Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Brisket attempt 2 tomorow . Rubbed the brisket with yellow mustard and rub consisting of ⅓ cup each of brown sugar, kosher salt, course black pepper, chili powder, smoked paprika. Also soaking some chunks of hickory overnight. It's only a flat but I can't be around to put it on just 6 hours so I am going to try 215 degrees for 9 hours (6 lbs). Hope it turns out ok.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Brisket came out great. At one point the temp spiked to about 300 degrees for 20 mins or so but was brought back down to 250 quickly.

The problem I am having is still with the rub/bark. Maybe I caked the rub on too thick, but it was still very crumbly when the brisket came off. Any thoughts on how to make it a little crispier and part of the meat's coating so it can't just be knocked off like loose salt?

image.jpg

If I could describe the sweet cedar smell . . .

Salmon on a cedar plank, bed of clementines, with Georgia olive oil and fresh garden dill.

Mrs. OPK has veggies, but it is a surprise.
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 08-03-2014 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    image.jpg

If I could describe the sweet cedar smell . . .

Salmon on a cedar plank, bed of clementines, with Georgia olive oil and fresh garden dill.

Mrs. OPK has veggies, but it is a surprise.
    Did you soak your cedar plan before cooking, at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Channing View Post
    Did you soak your cedar plan before cooking, at all?
    Soaked in water for about half an hour; rubbed olive oil on both sides. put the plank on for about five or ten minutes.

Flipped the plank, put the citrus and fish on the plank, covered and cooked until the fish flaked (about 25 minutes at 325).

They say you are supposed to soak the plank longer, but I forgot to do it until I started the fire. Still came out great.

HINT: put something heavy on the plank to hold it under water -- a pot with some water works great.

Stone Brewing to have Richmond-based brewery?

http://www.timesdispatch.com/busines...7a43b2370.html

If the article is accurate, it's down to Columbus, Norfolk and Richmond. The site mentioned would be awesome as I know it very well, right on the river and very close to downtown (and a few projects). Very nice news-although not for some of the local breweries, perhaps. I just spent an hour with the owner of Legends and he's amenable to expansion and maybe with me. I'm trying to sell him on putting a big brewery in South Hill and opening a brewpub or two, which he already wants to do. He has 4 15bbl. fermenters for sale which I may try to buy; we walked his brewery and talked about his equipment and the industry, talked with his brewmaster about using locally grown hops for a beer or two.

Sorry, wrong thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Sorry, wrong thread!!
    It's all good. What's a BBQ without beer?
    Bob Green

I'm cooking a turkey on my Brinkman this Saturday afternoon. It is thawing in the fridge right now and I'll brine it on Friday after work. My brine's basic ingredients will be apple cider, salt, black pepper corns and garlic cloves. My turkey is 11.21 pounds so I'm looking at approximately 3.5 hours on the grill.

Most brine recipes I've seen call for sugar but I'm thinking the apple cider will supply sufficient sugar to the brine. I welcome comments on my thoughts.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I'm cooking a turkey on my Brinkman this Saturday afternoon. It is thawing in the fridge right now and I'll brine it on Friday after work. My brine's basic ingredients will be apple cider, salt, black pepper corns and garlic cloves. My turkey is 11.21 pounds so I'm looking at approximately 3.5 hours on the grill.

Most brine recipes I've seen call for sugar but I'm thinking the apple cider will supply sufficient sugar to the brine. I welcome comments on my thoughts.
    I have never brined or injected. I have two pork loins in the freezer, thinking of brining one and trying a side-by-side comparison by cooking both.

I have been brining my turkey for years and I have to be honest, I don't know if they've actually been better. So you got me thinking and I came across this really interesting take on brining turkey (I love scientific explanations when it comes to cooking technique).

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/11/t...nksgiving.html

Long and short of it is that brining may in fact not be the best technique. This chef advocates for dry salting the bird at most. And he really makes a point to tell you not to use cider if you do decide to brine.

I think I'm dropping the brine. It definitely IS a pain in arse.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I welcome comments on my thoughts.
    I would be happy to comment upon tasting the final product.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Thanks for the link! That was a very interesting article. Of course, I'm still brining my turkey.
    Bob Green

My turkey turned out nice

Bob Green

That looks A-MAZ-ING.

I'm resurrecting this thread, because I just got an Egg!!! I made my first effort last night...Peruvian roasted chicken (pretty much a basic roast chicken with a homemade chili-lime paste that goes under the skin and on the outside). I'm quite pleased with the results, and my wife was very complimentary as well.
    Peruvian chicken.jpg

I've got a lot of experience making pork shoulders, so I'm thinking about doing that this weekend for the Super Bowl. The guys at my local Ace Hardware say it's easy to hold the Egg at 200-225 and cook overnight, but I'm a little reticent. I know I can get good results if I just cook at more like 300 for 5 hours or so. I know there's been some "low and slow" discussion in this thread already, and I do want to take full advantage of that aspect of the Egg's capabilities. Any thoughts or advice?

thanks for reviving, I was thinking of doing the same.

(1) Your chicken looks great!
    (2) I am buying a BBQ Guru. Any thoughts on Cyber Q vs. Digi Q? does anyone have trouble with the wifi on the Cyber Q?

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread, because I just got an Egg!!! I made my first effort last night...Peruvian roasted chicken (pretty much a basic roast chicken with a homemade chili-lime paste that goes under the skin and on the outside). I'm quite pleased with the results, and my wife was very complimentary as well.
    Peruvian chicken.jpg

I've got a lot of experience making pork shoulders, so I'm thinking about doing that this weekend for the Super Bowl. The guys at my local Ace Hardware say it's easy to hold the Egg at 200-225 and cook overnight, but I'm a little reticent. I know I can get good results if I just cook at more like 300 for 5 hours or so. I know there's been some "low and slow" discussion in this thread already, and I do want to take full advantage of that aspect of the Egg's capabilities. Any thoughts or advice?
    very easy to hold a low temperature on the egg once it is set. Just make sure there is enough charcoal in the coal box.

Non Owner Question

How much experience does it take to get really good with the Egg?

I have a Weber gas grill now. Convenient. Thinking of getting an Egg.

Thanks

I am trying to convince myself that buying a fourth grill will be worth it, I always wanted a big green egg...I know they are kind of pricey unless the price has dropped some since last I looked.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRFORCEDUKIE View Post
    I am trying to convince myself that buying a fourth grill will be worth it, I always wanted a big green egg...I know they are kind of pricey unless the price has dropped some since last I looked.
    It hasn't dropped, but they're pretty widely available on Craigslist and the like. People tend to unload them when they move, rather than travel with a very heavy and somewhat fragile ceramic oven.