Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ACC announces conference opponents for men's hoops.

ACC also announces UNC to be ACC regular season "champion" for 2014-2015.

Thanks Jim for the schedule. Quickly jumping out at me are Duke road schedule and the UNC schedule.
    Duke: /FSU, NCSU, VA. VT and Louisville. Unc= Miami, Clemson, Wake, Pitt and BC. Quite a difference in my thinking. Wonder if Swofford has any input into this, LOL. GoDuke!

Above road schedules are for road games only. I did not list home and away. GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 04-22-2014 at 12:00 PM.

For those who don't want to click through:

Duke Opponents:

Home
    • UNC, Wake, Syracuse, Notre Dame, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Pittsburgh, Boston College

Road
    • UNC, Wake, Syracuse, Notre Dame, FSU, NC State, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Louisville
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

May be a better place for this, but below is Maryland's new conference line-up:

Home: Michigan, Minnesota, Northwestern, Wisconsin
    Away: Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, Purdue
    Home/Away: Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Penn State, Rutgers

So, good luck with that.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I love our road schedule, we will be well prepared come tourney time. Aside from Carolina, I'm looking forward to the Louisville game the most, even though they won't have the same team they've been playing with the last two years. I don't expect anything like last year's game in the Carrier Dome, hopefully it will be a resounding blowout.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's a shame we don't get home and homes with Louisville and UVa.

Also really weird not to be playing two conference games against Clemson and State, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Thanks Jim for the schedule. Quickly jumping out at me are Duke road schedule and the UNC schedule.
    Duke: /FSU, NCSU, VA. VT and Louisville. Unc= Miami, Clemson, Wake, Pitt and BC. Quite a difference in my thinking. Wonder if Swofford has any input into this, LOL. GoDuke!

Above road schedules are for road games only. I did not list home and away. GoDuke!
    The pure road schedule looks pretty out of wack, but when you add in the home/road games it gets a bit more even...Duke does have a slighlty more difficult schedule, if using placement in the 2013-14 season as the measure. anyone know if there Is a methodology that is used every time to establish the pairings?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    anyone know if there Is a methodology that is used every time to establish the pairings?
    If there were a methodology the league wouldn't be announcing the fixtures one or two seasons at a time. They're making it up as they go along.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    The pure road schedule looks pretty out of wack, but when you add in the home/road games it gets a bit more even...Duke does have a slighlty more difficult schedule, if using placement in the 2013-14 season as the measure. anyone know if there Is a methodology that is used every time to establish the pairings?
    The home opponents seem much easier, and the away opponents seem much harder. So we'll end up with more blowout wins and more losses?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    If there were a methodology the league wouldn't be announcing the fixtures one or two seasons at a time. They're making it up as they go along.
    I bet they're also trying to see how the new teams adjust so they can easily change the rivalry system in the not so distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 schedule came with an announcement that Syracuse and Duke will be permanent partners going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I bet they're also trying to see how the new teams adjust so they can easily change the rivalry system in the not so distant future. I wouldn't be surprised if the 2017 schedule came with an announcement that Syracuse and Duke will be permanent partners going forward.
    I don't think this will happen. Going forward, each team is going to have just one permanent partner -- and that's going to be UNC for Duke.

I did predict that Duke-Syracuse would be home-and-home in 2014-15 for a second straight year. The ACC used the Louisville for Maryland switch as an excuse to start the rotation over. But going forward, Duke will only have a home-and home with Syracuse something like once every three years.

PS I also predicted that Duke will play at Louisville in Louisville's first season -- I'd give myself a spork, except that was about as hard to predict as the fact that the sun will come up tomorrow morning.

The ACC made sure that every one of the four new teams over the last two years got a home visit from Duke in its first ACC season ... so did Virginia Tech and Miami in 2005 and Boston College in 2006 (their first years)

Before that, the ACC still had a balanced home and home schedule, so no big deal that FSU got a visit in 1992 and Georgia Tech in 1980. But the seven teams that have joined the league with an unbalanced schedule all got (or in Louisville's case will get) a visit from Duke.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS And when the ACC announces the matchups for the ACC-A10 doubleheaders in Barclays Center -- the price for getting Barclays for the ACC Tournament -- I'll bet anything anybody wants to wager that Duke will be one of the ACC teams included. And, yes, the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I don't think this will happen. Going forward, each team is going to have just one permanent partner -- and that's going to be UNC for Duke.

I did predict that Duke-Syracuse would be home-and-home in 2014-15 for a second straight year. The ACC used the Louisville for Maryland switch as an excuse to start the rotation over. But going forward, Duke will only have a home-and home with Syracuse something like once every three years.

