Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Watches

Watches

Anyone have a favorite watch or watches?
    I've got a few throwaways, like Timex Weekenders, for fun.

My parents gave me nice watches as graduation gifts- a Seiko dive watch, and a Raymond Weil.
    I like my Basis band, but my favorite is probably my Fitzroy manual.

Way too expensive but I hope to someday find a 1972 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak in decent shape.

Any other watch collector / enthusiasts out there?

This is another generational hobby I think is losing audience.

Not a watch collector or enthusiast, but I am very pleased with my Citizen. Both the case and the band are titanium, so it feels much lighter than a SS watch with a metal band.

For about $250, I feel good wearing it, but don't have to worry if something were to happen to it. My boss lost a $12k Rolex the other day, and was seriously stressing over it (even though he had insurance).

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Anyone have a favorite watch or watches?
    I've got a few throwaways, like Timex Weekenders, for fun.

My parents gave me nice watches as graduation gifts- a Seiko dive watch, and a Raymond Weil.
    I like my Basis band, but my favorite is probably my Fitzroy manual.

Way too expensive but I hope to someday find a 1972 Audemars Piguet Royal Oak in decent shape.

Any other watch collector / enthusiasts out there?

This is another generational hobby I think is losing audience.
    You're dating yourself. Young'uns (under 30) mostly don't wear watches. Damned ubiquitous phones with their almost perfectly network-synced clocks. (Get off my lawn! Where's Bill with the beer?) Anyway...

I have simple requirements: Water resistant to 50 meters. (Not that I ever go that deep, but depth ratings are based on still water. Waves and rivers can really force their way in.) High contrast glow-in-the-dark. (I'm nearsighted and can't see a clock at night. And something to orient me to either 12 or 3, too.) Reasonably decent looking so I don't have to change watches for the occasion. (I'm lazy.) Long life battery or auto charging. (See last rationale. My battery watch needed one new battery in 15 years. My first auto-charging watch lost the ability to hold a charge after 12 years or I'd still be wearing it.)

So: I've had - quite contentedly - three watches over the last 35 years. Two Seikos and (currently) a Citizen. The first had the battery; the last two being auto charging. On the other side, my wife wears a particular, and fairly inexpensive, battery model of Timex. She buys a new one every two or three years. (Alas, it's almost, but not quite, entirely water resistant.) We're both happy.

I have no desire to collect "special" watches. They're tools. Expendable tools, too - but those kids...

-jk

Funny, I was shopping for watches last night online. I'm really considering a Michael Kors watch for $250.

For the life of me, I don't know why someone would pay 12k for a watch.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    You're dating yourself. Young'uns (under 30) mostly don't wear watches. Damned ubiquitous phones with their almost perfectly network-synced clocks. (Get off my lawn! Where's Bill with the beer?) Anyway...

I have simple requirements: Water resistant to 50 meters. (Not that I ever go that deep, but depth ratings are based on still water. Waves and rivers can really force their way in.) High contrast glow-in-the-dark. (I'm nearsighted and can't see a clock at night. And something to orient me to either 12 or 3, too.) Reasonably decent looking so I don't have to change watches for the occasion. (I'm lazy.) Long life battery or auto charging. (See last rationale. My battery watch needed one new battery in 15 years. My first auto-charging watch lost the ability to hold a charge after 12 years or I'd still be wearing it.)

So: I've had - quite contentedly - three watches over the last 35 years. Two Seikos and (currently) a Citizen. The first had the battery; the last two being auto charging. On the other side, my wife wears a particular, and fairly inexpensive, battery model of Timex. She buys a new one every two or three years. (Alas, it's almost, but not quite, entirely water resistant.) We're both happy.

I have no desire to collect "special" watches. They're tools. Expendable tools, too - but those kids...

-jk
    Hey now, I'm a young fella (22) but like to look nice at work...and I sell those ubiquitous phones

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Hey now, I'm a young fella (22) but like to look nice at work...and I sell those ubiquitous phones
    Cool - you're in a perfect place for the study: For the next 10 days, how many paying customers have watches on and what are their ages (I think you get that on their applications)?

I think it's rather skewed older...

-jk

Cool - you're in a perfect place for the study: For the next 10 days, how many paying customers have watches on and what are their ages (I think you get that on their applications)?

I think it's rather skewed older...

-jk
    Actually, I sold a watch today (Galaxy Gear). Not sure how familiar you are with it, but it's pretty sweet if you have a Galaxy phone. The guy I sold it to was mid twenties. I've noticed these "smart watches" are really catching on with the young people.

Funny, I was shopping for watches last night online. I'm really considering a Michael Kors watch for $250.

For the life of me, I don't know why someone would pay 12k for a watch.
    It's not a perfect analogy, but if all we needed was basic transportation, everyone could drive a $15k Honda Civic. Why bother with a $150k Porsche?

Maybe more on point, who needs Wicked Weed when you can buy Bud Light? ;-p

-jk
    I feel both young in age and at heart :-)

You can get a low end mechanical Seiko (the Seiko 5) starting around $50. If you find a style you like, you may not need to buy another.

I hate to brag...well, really I love to brag, but I gave my husband the least expensive Patek Phillipe on the day we were married lo, those many moons ago. I was really proud of myself for scratching together that much cash and he still wears it today.
    Did I clearly establish how proud I am of us and this 'still hanging on' marriage?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    It's not a perfect analogy, but if all we needed was basic transportation, everyone could drive a $15k Honda Civic. Why bother with a $150k Porsche?

Maybe more on point, who needs Wicked Weed when you can buy Bud Light? ;-p
    Does anyone make a watch with 4 or 5 blades you can shave with, too?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Does anyone make a watch with 4 or 5 blades you can shave with, too?
    And with a bottle opener, obviously.

Fuse, what brand of watch would you recommend under $500.

I love watches. I doubt I'd qualify as a "collector" though. I have a Citizen my wife gave me, a couple G-Shocks, an Emporio Armani I got as a groomsmen's gift, and a couple of pocket watches I wear with my galluses under my suit (one of which was my grandfather's). My most prized watch, though, was willed to me by an old family friend. It's the moon watch, a 1960's vintage, hand wind, Omega Speedmaster II. That baby is SWEET. I'm more of a knife guy than a watch guy, though.

Oh, and somewhere in a box, I still have my 1980's Comet Swatch with the rubber band protector. Remember those?
    Last edited by bjornolf; 05-06-2014 at 10:55 PM.

My go-to watches are two Citizen Eco-Drive watches (which I love), and I also have a G-Shock watch that I wear casually. I have a box of Invicta watches that I haven't worn but are okay...they do look nice though but I just don't need 10 watches. The 3 I wear are pretty frequent.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Watch yourself

No love for the Timex Ironman? That's been my only watch of the last 20 years or so. Durable, inexpensive, utilitarian. Couple downsides:

- When I didn't own a watch, I had a remarkable sense of time - I could often guess the time of day within 5 minutes. With a watch as a crutch (and also from using a computer with the time continuously displayed), I lost that sense.

- I have never successfully replaced an Ironman battery. I have all the mini-screwdrivers and so forth, but things never go back right. Most recently, after the band broke, and the alarm chirp had gotten quite weak, I took out the battery to see if I could put it back OK. I did, and got the back on, but for some reason, the buttons on the side of the watch would no longer press in. It was as if they were already pressed in and were stuck that way. It's always something. I guess there are places that will change it out for you, but it annoys me greatly that this one task has always eluded me (even before I started losing my near-range vision and required reading glasses/bifocals).

And with a bottle opener, obviously.

Fuse, what brand of watch would you recommend under $500.
    That's a tough question- I'm pretty sure there are dozens of websites/bulletin boards devoted to that debate.

It's a bit out of the $500 price range, but I've had my eye on Shinola watches (made in Detroit).
    They run $550-$800, look stylish, made in the US.

Under 500? There are a lot of "fashion" watches (like the Michael Kors you mentioned) in that price range.
    All depends on what you want- you can get a nice Casio G-Shock, decent Seikos, Nixon, etc.
    Check the Hodinkee website for more info than you want :-)
    Websites like Cool Material have some pretty drool worthy watches they review.

Like cars, watches are a lot about personal style.

Quote Originally Posted by bjornolf View Post
    I love watches. I doubt I'd qualify as a "collector" though. I have a Citizen my wife gave me, a couple G-Shocks, an Emporio Armani I got as a groomsmen's gift, and a couple of pocket watches I wear with my galluses under my suit (one of which was my grandfather's). My most prized watch, though, was willed to me by an old family friend. It's the moon watch, a 1960's vintage, hand wind, Omega Speedmaster II. That baby is SWEET. I'm more of a knife guy than a watch guy, though.

Oh, and somewhere in a box, I still have my 1980's Comet Swatch with the rubber band protector. Remember those?
    Vintage Omega Speedmaster II plus memories/ stories to go with it? That is sweet.

Never owned a swatch although I had plenty of friends that did.

I don't own any pocket watches, but there are some pretty neat ones.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    No love for the Timex Ironman? That's been my only watch of the last 20 years or so. Durable, inexpensive, utilitarian. Couple downsides:

- When I didn't own a watch, I had a remarkable sense of time - I could often guess the time of day within 5 minutes. With a watch as a crutch (and also from using a computer with the time continuously displayed), I lost that sense.

- I have never successfully replaced an Ironman battery. I have all the mini-screwdrivers and so forth, but things never go back right. Most recently, after the band broke, and the alarm chirp had gotten quite weak, I took out the battery to see if I could put it back OK. I did, and got the back on, but for some reason, the buttons on the side of the watch would no longer press in. It was as if they were already pressed in and were stuck that way. It's always something. I guess there are places that will change it out for you, but it annoys me greatly that this one task has always eluded me (even before I started losing my near-range vision and required reading glasses/bifocals).
    I think I owned a Timex Ironman once. It was a decent watch, I think the "Indiglo" night lighting was a key feature at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    My go-to watches are two Citizen Eco-Drive watches (which I love), and I also have a G-Shock watch that I wear casually. I have a box of Invicta watches that I haven't worn but are okay...they do look nice though but I just don't need 10 watches. The 3 I wear are pretty frequent.
    You've hit the nail on the head. I think I have about seven watches, not counting my Basis band.
    Hard to wear them all at once. Only four of them are "keepers" though- the others are just inexpensive fun.
    $20 for a Timex weekender is easy to justify.

Second the Citizen endorsement

On a whim I decided to go buy a "nice" watch to replace my Timex. I don't remember the brand, but it cost well over $100. About 7 months in, the pin on the side came out and the watch quit working. I exchanged it for an identical one at the store, but after about the same amount of time, the second one broke in the same way. So I went back to the Timex.

One qualification for me is the watch have a glow in the dark face, light, or indiglo. I am often outside late at night and have found that a nice watch without a light is pretty useless when it is dark. So that was my only requirement.

I bought a Citizen Eco-Drive for around $200 a year and a half ago and have been very happy with it. It has a glow in the dark face and keeps excellent time. It's not overly pretentious like a Rolex, but not cheaply made either. I think it's a good buy for the quality.

Now, I bought my wife one as well that was slightly more expensive, and she basically refuses to wear it for fear she will "mess it up." She works in science education, but usually "forgets" to change if we're going out somewhere nice. I have seen it on her wrist maybe 10 times in the last year. The rest of the time she sticks with her old digital Timex. Annoys me to no end.
    "There can BE only one."