Spiderman 2 (Or I Guess 5) - Spoilers

So (to me anyway) the official summer movie season kicked off today with the release of Spiderman 2. I saw it. Spoilers coming.......

OK, you've been warned.

I don't see previews, so all I knew is that Electro was in it, and I read by accident that the Green Goblin made an appearance as well (would have been nice not to know that). I do, however, look at Rotten Tomatoes before a movie is released, then tend to browse through the headlines (which don't give spoilers). Right now Rotten Tomatoes has this movie at 54%, which they consider a bust. I must say....I am pretty shocked by that.

I enjoyed. I really enjoyed it. I thought it was better than the original remake (if that makes sense). It was much, much better than Spiderman3. I enjoyed it as much (if not more) than Captain America 2. I thought the acting was good. The action was good. The villains were good, and the setup for the next movie was good.

Of course the big thing that happens at the end....spoiler....

Follows the comic books, with Gwen getting killed by the Green Goblin. Well, technically by Spiderman as he throws a web down to catch her as she falls, which breaks her back. For a brief moment, I thought that they would have her live (and that would have ruined the movie for me), but they didn't. And it made it more powerful, and more real.

So, it wasn't perfect. I didn't like at all that the Green Goblin figured out that Spiderman was Peter. If his identity is known, then anyone can come after him, or leak it, or anything. I didn't like the story line with Peter's father (the fake subway, or the "I love my son, but I have to leave and take the venom because it might be used for evil, even though the only people that can use it correctly are me and anyone in my blood line). It just didn't make sense.

But overall I thought it was a really fun summer blockbuster, and I did not leave disappointed (as I did with Spidey3, X-Men 3, Iron Man 3 and others).

I will say....I HATED the end credit added scene. Why? BECAUSE IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SPIDERMAN. It was simply a clip preview for the next X-Man movie. That's just lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame with a huge siding of lazy self-promotion. Don't screw with a good thing, and don't add another preview. Put those at the beginning. And all of us who hate watching the previews had to suddenly close our eyes and cover our ears.

Oh well. The next Spiderman should be great. It looks like Doc Ock (my favorite Spidey villain of all-time and my second favorite bad guy behind The Joker) will be there, as will Rhino and the Green Goblin, and Hawkeye. That will be cool. But given that they know Spidey is Peter Parker, I'm not quite sure how it works. Would be fun if they could bring back Electro as well....because he was a decent bad guy for sure.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Te N&O's reviewer gave it a D+. (Well, actually the Charlotte Observer's reviewer, but essentially one and the same.)

http://www.newsobserver.com/2014/05/...p=/99/107/153/

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    I will say....I HATED the end credit added scene. Why? BECAUSE IT HAD NOTHING TO DO WITH SPIDERMAN. It was simply a clip preview for the next X-Man movie. That's just lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame, lame with a huge siding of lazy self-promotion. Don't screw with a good thing, and don't add another preview. Put those at the beginning. And all of us who hate watching the previews had to suddenly close our eyes and cover our ears
    It actually wasn't self-promotion, but cross-promotion. Sony has the rights to Spider-Man; Fox has the rights to X-Men. This article in Variety provides an explanation:

“Spider-Man” director Marc Webb had an existing contract with Fox Searchlight to helm another film following 2009′s “500 (Days) of Summer.” After “The Amazing Spider-Man” in 2012, Webb’s negotiations briefly stalled with Sony as he was caught in a tug-of-war with Fox. Eventually, Fox agreed to allow Webb to direct Sony’s “Spider-Man” sequel, but only if Sony would promote its “X-Men” film for free.
    The article goes on to mention that this cross-promotion has been confusing to viewers so far, who are wondering if Spider-Man and the X-Men would be combined into one movie. They won't. But if they did...