PS I also predicted that Duke will play at Louisville in Louisville's first season -- I'd give myself a spork, except that was about as hard to predict as the fact that the sun will come up tomorrow morning.

The ACC made sure that every one of the four new teams over the last two years got a home visit from Duke in its first ACC season ... so did Virginia Tech and Miami in 2005 and Boston College in 2006 (their first years)

Before that, the ACC still had a balanced home and home schedule, so no big deal that FSU got a visit in 1992 and Georgia Tech in 1980. But the seven teams that have joined the league with an unbalanced schedule all got (or in Louisville's case will get) a visit from Duke.

Coincidence? I think not.

PS And when the ACC announces the matchups for the ACC-A10 doubleheaders in Barclays Center -- the price for getting Barclays for the ACC Tournament -- I'll bet anything anybody wants to wager that Duke will be one of the ACC teams included. And, yes, the sun will rise in the East tomorrow.

Sucker bet on the Barclays. Syracuse will be the other team in the doubleheader. That should maximize metro NY and TV appeal (for some reason Clemson and VT might not have the same appeal)

I think the ACC will find a way to keep the Duke Syracuse head to head in the rotation until Coach Boeheim or K retire (and I predict K does not retire until Boeheim does)

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post
    Sucker bet on the Barclays. Syracuse will be the other team in the doubleheader. That should maximize metro NY and TV appeal (for some reason Clemson and VT might not have the same appeal)

I think the ACC will find a way to keep the Duke Syracuse head to head in the rotation until Coach Boeheim or K retire (and I predict K does not retire until Boeheim does)
    Well, Duke-Syracuse head-to-head is never going to leave the rotation (unless the conference does something stupid like expand to 20 teams). Every team will play every team at least once each year. But Duke-Syracuse home-and-home already has an expiration date - the conference rotation for 2015-2016 that was also announced today has Duke-Syracuse playing just once (in Cameron).
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by Lar77 View Post

I think the only question will be which two A-10 teams will Duke and Cuse draw in Barclays?
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Well, Duke-Syracuse head-to-head is never going to leave the rotation (unless the conference does something stupid like expand to 20 teams). Every team will play every team at least once each year. But Duke-Syracuse home-and-home already has an expiration date - the conference rotation for 2015-2016 that was also announced today has Duke-Syracuse playing just once (in Cameron).
    Yep, didn't read through the article. Thanks for pointing out my error.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    I think the only question will be which two A-10 teams will Duke and Cuse draw in Barclays?
    There will be more than one doubleheader ... not sure, but my guess is that there will be two doubleheaders (obviously on separate dates) for each of the two years that the A10 is letting the ACC use Barclays for its tournament.

That means eight ACC spots in all -- but I wouldn't rule out that Duke and 'Cuse get one spot each year.

UNC, Louisville are the other two sure participants.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    It's a shame we don't get home and homes with Louisville and UVa.

Also really weird not to be playing two conference games against Clemson and State, of course.
    I hate the "principal partners" thing with all my heart. My Wahoos miss out on home-and-homes with teams we actually care about (i.e. you guys and Chapel Hill) to double up on VT and Louisville. At least the latter should help our SOS for the foreseeable future, but otherwise, YAWN. I get the reasoning - Louisville slots into the Maryland slot and makes it easy to do the schedule, and we get VT because they beat us that one time back when Ace Custis was there - but it sucks.

They need to get rid of all principal partnerships, or at least just be honest, make nice for the TV partners and make sure they get Duke-UNC twice. None of the other "rivalries" move the needle one bit.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkstarWahoo View Post
    I hate the "principal partners" thing with all my heart. My Wahoos miss out on home-and-homes with teams we actually care about (i.e. you guys and Chapel Hill) to double up on VT and Louisville. At least the latter should help our SOS for the foreseeable future, but otherwise, YAWN. I get the reasoning - Louisville slots into the Maryland slot and makes it easy to do the schedule, and we get VT because they beat us that one time back when Ace Custis was there - but it sucks.

They need to get rid of all principal partnerships, or at least just be honest, make nice for the TV partners and make sure they get Duke-UNC twice. None of the other "rivalries" move the needle one bit.
    I think you might be stuck with VT if I correctly recall how VT got into the conference.

It may eventually turn out that TV/alumni pressure will dictate future scheduling. Or the ACC could add some more teams, split into divisions, and go back to more home and home. I have a feeling that football will continue to dictate how conferences will rearrange in the future and that will in turn determine who plays whom in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    VCU will definitely be one of the A10 teams. I wouldn't bet any $$ on the other. GW, Dayton, St Louis, UMass, St Joe's seem likely possibilities. None of those seem to have much of a Q rating, though.
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook