Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    But(t) it's smokin' at dawn:

Attachment 4179
    ...sooooo, game at OPKs place? Count me in.

But(t) it's smokin' at dawn:

Attachment 4179
    Have you chopped it yet? What sauce recipe are you planning to put on that pork?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Have you chopped it yet? What sauce recipe are you planning to put on that pork?
    I usually eat without sauce. Mrs. OPK makes a tasty sauce that I use sometimes, though. Sweeter than I normally go for -- but of course so is Mrs. OPK.

I have made a habanero sauce in the past that wil light you up until Christmas -- have not done it in awhile though.

Good recipes would be appreciated, of course.

My wife bought me a really cool book a few years ago that has rib recipes from all over the country. But the best find in the whole book was Oklahoma Joe's rib rub recipe. BTW, Oklahoma Joe's is still the only bbq I've eaten of any kind that beats Lexington BBQ... Anyway, it's a simple but really great dry rub that I like to put on just about everything before it goes onto the BGE. This recipe is now published in several places including food.com, so no harm sharing...

2 tablespoons granulated sugar
    1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
    1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon onion powder
    1 teaspoon white pepper
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper

One other suggestion... I generally like to make my own rub from scratch and tweak as I see fit. But I am not opposed to using certain really great store bought options. One of my favorite is the Memphis Rib Rub from Williams Sonoma. Forget that W&S is all highfalutin... that rub is really fantastic on pork chops and pork tenderloin.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

any advice on getting a good crust on a steak? I cranked the egg to 700 degrees and got a great sear, but my crust left a bit to be desired. I also think I overdid the salt a bit while trying to get that crust. Thanks!
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I'd recommend putting the steak in a cast-iron skillet on the stove on medium-high for only about 30-45 seconds for each side, then transfer to desired finishing location. I do the same with flat-iron steaks/roasts and others, keeps the juices in.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I'd recommend putting the steak in a cast-iron skillet on the stove on medium-high for only about 30-45 seconds for each side, then transfer to desired finishing location. I do the same with flat-iron steaks/roasts and others, keeps the juices in.
    100%. You want to sear it. Not char it. The BGE at 700 degrees is too much unless you're willing to eat steak tartar with the outside edge blackened.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    100%. You want to sear it. Not char it. The BGE at 700 degrees is too much unless you're willing to eat steak tartar with the outside edge blackened.
    Is that "Pittsburg rare?"

On top of my previous post, you could use a blackening seasoning, which I use on tuna and other meats, but I'd use a very minimal amount, just a light rub. I completely love using a cast-iron skillet to start a piece of meat since you can also simply put the skillet in the oven or elsewhere to continue cooking, very versatile!

I saw something on one of the egghead forums about using a bit of cornstarch in a rub to get a good crust. I made a simple rub of course black pepper/kosher salt/corn starch in a ration of 2/1/.5. I coated both sides and then stuck the steak (1.5 lbs bone-in ribeye) in the freezer for 30 minutes.

I got the egg to ~550 degrees and gave the steak 2 minutes on either side. I then shut down the bottom vent and capped the chimney and gave it 3.5 more minutes.

Worked really well. Got a nice crust from the rub and corn starch.

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    I saw something on one of the egghead forums about using a bit of cornstarch in a rub to get a good crust. I made a simple rub of course black pepper/kosher salt/corn starch in a ration of 2/1/.5. I coated both sides and then stuck the steak (1.5 lbs bone-in ribeye) in the freezer for 30 minutes.

I got the egg to ~550 degrees and gave the steak 2 minutes on either side. I then shut down the bottom vent and capped the chimney and gave it 3.5 more minutes.

Worked really well. Got a nice crust from the rub and corn starch.
    Interesting. Might need to try that.

Was the center still literally cold when you cut into it?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Interesting. Might need to try that.

Was the center still literally cold when you cut into it?
    per the meat thermometer was at 131

"Sith Burgers" Friday, rib-eye steaks yesterday, planked salmon tonight:

image.jpg

Independence Day is my favorite holiday, especially when it is a three-day weekend!

"Sith Burgers" Friday, rib-eye steaks yesterday, planked salmon tonight:

image.jpg

Independence Day is my favorite holiday, especially when it is a three-day weekend!
    Looks good, OPK.

Tell me more about planking; haven't tried it. What kind of wood, how thick is the wood, cooking time vs other methods, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Looks good, OPK.

Tell me more about planking; haven't tried it. What kind of wood, how thick is the wood, cooking time vs other methods, etc.
    I used cedar planks that you can get at any grocery store or big box hardware store. There is probably high-end Peruvian Tripleknot Cedar or some other made up name out there too.

1. Soak plank for at least half an hour.

2. You do not need to flip the fish. I put it on orange slices for moisture, not sure it ags flavor but I like to think it does. Cook skin side down.

3. Salmon took about 20 or 25 minutes -- as usual, you can tell by how it flakes better than any other way.

4. Some say you can clean and reuse the planks, I don't. Someone may have a better idea of whether that adds to the quality of the smoke or flavor.

Trying a lamb leg this afternoon, wish me luck! Did beef kabobs yesterday (gotta use sirloin) with sweet peppers. Yum yum yum.

image.jpg

Put it on right before the World Cup final, pulled it after extra time ended.

That lamb looks baaaaaaaaalicious!!

I own a Brinkman grill not a Big Green Egg, but I'm thinking this thread is open to BBQ discussions in general. I just rubbed some pork chops, which are back in the refrigerator waiting to go on the grill later this afternoon. Today's rub:

Garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper.

One staple ingredient of my standard rub (brown sugar) was left out based on several posts in this thread so I'm anxious to see how the chops turn out.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I own a Brinkman grill not a Big Green Egg, but I'm thinking this thread is open to BBQ discussions in general. I just rubbed some pork chops, which are back in the refrigerator waiting to go on the grill later this afternoon. Today's rub:

Garlic powder, paprika, black pepper, salt, cumin and cayenne pepper.

One staple ingredient of my standard rub (brown sugar) was left out based on several posts in this thread so I'm anxious to see how the chops turn out.
    Yum!

Brown sugar gives me a really dark/black bark for long smokes, not sure about something with a quicker cook like chops. Curious to hera your results!

The pork chops turned out great! I seared them over direct heat for a couple of minutes on each side and then pushed them to the side to use indirect heat until the internal temperature reached 145 degrees. They were nice and juicy with the rub providing satisfying flavor.
    Bob Green