Nice Steve Kerr history

The Warriors' new coach, Steve Kerr, has a fascinating history. In college at the UofA he was one of the all-time great long range bombers, playing for the legendary Lute Olson. As a pro he played for 15 seasons under other coaching legends, Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich and Lenny Wilkens.

But, his greatest feat was as a freshman to overcome the political assassination of his father, then the President of the American University in Beirut.

The Contra Costa Times has a nice piece on him. It even describes a fight between Kerr and Michael Jordan. Kerr came out second best, but ya gotta like that. He coulda been a Blue Devil, given that dust-up; at least Blue Devils will admire him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    The Warriors' new coach, Steve Kerr, has a fascinating history. In college at the UofA he was one of the all-time great long range bombers, playing for the legendary Lute Olson. As a pro he played for 15 seasons under other coaching legends, Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich and Lenny Wilkens.

But, his greatest feat was as a freshman to overcome the political assassination of his father, then the President of the American University in Beirut.

The Contra Costa Times has a nice piece on him. It even describes a fight between Kerr and Michael Jordan. Kerr came out second best, but ya gotta like that. He coulda been a Blue Devil, given that dust-up; at least Blue Devils will admire him for it.
    That terrible incident provides a tenuous link between Kerr and Duke ...

In 1988, soon after his father's murder, Kerr was playing for Arizona at Arizona State when he was taunted with chants of "PLO, PLO" Officials from Arizona State issued a formal apology for the tasteless action of their fans.

I bring this up because I've seen the incident blamed on the Cameron Crazies on more than one occasions. Most often by know-nothing fans ... but often by supposedly informed journalist (I'm talking to you Bomani!).

I have also seen claims that the Cameron Crazies taunted Georgetown's Pat Ewing with gorilla arms (or chants), despite the fact that Ewing never played in Cameron.

I believe the recent Chip Engelland piece talked about how Kerr (who would attend Chip's h.s.) sat in the stands as an 8th grader watching Chip play.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    That terrible incident provides a tenuous link between Kerr and Duke ...

In 1988, soon after his father's murder, Kerr was playing for Arizona at Arizona State when he was taunted with chants of "PLO, PLO" Officials from Arizona State issued a formal apology for the tasteless action of their fans.

I bring this up because I've seen the incident blamed on the Cameron Crazies on more than one occasions. Most often by know-nothing fans ... but often by supposedly informed journalist (I'm talking to you Bomani!).

I have also seen claims that the Cameron Crazies taunted Georgetown's Pat Ewing with gorilla arms (or chants), despite the fact that Ewing never played in Cameron.
    When I was at Duke, Uncle Terry had just retired, but his Avuncular Letter still echoed.

That said, I recently saw on this website an article (Well Not Exactly) starting with a Mark Weidmer quote: " "Beyond that, every time a private school cheering section breaks into the 30-year-old Duke basketball chant, 'That's all right, that's OK, you will work for us one day,' during a loss to a public school, it exacerbates the shrinking civility between the two sides."

Our immediate objection here is that we're not sure we've ever heard that chant at Duke. It's primarily an Ivy League thing, or possibly Stanford."

My recollection is that I definitely heard that chant at Duke, and as a wide-eyed freshman, I thought it (and nearly everything fans did) was very clever. I reported it back to my old man as another "you wouldn't believe it here" story. But there's a catch. I didn't hear it in Cameron (we did not lose at home that year). I heard it at the football field, where there was losing more often than not at the time, thus the reason for the chant.

It just hit me in thinking about the Kerr/MJ fight: both of their fathers were murdered.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    When I was at Duke, Uncle Terry had just retired, but his Avuncular Letter still echoed.

That said, I recently saw on this website an article (Well Not Exactly) starting with a Mark Weidmer quote: " "Beyond that, every time a private school cheering section breaks into the 30-year-old Duke basketball chant, 'That's all right, that's OK, you will work for us one day,' during a loss to a public school, it exacerbates the shrinking civility between the two sides."

Our immediate objection here is that we're not sure we've ever heard that chant at Duke. It's primarily an Ivy League thing, or possibly Stanford."

My recollection is that I definitely heard that chant at Duke, and as a wide-eyed freshman, I thought it (and nearly everything fans did) was very clever. I reported it back to my old man as another "you wouldn't believe it here" story. But there's a catch. I didn't hear it in Cameron (we did not lose at home that year). I heard it at the football field, where there was losing more often than not at the time, thus the reason for the chant.
    That chant was definitely used at a couple of football games in the mid 90s too, but there were so few students there that it's likely the opposing team and their fans didn't hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post

That chant was definitely used in Duke Indoor Stadium. It's probably fifty (not thirty) years old. Used quite a bit (unfortunately) post Bubas.

Kerr did play in Cameron. Believe it was summer 2002 during K's Duke vs. All Stars game. Rodney Rogers and others also there. No negative cheers though My young daughter got Kerr's autograph after the game and he was quite gracious, speaking with us for several minutes.