Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

2014 USA National Team Pre-Tournament Thread

Since it is our coach taking charge, this looks like something we should start paying attention to. A few leaks are coming out about who might be on this first big list. I will go on record again and say that this is stupid idea for 2014 much less 2016. Personally it makes more sense to me to name only a 2014 pool and do so much closer to the end of the NBA season. I think it works much better to not get too far ahead of ourselves.

Does anyone see any possible surprises? Who would you like to see get the chance this summer?

We are just over a week away from finding out the identity of the last four teams in the tournament followed by the draw that will give us our first five opponents.

Would love to see Kyrie and Steph on the team

Big men

Looks like Team USA will not have any issues with big men. Wow!

Given Kyrie's good-but-not-great play this year and the plethora of amazing PGs, he may be on the fence. On the flip-side, given the lack of outside shooting, I think Steph is a near guarantee.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Here is the roster split out by Guards/Wings/Bigs:

Bigs -
    LaMarcus Aldridge
    Tyson Chandler
    DeMarcus Cousins
    Anthony Davis
    Andre Drummond
    Kenneth Faried
    Blake Griffin
    Dwight Howard
    David Lee
    Kevin Love

Wings -
    LeBron James
    Carmelo Anthony
    Kevin Durant
    Paul George
    Andre Iguodala
    Kyle Korver
    Kawhi Leonard

Guards -
    Chris Paul
    Derrick Rose
    Stephen Curry
    Russell Westbrook
    Kyrie Irving
    Damian Lillard
    Deron Williams
    Klay Thompson
    Bradley Beal
    James Harden
    Gordon Hayward

There are a few things to look out for with this roster. One big one is injuries. Chris Paul has missed the last 9 Clips games with a shoulder injury. But his knees will be what to watch for. Deron williams has also missed a big chunk of games this year. Who knows how Derrick Rose will be this summer (or again, ever). Kyrie Irving and Steph Curry both also seem to get banged up a lot. That's a lot of lead guards with injury histories. Dwyane Wade is no longer on the roster, as he seems to be keeping mileage off his knees.

The next issue I'd watch out for is attitude. Some guys are not pre-disposed to buy into the team concept. Demarcus Cousins will have to go the extra mile to prove he is. Guys like Igoudala and Chandler who dont have egos and dont need shots seem be the favorites of Colangelo and K.

For this summer, I'd love to see some of the more junior guys play. A backcourt of Irving, Curry, George, Lillard, Harden and Korver, along with a frontcourt of Aldridge, Davis, Drummond, Love, Griffin and Leonard would be pretty good. We can expect the bigger names to sit out this summer, similar to 2010, right?

The Heat

No Wade or Bosh? Not a complete surprise because they both missed 2012, although not completely their fault, they were dealing with injuries.
    For those looking for tea leaves about where LeBron will play next year, this could add a little drama.

Players can be added to the team correct? Wasn't Anthony Davis added last minute to the 2012 USA team. Just wondering why it says 2014-2016.

Quote Originally Posted by Ichabod Drain View Post
    Players can be added to the team correct? Wasn't Anthony Davis added last minute to the 2012 USA team. Just wondering why it says 2014-2016.
    First Paragraph:"USA Basketball Chairman and National Team Managing Director Jerry Colangelo may add athletes at any time."

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    No Wade or Bosh? Not a complete surprise because they both missed 2012, although not completely their fault, they were dealing with injuries.
    For those looking for tea leaves about where LeBron will play next year, this could add a little drama.
    How does that add any drama? I think Team USA selection and NBA free agency are not tied together in any way.

Wade isn't playing because he can barely play half an NBA season any more. He's trying to extend his career.

Bosh's exclusion is a little weirder to me, but he may get added later.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    How does that add any drama? I think Team USA selection and NBA free agency are not tied together in any way.

Wade isn't playing because he can barely play half an NBA season any more. He's trying to extend his career.

If players indicate that they don't want to be on the roster, are their names removed? I'm sure Colangelo and Coach K have spoken with Bosh, Wade, Bryant, etc. before not including their names. These players may not want anything to do with Team USA anymore as they are old, injury prone, or just want to spend time with their families. Can't really blame them.

Lebron never said no to Team USA, but I'd be really surprised if he decided to play in 2014 or 2016. He's already accomplished so much and has little to prove.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    If players indicate that they don't want to be on the roster, are their names removed? I'm sure Colangelo and Coach K have spoken with Bosh, Wade, Bryant, etc. before not including their names. These players may not want anything to do with Team USA anymore as they are old, injury prone, or just want to spend time with their families. Can't really blame them.

