Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Aycock Girls Want Better

I'm hoping the mods will let this separate discussion of the Aycock dormitory name keep going.

This thread isn't to discuss the decision to rename The Dorm Formerly Known as Aycock. It's a discussion of how to honor the women who once lived there. For at least 50 years of it's existence, Aycock was a women's dormitory. I was a member of the last freshman class before the switch to all freshman dorms. I joined a cohesive, spirited, all around awesome group of girls who did a fantastic job of welcoming freshmen into their mix. We tried to stay together when the dorm was disbanded but we were denied. Just about my favorite memory of my undergraduate days is winning the last ever Spirit Keg with the Aycock Girls - Give me an A, Give me a Y, Give me a (you know, don't want to be called a wanker).

The spirit of those women deserve better than East Residence Hall. I've started a Facebook group to discuss better names. Personally, I think it should be named for a noted Duke woman but again, it's an open discussion. Come join us! Or discuss here. Either way, I hope to write a letter to the administration accompanied by the signatures of as many past and present residents of The Dorm Formerly Known as Aycock as I can.

Although not a big fan or her politics, I would think Elizabeth Hanford Dole would offer an attractive naming option.

Liz Dole is a 1958 Duke grad and has remained very close to Duke over the years -- serving on the Board of Trustees and as chairman of the Alumni Association.

After that, Nan Keohane pops to mind -- several dorms are named for ex-University Presidents. She wasn't my favorite either, but at least she was better than Doug Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Although not a big fan or her politics, I would think Elizabeth Hanford Dole would offer an attractive naming option.

Liz Dole is a 1958 Duke grad and has remained very close to Duke over the years -- serving on the Board of Trustees and as chairman of the Alumni Association.

After that, Nan Keohane pops to mind -- several dorms are named for ex-University Presidents. She wasn't my favorite either, but at least she was better than Doug Knight.
    Keohane already has an entire quad named after her. RIP, the WEL...