Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Looking Forward

Well, I'm looking forward to the Belmont at the end of the week. It has been a while since the last Triple Crown winner. I was there, front row center in the mezzanine, to see Affirmed beat Alydar. So many Win tickets were purchased and not cashed on Affirmed that day, including my $2 ducket souvy. A bit more valuable than the $2 Spectacular Bid coupon I had.., but I digress.

California Chrome was the only horse that dominated going into the Derby, so you have to think that as long as his rider doesn't chase a rabbit or pull a Smarty Jones (hit the accelerator early), and if his trainer can avoid dropping any safety pins in his stall (Oh poor Bud Delp and Spectacular Bid), we might have something to crow about.

Ride On Curlin has shown himself to be formidable, but he doesn't have the advantage of taking the Preakness of as a breather like some of the other new horses entering the race, and he still hasn't shown he can get past CC. But that didn't stop Bet Twice beating the very game Alysheba in an eye popping performance.

Wicked Strong is capable of a big performance in NYC, although his biggest performance was at Aqueduct and Belmont (but he did break his maiden at big Sandy); look for Wicked Strong to try to "avenge" is broodmare sire's loss in the Belmont. His broodmare sire being the wonderful story in his own right Charismatic. Remember Charismatic who was the first "Claimer" to enter and win the Kentucky Derby and the Preakness no less. Then to take the lead in the Belmont, with the Triple Crown in sight, only to lose to Lemon Drop Kidd and to be pulled up just after the finish line with a broken leg (perhaps what was bothering him in that last furlong). Who knows who else will enter; is Sham making a comeback!

Larry
    DevilHorse

The first Saturday in June... it's not just for the CFA exam.

BTTT with a reminder the Belmont Stakes is today. Post time is 6:52 pm EDT:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...even/10046025/
    Bob Green

Have placed many wagers on today's race. Many exotics, i.e. trifecta and super boxes/wheels. Hoping CC doesn't win so I can truly cash in

Was able to place win bets on any horse not named CC and if CC wins I get all my cash back, all $17. I love a no-lose situation!!

California Chrome broke clean and got to the rail but was quickly back in 3rd or 4th place so the jockey was forced to take him outside and he never threaten to take the lead. Affirmed rules!!!
    Bob Green

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    California Chrome broke clean and got to the rail but was quickly back in 3rd or 4th place so the jockey was forced to take him outside and he never threaten to take the lead. Affirmed rules!!!
    Money quote today during the broadcast: "California Chrome is no Secretariat" by the announcer describing similarities in their appearance. No offense Bob, but compared to Secretariat, Affirmed is an also ran. Secretariat holds the record for all three triple crown races and his Belmont win is arguably the greatest horse race performance ever. At the Preakness, the official track clock malfunctioned but independent timers clocked Big Red at a Preakness record time. His record was made official in 2012

http://espn.go.com/horse-racing/stor...akness-changed

Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    No offense Bob, but compared to Secretariat, Affirmed is an also ran.
    Perhaps you missed my previous post up thread:

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    However, the horse to remember is Secretariat!
    No offense taken.
    Bob Green

My parents have a locket of Secretariat's hair(tail). We got to see him at Claiborne Farm around '80-'81. We were visiting family friends from the Army(they were at Blue Grass Army Depot) and they knew someone at Claiborne so we got a tour. At the end of the tour, the stable hand looked around, took some hair from his tail and handed it to my sister. I was thinking at the time that hopefully it didn't have any poop on it.