Golf Anchor Should Get the Ultimate Penalty

Couldn't find the "Sports cliches to be retired" thread, but the NBC dude serving as anchor for the Players' Championship just said, "... Jordan Spieth's bogey-free scrambling has been metronomic..."

He did have 13+ up-and-downs in the tournament, but WTF does this dufus mean?

Hahaha, wish I'd been not dozing on the couch during that....
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Who said it? Certainly not our buddy from NCSU, Terry Gannon? Sounds more like a Johnny Miller comment.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    Who said it? Certainly not our buddy from NCSU, Terry Gannon? Sounds more like a Johnny Miller comment.
    Sounds more like Tirico to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ... metronomic..." W ... does this dufus mean?
    "Mechanically regular."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/metronomic

Why so bothered? Seems pretty descriptive to me (i've been in the presence of a metronome recently, however, so maybe it resonates more for me). And I'm one with a bunch of pet peeves when it comes to language usage -- but this one doesn't bug me.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Sounds more like Tirico to me.
    No, he's ESPN. Perhaps Dan Hicks, the usual NBC golf anchor?

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I believe it was Todd Lewis, who has a North Carolina background: UNCG for college, TV sports in W-S, Wilmington and WRAL (weekend), before moving to Orlando. He's been on the Golf Channel for 5-6 years.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "Mechanically regular."

Why so bothered? Seems pretty descriptive to me (i've been in the presence of a metronome recently, however, so maybe it resonates more for me). And I'm one with a bunch of pet peeves when it comes to language usage -- but this one doesn't bug me.
    I have to agree. I knew what he meant and thought the comment was an apt description.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    "Mechanically regular."

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    I have to agree. I knew what he meant and thought the comment was an apt description.
    Tick, tock, tick, tock?? Nah, he still deserves to be horse-whipped. "Scrambling" is hardly "metronomic," is it? Ben Hogan might have been metronomic: fairway, green, putt, putt; fairway, green, putt, putt; fairway, etc... Jordan Spieth was merely "artful," or perhaps "perfect," in that he played three-plus rounds without a bogey.

But, whatever floats your boat or beats your drum...

Kindly, Sage
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The DBR forums have been known to piss me off from time to time, but it's threads like these that actually restore my faith that there are still intellectuals out there on the internet, and therefore, in the real world.

Intellectuals, or pedants?

Sage, I missed the word scrambling -- focusing on your bolded "metronomic." I agree the two don't go together. Carry on with advocating violence ...

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    The DBR forums have been known to piss me off from time to time, but it's threads like these that actually restore my faith that there are still intellectuals out there on the internet, and therefore, in the real world.
    Nah, it's the internets, they're all morons who are catfishing as smart people.

I thought the thread topic referred to giving a stroke-and-distance penalty to anyone who makes a stroke with a belly putter. It would be pretty funny, making guys like Bernhard Langer re-putt from five feet.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Nah, it's the internets, they're all morons who are catfishing as smart people.

I thought the thread topic referred to giving a stroke-and-distance penalty to anyone who makes a stroke with a belly putter. It would be pretty funny, making guys like Bernhard Langer re-putt from five feet.
    That would increase his time to finish a round from five hours to six.

Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    That would increase his time to finish a round from five hours to six.
    Stroke and distance would surely cause a change in putters, since all putts would require a re-do. Or he could putt forever just to be obstinate. Putting forever caused him to use the belly putter in the first place. Bernhard and Sam Snead tried everything. Bernhard will lose the belly putter option soon (2016), just like Snead lost the croquet-style putter option (late-1960s). Question: does the Sam Snead Rule make a lot of quickie tap-ins technically illegal? A lot of younger players may even be unaware of the rule.

http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...your_legs.html
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by killerleft View Post
    Question: does the Sam Snead Rule make a lot of quickie tap-ins technically illegal?
    I think there's a ruling allowing tap-ins. Many of them are still technically playing out of turn however. (Playing out of turn has no penalty in stroke play, but in a match your opponent can make you re-hit.)