probably watching the same feed and I heard those guys mistake Johnson for Winslow at least twice. With their similar size and hairstyle, i swear these guys think they were watching some kind of Superman combo of the two of them. Justice was great, but I think, per those announcers, he was getting credit for some of Johnson's finishes inside. On the grainy web feed, I have to admit that I needed to see whether it was "10" or "13 sometimes to tell them apart. We had three 6'6" or 6'7" similarly complected African-American wings (Winslow, Johnson and Brown) with extremely similar hairstyles, kind of the shaved sides with a collection of twists piled up on top, causing havoc all over the court.

    Nice write-up. I have to say that, via YouTube, i watch the Uruguay game, the first quarter of the game against the DR and then the first half of the title game. Winslow made the biggest impression on me. It's always hard to get an impression based on inferior competition, but he feels like a lock for the rotation next year. I really liked his demeanor...all business! He seems to stay on an even emotional keel as he is completely destroying you. Love it.
    Gotcha and good comments.

    One key for picking Winslow out of the crowd -- he's the one with realllly broad shoulders and the one you would quickly pick to be on your side in a brawl.

    I think Coach K is rubbing his hands gleefully to get this outstanding incoming class up and running.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Gotcha and good comments.

    One key for picking Winslow out of the crowd -- he's the one with realllly broad shoulders and the one you would quickly pick to be on your side in a brawl.

    I think Coach K is rubbing his hands gleefully to get this outstanding incoming class up and running.
    With Okafor and Winslow being such physical beasts, I am anticipating a major shift in Duke perception akin to when the Brand/Battier class showed up. We haven't had these kind of skilled "anvils" in some time. I expect that we'll be a little less finesse.

    I think I undersold Winslow when i said he'd be a rotation guy (besides, Kedsy's solid analysis of recruiting ranking vs rotation spot proves that he will be a rotation player). I think he's got a chance to challenge to start by the first of 2015. Watch out, Amile!

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think he's got a chance to challenge to start by the first of 2015. Watch out, Amile!
    You think Justise is more of a PF than a SF? (In other words, why Amile and not a perimeter player?)

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You think Justise is more of a PF than a SF? (In other words, why Amile and not a perimeter player?)
    I actually started out thinking that Winslow would start Game 1 with Cook, Sulaimon, Okafor and Jefferson but it didn't feel like enough shooting to spread the court.

    The led me to a 3 guard starting line-up of Jones, Cook, Sulaimon, Okafor and Jefferson with the potential size disadvantage on the perimeter being hopefully mitigated by Jahlil's ability to protect the rim without fouling.

    As I think others have opined, it may be a process to figure out the size vs shooting debate.

    That's how I wound up with Winslow replacing Amile, it seems like he's got the goods to cover 4s. He showed some 3 stroke, too.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Washington, D.C.

    Yup

    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I actually started out thinking that Winslow would start Game 1 with Cook, Sulaimon, Okafor and Jefferson but it didn't feel like enough shooting to spread the court.

    The led me to a 3 guard starting line-up of Jones, Cook, Sulaimon, Okafor and Jefferson with the potential size disadvantage on the perimeter being hopefully mitigated by Jahlil's ability to protect the rim without fouling.

    As I think others have opined, it may be a process to figure out the size vs shooting debate.

    That's how I wound up with Winslow replacing Amile, it seems like he's got the goods to cover 4s. He showed some 3 stroke, too.
    In the offseason, all threads converge on a playing time debate.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As I think others have opined, it may be a process to figure out the size vs shooting debate.

    That's how I wound up with Winslow replacing Amile, it seems like he's got the goods to cover 4s. He showed some 3 stroke, too.
    I think this makes sense. If Justise can effectively guard PFs then the Tyus/Quinn/Rasheed/Justise/Jahlil lineup will probably see a fair amount of time (whether it's the starting lineup or not). Granted it's a very small lineup, but the good news is in games where size is an issue, our 6th man (Amile) would have plenty of it.

    Justise playing PF would also allow Coach K to employ the 7-man rotation he prefers, much to the anticipated chagrin of Semi, Matt, and Grayson fans.

    But I haven't seen Justise play. You think he really has "the goods" to cover college PFs?

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Mount Kisco, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    But I haven't seen Justise play. You think he really has "the goods" to cover college PFs?
    If guarding 6'3" Uruguayans is a good comp...

    We won't know until we see him on the floor against D1 competition trying to execute the team concept.

    In terms of the elite college 4s, he'll give up height to some and weight to others. He just looks like a man out there, a Nate James enforcer type (he doesn't quite have that build, but he seems to have that frame)

Similar Threads

  1. 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup (non-USA teams)
    By awhom111 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: 08-30-2014, 01:14 AM
  2. FIBA Championship In Game Discussion: USA vs Turkey
    By diveonthefloor in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 04:11 PM
  3. FIBA U17 World Championship
    By Bob Green in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-11-2010, 10:37 AM
  4. Junior or Harvick?
    By Bluedawg in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-08-2007, 10:38 PM
  5. Next years team in Video Game World
    By Lord Ash in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 04-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •