Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ray-Ray to be Gone-Gone again

If there is any question that Phil Jackson is a smart basketball man:

http://theknicksblog.com/knicks/sour...ill-be-traded/

Ray Felton the first to go.

Dude killed us in college but has really let himself go. Time for him to retire. And what a dumpster fire the Knicks have become. After missing on Kerr, names that I heard being considered for the coaching job are Derek Fisher (who is still playing right now) and Tyron Lue (who was a backup PG for Phil Jackson maybe a decade ago).

P.S. Does anyone have a link to the youtube club of a Knicks fan watching a game and just verbally destroying Felton the whole time? That was epic.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    In February, one NBA executive told SNY.tv: “Felton is the worst starting point guard in the NBA. I’d take 10 college point guards and about 30 NBA backups over him right now.”
    Eek!!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Knicks President Phil Jackson told point guard Raymond Felton during exit meetings last month that he will be traded during the offseason, a league source told SNY.tv.
    That's not how you spell "released".
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    That's not how you spell "released".
    I guess having him play for the YMCA rec league counts as "trading" him.

And Kyrie Irving, the NYC area slinger, sitting over there in Cleveland waiting for a max-extension offer and thinking about his future...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Dude killed us in college but has really let himself go. Time for him to retire. And what a dumpster fire the Knicks have become. After missing on Kerr, names that I heard being considered for the coaching job are Derek Fisher (who is still playing right now) and Tyron Lue (who was a backup PG for Phil Jackson maybe a decade ago).

P.S. Does anyone have a link to the youtube club of a Knicks fan watching a game and just verbally destroying Felton the whole time? That was epic.
    I think Derek Fisher could make a very good NBA coach.

Then again, I'm not sure the media circus around the Knicks is a good entry-level option.

Mark Jackson is a local. And he's available.

And what a dumpster fire the Knicks have become. After missing on Kerr, names that I heard being considered for the coaching job are Derek Fisher (who is still playing right now) and Tyron Lue (who was a backup PG for Phil Jackson maybe a decade ago).
    As a Knicks diehard, I have to quibble a bit with the phrase "have become".

2000 - 2008 was the raging dumpster inferno.
    2008 - 2010 was the "Let's Get Lebron" era. At least they had a goal in mind
    2011 - 2014 has been ok, 3 playoff appearances in 4 years.

You can't say the Knicks have recently become a dumpster fire because that happened 14 years ago. But, you are correct that missing the playoffs has made the contents of the dumpster a little more flammable.

I refuse to cry about missing on Kerr. This is a case where the tail is wagging the dog. Kerr became a hot coaching name because Jackson was interested in him. He may have had his heart set on Golden State all along. The Mark Jackson situation was deteriorating for a long time. Kerr used the Knicks opening to boost his profile and make him seem like a really hot name. He wound up with the job he probably wanted all along and knew might open up.

I am optimistic about the Phil era. I wish we didn't have to rely only on his former players as potential coaches, especially ones with little to no coaching experience. I want no part of Mark Jackson, the dude seems like a drama queen. Tyron Lue? Maybe...at least he's been on the bench for a while. Considering all the assistants who have recently got head jobs and seem great (Stotts, Clifford, Budenholzer, etc), why not shake those trees? Do I think it's an ominous sign that the guy Phil wanted said no? Not really.

My favorite quote:
    In February, one NBA executive told SNY.tv: “Felton is the worst starting point guard in the NBA. I’d take 10 college point guards and about 30 NBA backups over him right now.”

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    As a Knicks diehard, I have to quibble a bit with the phrase "have become".

2000 - 2008 was the raging dumpster inferno.
    2008 - 2010 was the "Let's Get Lebron" era. At least they had a goal in mind
    2011 - 2014 has been ok, 3 playoff appearances in 4 years.

You can't say the Knicks have recently become a dumpster fire because that happened 14 years ago. But, you are correct that missing the playoffs has made the contents of the dumpster a little more flammable.

I refuse to cry about missing on Kerr. This is a case where the tail is wagging the dog. Kerr became a hot coaching name because Jackson was interested in him. He may have had his heart set on Golden State all along. The Mark Jackson situation was deteriorating for a long time. Kerr used the Knicks opening to boost his profile and make him seem like a really hot name. He wound up with the job he probably wanted all along and knew might open up.

I am optimistic about the Phil era. I wish we didn't have to rely only on his former players as potential coaches, especially ones with little to no coaching experience. I want no part of Mark Jackson, the dude seems like a drama queen. Tyron Lue? Maybe...at least he's been on the bench for a while. Considering all the assistants who have recently got head jobs and seem great (Stotts, Clifford, Budenholzer, etc), why not shake those trees? Do I think it's an ominous sign that the guy Phil wanted said no? Not really.
    Let me preface: I used to be a Knicks diehard. So your POV gets more weight than mine, in terms of blood/sweat/tears.

My Knicks fandom has really taken a monstrous hit. I still follow and root for them, and I'll watch them whenever it's convenient. But it all started in your "raging dumpster inferno" era and then solidified when I got to Duke in 2005 and found a substitute product to devote my blood/sweat/tears to.

First, I couldn't be happier that Felton is gone. UNC or not, that guy just stunk. Couldn't stand him. Good riddance (again).

Second, in terms of the coaching search, I'm really interested to see who signs up for this job. With Dolan's history of putting his hand in everything, the lack of draft picks, the salary cap situation / the Melo situation, and the lack of team success even with Melo (at least this year, and arguably across the last 4 years), it's not remotely surprising to me that Kerr stayed far away (opposite side of the country actually).

The Knicks have serious, structural issues that really make this team, shall I say, less than desirable. At least right now. Both for players and for coaches. I guess for us fans too.

I'll be happy to rejoin you, Billy, in hardcore Knicks fandom when they start playing a brand of basketball that I can truly buy into. Less iso, less hero-ball, more ball movement, and hard-nosed defense. And perhaps the very first step was their getting the heck rid of Raymond Felton. Hopefully for good.

- Chillin

Dude killed us in college
    Really? Felton's record against Duke was 2-5.

He averaged 14.5 points, 8.0 assists and 4.0 turnovers in the two wins (although it should be noted that he was 3-13 from the floor in UNC's 2005 win in Chapel Hill.

Thanks to a 25 point night in his first loss to Duke, he averaged 12.1 points in the five losses ... he also averaged 4.6 assists and 5.0 turnovers in those five games. I'd hardly say he killed us.

Are you sure you are not confusing Felton with Ty Lawson, who did give us a lot of trouble?

Quote Originally Posted by ChillinDuke View Post
    Let me preface: I used to be a Knicks diehard. So your POV gets more weight than mine, in terms of blood/sweat/tears.
    Ah, Chillin, we need you back. I assume you were too young to really enjoy the Ewing Era? I was born in 1972 so I didn't get to experience the title era. The first real joy for me was Bernard King. The Ewing/Riley Era was pretty great, as was the Ewing/Van Gundy era, which I assume you got a taste of.

You are correct that the brand of ball we've played in recent years isn't great. although last year was pretty good start to finish - a case of being the least objectionable year in 15, I guess. Faint praise, indeed.

Agree about Felton in his current state. He was good when he first got here and was in shape. While he didn't kill Duke, he used to kill the Knicks when he was with Charlotte.

As for the coach, it is hilarious that everyone was so gaga for Kerr when Stan Van was out there. I don't think Stan would ever go work for Jackson, but he's an awesome coach with a fantastic track record.

We shall see...but do come back to the fold. Now that Starter hasn't been seen around these parts for a while, the Knicks fan contingent on DBR is getting smaller and smaller...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Agree about Felton in his current state. He was good when he first got here and was in shape. While he didn't kill Duke, he used to kill the Knicks when he was with Charlotte.
    Then went right on killing them while with NY.

Www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K8s2K96GvY

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If there is any question that Phil Jackson is a smart basketball man
    i'm as big a knicks fan as anyone, but let's not jump the gun here: i think this clears up that phil is competent, or at least that his eyes work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by 91_92_01_10 View Post
    The Felton season in review video is here: http://youtu.be/AG2elv1zyb8 (it's even more profane... if that's possible)
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Hot-Hot Mess

Being reported that real reason Knicks lost Kerr was because they lowballed him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...-million-offer

Knicks offered three years @ $4.33 mil per rather than the 5 yrs @ $4.4 mil per he got at Golden State (not 5yr $25 mil previously reported)

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Being reported that real reason Knicks lost Kerr was because they lowballed him:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...-million-offer

Knicks offered three years @ $4.33 mil per rather than the 5 yrs @ $4.4 mil per he got at Golden State (not 5yr $25 mil previously reported)
    Regardless, that's way too much money for a first year coach... His time as a GM excluded of course. How is he the Golden Boy? I mean don't get me wrong, the NBA is filled with people who can't coach, but people think they can coach. Kerr just took one of their places. All Mark Jackson did was make Disney sports' movie speeches during timeouts. That team had so much talent and underachieved all year. Defense got better because the effort improved, I will give him that, the Dubs loved him, but he had no idea what he was doing X's and O's wise and mishandled all of his staff.

The next name that comes to mind for an NBA coach that people think is good, is Scott Brooks. That dude is just awful. His style of offense is terrible and could be good, and anybody who just drew lines on a whiteboard could draw up a better 10 seconds and under play. If he coached the Grizzlies, they wouldn't have made the playoffs.

God the NBA has really good players, but some of these people are just dumb.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    Regardless, that's way too much money for a first year coach... His time as a GM excluded of course. How is he the Golden Boy? I mean don't get me wrong, the NBA is filled with people who can't coach, but people think they can coach. Kerr just took one of their places. All Mark Jackson did was make Disney sports' movie speeches during timeouts. That team had so much talent and underachieved all year. Defense got better because the effort improved, I will give him that, the Dubs loved him, but he had no idea what he was doing X's and O's wise and mishandled all of his staff.

The next name that comes to mind for an NBA coach that people think is good, is Scott Brooks. That dude is just awful. His style of offense is terrible and could be good, and anybody who just drew lines on a whiteboard could draw up a better 10 seconds and under play. If he coached the Grizzlies, they wouldn't have made the playoffs.

God the NBA has really good players, but some of these people are just dumb.
    To play Devil's advocate, it ain't as easy as it looks. We have the GOAT and we couldn't get past Mercer (who got crushed by Tennessee) with two lottery picks.

I would say that Kerr's pedigree under both Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich, the two most successful NBA coaches of the past 25 years, is particularly appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I would say that Kerr's pedigree under both Phil Jackson and Greg Popovich, the two most successful NBA coaches of the past 25 years, is particularly appealing.
    Having competed for a famous coach does not automatically confer tactical and motivational excellence. Drew Gooden has played under Popovich, Doc Rivers, and Rick Carlisle. Stromile Swift played for Jeff Van Gundy and Hubie Brown. I would have concerns about Stromile Swift coaching my basketball team.