Thread: RIP Dr. Jack

RIP Dr. Jack

Dr. Jack Ramsay has passed. He and Hubie Brown were/are the most insightful NBA analysts out there. I'll miss his commentary.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-77-title-dies

Quote Originally Posted by nmduke2001 View Post
    Dr. Jack Ramsay has passed. He and Hubie Brown were/are the most insightful NBA analysts out there. I'll miss his commentary.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...-77-title-dies
    Amen to that. Loved the guy. He and Hubie are at the top of my list as well, because they actually do the job: they analyze the game, and do so for the thinking basketball person without all the tired cliches and the theatrics and the self-promotion and the name-dropping and other shenaningans. Lots of "analysts" make me want to turn the volume down. With these two, I want to turn it up. I'll miss the good Dr.

He was not just a good analyst but an NBA Championship head coach for the Portland Trailblazers in 1977 with Bill Walton, Maurice Lucas, Dave Twardzik, Lionel Hollins, and Bob Gross. The Blazers' only championship. Adios, amigo.

Ramsay was also a most successful coach at the college level - making St. Josephs in Philadelphia a power in the 50's and 60's. A huge loss to the sport and a loss of a fine man. RIP

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    He was not just a good analyst but an NBA Championship head coach for the Portland Trailblazers in 1977 with Bill Walton, Maurice Lucas, Dave Twardzik, Lionel Hollins, and Bob Gross. The Blazers' only championship. Adios, amigo.
    Makes you wonder what type of dynasty Portland might have been had Walton not had terrible injuries. On "Mike and Mike" this morning they mentioned that Bob Ryan will argue with anyone that Bill Walton's best years were better than anyone that ever played the game during their best years.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ramsay was also a most successful coach at the college level - making St. Josephs in Philadelphia a power in the 50's and 60's. A huge loss to the sport and a loss of a fine man. RIP
    Yeah, one of Ramsay's best St. Joe's teams met one of Vic Bubas's best Duke teams in the 1966 Eastern Regionals.

Duke 76 -- St. Joseph's 74

In a close game between #2 ranked Duke and #5 ranked St. Joseph's, 22 points from Bob Verga and 15 rebounds each from Mike Lewis and Jack Marin were enough to give the Blue Devils the win. As most fans of Blue Devil history know, that Duke team lost in the Final Four to Kentucky as Verga was hampered by illness.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Yeah, one of Ramsay's best St. Joe's teams met one of Vic Bubas's best Duke teams in the 1966 Eastern Regionals.

Duke 76 -- St. Joseph's 74

In a close game between #2 ranked Duke and #5 ranked St. Joseph's, 22 points from Bob Verga and 15 rebounds each from Mike Lewis and Jack Marin were enough to give the Blue Devils the win. As most fans of Blue Devil history know, that Duke team lost in the Final Four to Kentucky as Verga was hampered by illness.
    St. Joe's led by Matt Guokas, Jr. (the former 76ers player and coach & first coach of the Orlando Magic). Matt's dad and son also played for St. Joe's.

Dr. Jack got his start at my high school, Mt. Pleasant, in Wilmington, DE. (I think I was in grade school then). Didn't know him, but thought him a class act. A gentleman when that was a compliment, and something to be admired and emulated.