Lebron never said no to Team USA, but I'd be really surprised if he decided to play in 2014 or 2016. He's already accomplished so much and has little to prove.
    Usually you hear about players turning roster spots down, such as in DWade's case. I hadn't heard anything about Bosh. But it sounds like a family thing:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/m...,1645391.story

"He was just not part of our mix last time in London," Colangelo said. "His own physical situation, he's concentrating on his NBA career.

"It's time for us to move on."

Bosh bypassed the 2012 Olympics, with his wedding schedule for that summer. He said his priority now is spending time with his children, indicated he, too, is done with the Olympic program.

drama?

LeBron went to Miami to play with Bosh and Wade. They are friends and have enjoyed success playing together. But Bosh and Wade's stars have dimmed while LeBron continues to separate himself as potentially the best player to ever play the game. Where he plays next year will be the biggest news of next offseason.

Bosh is an ideal international big who has played with USA basketball in the past. I find his exclusion (and in a lesser way, Wade) interesting. It is partially interesting, because it could signal the separation of LeBron and the Heat. Or it could mean nothing.

I find that interesting, that doesn't mean you have to.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast

Given that their idea to all go to the same team together was hatched during summers with USA Basketball, I wouldn't be surprised if it has some tangential impact on Lebron's next free agency move. There are a lot of talented young guys on this potential roster.

roster

Love the roster ... not too surprised to see Kobe, Wade and Bosh drop off. Actually, I'm a bit surprised (and delighted) to see LeBron still on it.

When K first started this thing, his big three were Kobe, LeBron and Carmello -- in that order. By 2012, LeBron had passed Kobe as No. 1.

I think in 2016, the big three will be LeBron, Durant and Paul George (who is blowing up in the NBA this year).

I think we will see some of the younger guys in the world championship this summer. Remember, in 2010, none of the original big three played. Young guys like Durant, Rose, Chandler, Love and Curry were the stars. I think they'll five the older guys -- especially LeBron and Carmello -- the summer off to rest up and be ready for Rio.

BTW: The only omission that surprised me was Roy Hibbert. He's having a great year (read an article recently suggesting that he's the frontrunner for the DPOY award). Obviously, he brings great size.

Maybe he just didn't want to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Love the roster ... not too surprised to see Kobe, Wade and Bosh drop off. Actually, I'm a bit surprised (and delighted) to see LeBron still on it.

When K first started this thing, his big three were Kobe, LeBron and Carmello -- in that order. By 2012, LeBron had passed Kobe as No. 1.

I think in 2016, the big three will be LeBron, Durant and Paul George (who is blowing up in the NBA this year).

I think we will see some of the younger guys in the world championship this summer. Remember, in 2010, none of the original big three played. Young guys like Durant, Rose, Chandler, Love and Curry were the stars. I think they'll five the older guys -- especially LeBron and Carmello -- the summer off to rest up and be ready for Rio.

BTW: The only omission that surprised me was Roy Hibbert. He's having a great year (read an article recently suggesting that he's the frontrunner for the DPOY award). Obviously, he brings great size.

Roy Hibbert is an interesting case. However, given the international game, you want a 5 who can rebound and shoot some. That's why I bolded Team USA's starting 5 above

He brings great size, shooting, and rebounding. He's not the best defender, but you don't need 5 insanely good defenders on the floor at once. That's what Paul George, Iggy, Davis, and Westbrook are for.

Speaking of D, the guards are pretty atrocious at D. Harden, Irving, Curry, Lillard, and Thompson are all sub-par defenders (and in the case of the first year, pretty terrible defenders). I could see this team being very heavy on 3s and light on traditional 2s.

I believe Hibbert has duel citizenship, USA/Jamaica. He has played with the Jamaican national team in the past. I am not sure that he would be eligible, even if he got an offer.

Roy Hibbert played on a Jamaican national team when he was younger.

Quote Originally Posted by timmy c View Post
    I believe Hibbert has duel citizenship, USA/Jamaica. He has played with the Jamaican national team in the past. I am not sure that he would be eligible, even if he got an offer.
    Yup: http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/pos...-chances-bleak

hibbert

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Thanks for the link -- that explains a lot.

I knew Hibbert was born in New York City, but I guess that doesn't matter ... after all, Kyrie was born in Australia.

I wonder where Wiggins will eventually play international ball? He's listed as a Canadian and was born there, but I know his father was an American (his mother a Canadian track star)

Thanks for the link -- that explains a lot.

I knew Hibbert was born in New York City, but I guess that doesn't matter ... after all, Kyrie was born in Australia.

I wonder where Wiggins will eventually play international ball? He's listed as a Canadian and was born there, but I know his father was an American (his mother a Canadian track star)
    I think that depends on how good Wiggins will be. If he's Lebron-esque or anything close, I'm sure he'll want to play for Team USA. If he's really good but not great and likely won't start for Team USA for even be a 6th, 7th, or 8th man, why not be the star of Team Canada?