Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    i thought it was a '69 chevy....

the many times i've seen him, that's what it always came across as...

regardless, i'm pretty sure bruce owns MANY of the greatest lines EVER in rock n roll history....

ps...just listened to my copy of Bruce Live at the Fox theater, Darkness on The Edge of Town tour....78.....it's definitely "'69" ----just a little trivia, this show was the show that turned my life. After seeing him in Columbia SC (township auditorium), i skipped work (as a packaging engineer) and headed to Atlanta to take in another show....it was so powerful, it was majestic, surreal, as if elvis himself had come down from on-high to deliver the "future of rock n roll's" crown to him personally..... I walked out plotting my escape from corporate america...
    I think Ymobethere's point was that Patty Griffin got the lyric wrong in her cover version.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    She says '59 Chevy in this video, I listened a couple times to confirm. Given that The Boss' lyrics were kinda off because Fuelie heads would not fit on a Chevy 396 Big Block, maybe it is fitting that she uses a different year.
    I don't know what a Fuelie head is or a Chevy 396 except that it is also in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivGgqnXytwY

A fuelie head was a cylinder head designed for a fuel injected Chevy engine, I'm not sure if they are meant from the mid-50's cars that had it or the later('60's) Corvettes that utilized fuel injection. Either way, those engines were small blocks versus the 396 big block that Messrs. Earle and Springsteen are singing about. Here 396 refers to the cubic inch displacement of the engine. Now we often talk in liters of displacement(approximately 61 cubic inches in a liter). A 396 placed in a relatively lightweight Nova body could be a pretty fierce contender on the drag strip particularly if some work were done to the components of said engine. It would still be a stout task for it taking on some of the more notable cars of the day, the Hemi 'cudas, LS-6 Chevelles, the Ram Air II Firebirds (http://youtu.be/t4u9llY1h-4) and of course the true King of the Strip, the L-88 Corvettes.

As can be seen in my posts in the LTE, I am a GM guy(grandfather and I both worked for them) but am also a double ABC(Anything but Chevy and Anybody but Carolina).

PS It should be noted that Bruce sings about a '32 Ford in some versions of this song. No idea when the Fords had fuel injection available.

"Because The Night" was in the last show...

http://brucespringsteen.net/2014?cat=8#setList

He's in Hershey PA tomorrow, only about an hour and a half from the Turk roost... But it's a school night and I don''t bounce back from these adventures the way I used to...

If it was Duke hoops, no brainer. Hmmm...
    "Quality is not an option!"

A fuelie head was a cylinder head designed for a fuel injected Chevy engine, I'm not sure if they are meant from the mid-50's cars that had it or the later('60's) Corvettes that utilized fuel injection. Either way, those engines were small blocks versus the 396 big block that Messrs. Earle and Springsteen are singing about. Here 396 refers to the cubic inch displacement of the engine. Now we often talk in liters of displacement(approximately 61 cubic inches in a liter). A 396 placed in a relatively lightweight Nova body could be a pretty fierce contender on the drag strip particularly if some work were done to the components of said engine. It would still be a stout task for it taking on some of the more notable cars of the day, the Hemi 'cudas, LS-6 Chevelles, the Ram Air II Firebirds (http://youtu.be/t4u9llY1h-4) and of course the true King of the Strip, the L-88 Corvettes.

As can be seen in my posts in the LTE, I am a GM guy(grandfather and I both worked for them) but am also a double ABC(Anything but Chevy and Anybody but Carolina).

PS It should be noted that Bruce sings about a '32 Ford in some versions of this song. No idea when the Fords had fuel injection available.
    Well I'm not a car guy but I do like songs about cars. Steve Earle is definitely a Chevy guy. Almost all of his car references are Chevrolet with the exception of a "big block Dodge" in Copperhead Road and a couple of Coupe DeVille references in his early Rockabilly songs.

related to "king richard", so i was Mopar….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

But there are times where no one can touch The Boss:

http://youtu.be/auxoh_SvSBE
    That song, and in particular the Big Man's solo, always sends chills down my spine. Thanks for that clip. One of the best of the best.