Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    You can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them.

OPK BGE BBQ:

1. Get a nice butt, preferably bone-in. Not frozen.
    2. About 24 hrs before cooking, rub generously with plain yellow mustard (it does not add taste, just helps with step 3)
    3. Vigorous rub of spices (if you are using store bought, experiment. FWIW I did a blind test with ribs last year and Stubb's won)
    4. Wrap tightly with cellophane and put back in fridge.
    5. 24 hrs later, pull butt from fridge and put on counter.
    6. Start fire -- use good hardwood charcoal (I like Ozark)
    7. When flames end, close cover with top open until you get to around 275 or 300.
    8. Add apple or cherry wood chips, put in instert for indirect cooking (flat end down). Put a pan of Apple juice on the insert, then grill grate on top.
    9. Unwrap butt, put fat side down on to grill grate. Close top, and regulate temperature to 235.
    10. It will take about an hour to an hour and a half per pound. Internal temperature is the key though. I usually do not foil unless the heat runs high, I typically just mist with Apple juice.
    11. Pulled BBQ -- wait until internal temp. Is about 190-193. You will hit a plateau or two, but so not turn up the heat. That's nature happening in a yummy way. Or, some say that when you can easily pull the bone out, it's done.
    12. Pull from BGE, wrap in foil, wrap in blanket, put into a cooler with other blankets. Let the butt rest for at leat an hour, have done as long as three. Some say you can do it longer.
    13. Pull that bad boy out and watch it melt as you cut it.
    14. Serve. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, 15 -- send some this way!
    You said "get a nice butt..." , "pull butt from fridge", "Unwrap butt", and "Let the butt rest"... He heh He heh...(poor attempt at Beavis and B*head laughter inserted here)

Would have sporked you butt I still can't. (See what I did there?)

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    You said "get a nice butt..." , "pull butt from fridge", "Unwrap butt", and "Let the butt rest"... He heh He heh...(poor attempt at Beavis and B*head laughter inserted here)

Would have sporked you butt I still can't. (See what I did there?)
    You two are going to get your derrieres in trouble.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Boston butt is actually the upper front shoulder of the pig. The name comes from the way it was cut and stored (in a barrel, or "butt") in Colonial New England.

Right below that is the "picnic" and if you buy the whole shoulder it is often collectively referred to as a picnic.

Rump roast, by contrast, is from the rump. Usually tough meat.

Get to know a local butcher, even if it is the folks at the local chain market.

OPK, do you listen to Sir Mix A Lot when you grill?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Boston butt is actually the upper front shoulder of the pig. The name comes from the way it was cut and stored (in a barrel, or "butt") in Colonial New England.
    Which is how we came up with the term "buttload".
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Really glad to hear it turned out well!! Wish I could have some!! The brisket I had at The Fishin' Pig last week was awesome. I'll drive an hour and 20 this week for it again, and this time bring some home for wife and kids and friends!! Birthday is only 5 days away, so may seek BGE for B-day and F-day!!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Really glad to hear it turned out well!! Wish I could have some!! The brisket I had at The Fishin' Pig last week was awesome. I'll drive an hour and 20 this week for it again, and this time bring some home for wife and kids and friends!! Birthday is only 5 days away, so may seek BGE for B-day and F-day!!!
    FWIW, and would like to hear from others:

I have a large BGE. The rap on the extra large was that it did not hold heat as well. I think they just came out with an XXL.

If you get one, you may want to look into that issue. A large cooks a full bone-in butt, smoked the two boneless butts pictured above (almost 18 lbs combined). When you put in the indirect insert, it pushes the meat up into the bell and reduces the cooking area some.

A large is more than plenty for me, but give that some thought.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Which is how we came up with the term "buttload".
    I know better than to argue BBQ with you.

(Is your prep different than I set forth above? Inject, foil, temp? Other?)

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I know better than to argue BBQ with you.

(Is your prep different than I set forth above? Inject, foil, temp? Other?)
    Not much, after reading, I'd eat your 'cue anytime.
    I do inject; I love to play around with different recipes. For pork I often use peach juice. The last brisket I injected was a brine mix of cranberry juice, salt and garlic; it came out delicious. I wrap up once I hit 150, and if I am pressed for time move the meat over the coals to speed things along. I use lots of different woods, and never soak them. My neighborhood is plentiful with pecan trees, so I have a nice stock of that, and oak. I buy chunks of hickory, apple and cherry. For brisket, I also use mesquite, but in very small quantities and early on in the smoking process. Our first competition, my cooking partner TNT used a good bit of mesquite. We thought it was heavenly, as did the general public, but we got a comment card from a judge saying it was "chemically". TNT also did the chicken that contest (our first), and loves to use spices, and he got a lowly score (three sixes) from one judge, and a comment card saying it was way too hot. Since then, he has proudly served up his "Trip Six" sauce upon request. While we don't ever like getting low scores, we do at least like getting a comment card with them. Sometimes it is absolutely baffling as to what those judges are looking for, so when they give you a hint it is appreciated.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Wrapped, raw butts:

Attachment 4138

I would have thought the two, being so large, would almost touch -- not have such a gap.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    I would have thought the two, being so large, would almost touch -- not have such a gap.
    I used an upside-down "V" rack in the middle and kinda propped them up. It was a tight fit. After they shrunk down a bit, I turned them. (Note: with the V rack, it is a two-person job -- when you take one off, the other slides the rack). butt^butt.

Would have preferred a single bone-in, but there was a big BBQ competition here locally and it was Memorial Day Weekend. I started looking too late.

You can't stop them, you can only hope to contain them.

