Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Nolan Smith might be returning to the NBA next year...

The Chicago Bulls (per a tweet by Chicagobullsbot) have apparently extended a partially-guaranteed contract for next season. I suspect this would be insurance in case they lose Augustin to free agency. It is no secret that the Bulls like Duke players. And Smith makes sense on a team that prefers their PG to be a scorer like the Bulls do. I hope it happens.

This would be awesome - good luck Nolan!

It used to be that once a player left for Europe, his chances of making it back to the NBA would effectively be nil. Not anymore.

CDu, if the Bulls do indeed sign Mr. Smith, I may find it impossible to root against them in the East next year.

Boozer might be amnestied and it just doesn't seem right if the Bulls don't have 2 Duke players. Duhon Deng, Deng Boozer, Boozer Dunleavy seems like it's been going on forever. I hope Nolan sticks if he gets the chance, I was surprised that he was unable to latch on in Portland.
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by g-money View Post
    This would be awesome - good luck Nolan!

It used to be that once a player left for Europe, his chances of making it back to the NBA would effectively be nil. Not anymore.

CDu, if the Bulls do indeed sign Mr. Smith, I may find it impossible to root against them in the East next year.
    Yeah, I was REALLY hoping he would have gone to the Bulls in the draft. Backing up Rose in an offense designed around the PG would have been perfect for him, and I would have LOVED for my NBA team to sign one of my all-time favorite Duke players.

I really hope it happens this time around.

Oklahoma has possibly offered as well

Adam Rowe retweeted a tweet that said Oklahoma has also offered Nolan a partially-guaranteed contract for next season as well. I think that could be a good opportunity and fit for Nolan as well. I could see him backing up Westbrook and at times having Nolan, Westbrook and KD on the court together as the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Adam Rowe retweeted a tweet that said Oklahoma has also offered Nolan a partially-guaranteed contract for next season as well. I think that could be a good opportunity and fit for Nolan as well. I could see him backing up Westbrook and at times having Nolan, Westbrook and KD on the court together as the same time.
    Two teams with extra appreciation for the value of guard depth.

Great news!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    What is a partially-guaranteed contract?
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Well, a guaranteed contract means you will get paid.

That's a partial explanation.

Great news for Nolan. Would love to see him back states side.

With two years in the NBA, the minimum salary is $915 thousand. It would be great if his "partial guarantee" was enough to commit the team to keeping him. As a suspicious sort, I hope they are not just paying him to attend training camp.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Forgive my ignorance, but what has Nolan been doing since falling off the Blazers rotation? Has he been playing overseas, or in the NBDL?

Really happy for Nolan. He seems like a really good guy.

It can be tough for combo guards to make it in the NBA, but I think he can be a successful player if given the right opportunity. The Bulls and tge Thunder are excellent organizations.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Forgive my ignorance, but what has Nolan been doing since falling off the Blazers rotation? Has he been playing overseas, or in the NBDL?
    He has been doing his best Jeff Capel impersonation in the Adriatic League:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJyhxnv-m9Q
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    He's been drilling buzzer-beating running 3's to send his team to the Adriatic League finals (i.e. Eastern Europe; see this thread for more info: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...3-14-Edition):

He did play in the NBADL in early 2013 as well. I would LOVE to see Nolan on the Bulls!

It means the team is guaranteeing to pay a portion of the full-season contract, but not the whole thing. The terms vary from situation to situation. It could just be a guarantee that they will pay his full training camp salary, but I would suspect it is something a little beyond that as that. My bet would be that teams are telling Nolan that they will pay him for training camp plus the first few weeks or maybe the first month of the season. It is a statement by the team that they feel pretty good about Nolan making the roster, but not such an endorsement that they are willing to sign him to a guaranteed deal.

Nolan would almost certainly only make the NBA minimum salary. For a player like Nolan with 2 years of experience, the min salary in 2014-15 will be $915,243. Not bad work if you can get it

-Jason "Nolan had a good year with his Croatian team, that's why he is getting this interest from the NBA" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    He's been drilling buzzer-beating running 3's to send his team to the Adriatic League finals (i.e. Eastern Europe; see this thread for more info: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.c...3-14-Edition):

He did play in the NBADL in early 2013 as well. I would LOVE to see Nolan on the Bulls!
    Best part about that video is the reaction from the other team. Two of the guys just collapse to the floor. A third one picks up the ball and punts it into the stands. These guys want to win in Croatia!!!

-Jason "Nolan has averaged better than 16 ppg and 4 assists per game for Cedevita Zagreb, the team leader in both stats" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Did Nolan's team end up winning the championship? Or is it yet to be played?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It means the team is guaranteeing to pay a portion of the full-season contract, but not the whole thing. The terms vary from situation to situation. It could just be a guarantee that they will pay his full training camp salary, but I would suspect it is something a little beyond that as that. My bet would be that teams are telling Nolan that they will pay him for training camp plus the first few weeks or maybe the first month of the season. It is a statement by the team that they feel pretty good about Nolan making the roster, but not such an endorsement that they are willing to sign him to a guaranteed deal.

Nolan would almost certainly only make the NBA minimum salary. For a player like Nolan with 2 years of experience, the min salary in 2014-15 will be $915,243. Not bad work if you can get it

-Jason "Nolan had a good year with his Croatian team, that's why he is getting this interest from the NBA" Evans
    The guarantees often expire around the trade deadline, allowing another team to acquire the partially guaranteed contract to make a trade work, and then quickly cut the player without paying much salary. Late season cuts also can avoid salary cap penalties while still using the player for most of the season.

What a lovable BD! Hope to see him getting NBA pt soon.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Best part about that video is the reaction from the other team. Two of the guys just collapse to the floor. A third one picks up the ball and punts it into the stands. These guys want to win in Croatia!!!

-Jason "Nolan has averaged better than 16 ppg and 4 assists per game for Cedevita Zagreb, the team leader in both stats" Evans
    The stakes in the semifinal were possibly higher than those in the final. The two semifinal winners clinched EuroLeague berths for next season. The team that lost (from Serbia) is completely out of EuroLeague unless they get a wildcard, which is a huge deal because they are historically the best team in the region and generally considered a long-time European powerhouse. That shot alone means that one of the teams should have more money for the players next year while the other team might not be able to re-sign key players.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueSheed View Post
    Did Nolan's team end up winning the championship? Or is it yet to be played?
    They lost in the final. See the thread linked earlier for details (good thing a poster here keeps track of this sort of thing and provides regular updates).