OPK BGE BBQ:

1. Get a nice butt, preferably bone-in. Not frozen.
    2. About 24 hrs before cooking, rub generously with plain yellow mustard (it does not add taste, just helps with step 3)
    3. Vigorous rub of spices (if you are using store bought, experiment. FWIW I did a blind test with ribs last year and Stubb's won)
    4. Wrap tightly with cellophane and put back in fridge.
    5. 24 hrs later, pull butt from fridge and put on counter.
    6. Start fire -- use good hardwood charcoal (I like Ozark)
    7. When flames end, close cover with top open until you get to around 275 or 300.
    8. Add apple or cherry wood chips, put in instert for indirect cooking (flat end down). Put a pan of Apple juice on the insert, then grill grate on top.
    9. Unwrap butt, put fat side down on to grill grate. Close top, and regulate temperature to 235.
    10. It will take about an hour to an hour and a half per pound. Internal temperature is the key though. I usually do not foil unless the heat runs high, I typically just mist with Apple juice.
    11. Pulled BBQ -- wait until internal temp. Is about 190-193. You will hit a plateau or two, but so not turn up the heat. That's nature happening in a yummy way. Or, some say that when you can easily pull the bone out, it's done.
    12. Pull from BGE, wrap in foil, wrap in blanket, put into a cooler with other blankets. Let the butt rest for at leat an hour, have done as long as three. Some say you can do it longer.
    13. Pull that bad boy out and watch it melt as you cut it.
    14. Serve. Enjoy.

Oh yeah, 15 -- send some this way!
    I thought it was supposed to be fat side up, so the juices run down onto the meat. Or does it make much difference?

I also find the large to be plenty big, and I have heard the XL really chews through a lot of charcoal. On the menu for next week is a smoked side of salmon. This is fun.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    I thought it was supposed to be fat side up, so the juices run down onto the meat. Or does it make much difference?
    It is a matter of debate. At 235, the meat cooks so slowly that you don't need the extra fat melt. But if CB&B disagrees, go with what he says.

It is a matter of debate. At 235, the meat cooks so slowly that you don't need the extra fat melt. But if CB&B disagrees, go with what he says.
    lol...I've never done it any way other than fat up, so hell if I know. I never have had it to compare to. When I trim my butts, picnics, or full shoulders, I'll cut off all the skin, and most of the fat with it. Then I rub the whole hunk o' meat, and wrap it back up with the skin and fat I cut off. When I flip it, I'll put the skin/fat on the new topside. The reason I cut off all that fat and skin is because I want the rub to work everywhere, and obviously it won't do much sitting a half inch away from where it will add most to the flavor of the finished barbecue.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    lol...I've never done it any way other than fat up, so hell if I know. I never have had it to compare to. When I trim my butts, picnics, or full shoulders, I'll cut off all the skin, and most of the fat with it. Then I rub the whole hunk o' meat, and wrap it back up with the skin and fat I cut off. When I flip it, I'll put the skin/fat on the new topside. The reason I cut off all that fat and skin is because I want the rub to work everywhere, and obviously it won't do much sitting a half inch away from where it will add most to the flavor of the finished barbecue.
    I should have done one butt sunny side up, and one fat down. Maybe July 4th.

CBAB, what different competitions do y'all attend? Do they have mystery cuts you must BBQ, or are they known cuts? Will y'all do any competitions in Virginia this year, and, if so, which?

Steven Raichlen's going to be at the Bourbon&Beer Festival per advertising I heard today-I think it's here in Richmond. Will check. I've had his book for several years about 425 recipes from across America, "BBQ USA."

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/05/19/...-bbq-festival/

Actually it's this weekend (Saturday) in Maryland. Doubt I'll attend.

We'll have to get together soon and compare notes. Any chance you'll be at the Virginia Pork Festival next week in Emporia? I plan to attend.

Wrapped, raw butts:

Attachment 4138 ...
    I was wondering where J.R. Reid was these days ...

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    CBAB, what different competitions do y'all attend? Do they have mystery cuts you must BBQ, or are they known cuts? Will y'all do any competitions in Virginia this year, and, if so, which?

Steven Raichlen's going to be at the Bourbon&Beer Festival per advertising I heard today-I think it's here in Richmond. Will check. I've had his book for several years about 425 recipes from across America, "BBQ USA."

http://barbecuebible.com/2014/05/19/...-bbq-festival/

Actually it's this weekend (Saturday) in Maryland. Doubt I'll attend.

We'll have to get together soon and compare notes. Any chance you'll be at the Virginia Pork Festival next week in Emporia? I plan to attend.
    We do KCBS, but we don't do many, just a couple a year. TNT's daughter is involved in volleyball now, which entails lots of traveling and spending money, and I'm still recovering from back surgery, so we haven't scheduled any yet. I got a notice about a new one in Asheboro in early August that looks like it might be fun.
    KCBS requires four categories. Pork, chicken, brisket and ribs. Most people do just butts for the pork, but I often will do a whole shoulder, too. With chicken, most do thighs, but you can do anything you want; last time we did wings, next time I am very tempted to do breasts. Most teams have their formula down, and do the exact same thing at each competition. We almost always do something different. Doesn't make for much in the way of consistency, but for us it is more fun. Same with tailgates; we never do the same menu twice, although our appetizers always include stuffed jalapenos.

I really like doing split-chicken breasts on the grill with Sauer's BBQ sauce-gives them a great twang. I salt and pepper them initially, let them sit out for about 30 minutes while the grill warming to about 375, put them skin-side down initially, get the grill marks, then flip them and only add the sauce the last 10 minutes or so. So it glazes and doesn't burn. Not sure if I've tried them in a smoker, yet, but will soon.