WNBA Draft: Chelsea and Tricia Go in the First Round

Chelsea to Connecticut at number 11, Tricia to Minnesota at number 12.

Shocked that Thomas fell all the way to number four, behind Ogwumike, Sims, and McBride.

Seven (!) ACC players go in the first round: McBride at 3, Thomas at 4, Natasha Howard of FSU at 5, Achonwa at 9, Markeisha Gatling of NC State at 10, Chelsea at 11, and Tricia at 12.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Chelsea to Connecticut at number 11, Tricia to Minnesota at number 12.

Shocked that Thomas fell all the way to number four, behind Ogwumike, Sims, and McBride.

Seven (!) ACC players go in the first round: McBride at 3, Thomas at 4, Natasha Howard of FSU at 5, Achonwa at 9, Markeisha Gatling of NC State at 10, Chelsea at 11, and Tricia at 12.
    Awesome, congrats to all. I'm not surprised a bit at the high ACC numbers. Even with Maryland's leaving next year, I could see it being more next year. UNC will have ladies in the mix, and Louisville too. ND and Duke will obviously be contributing as well. (Stay healthy, Elizabeth!)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm shocked that Thomas went 4, but looking at the moves that Connecticut made is pretty interesting. They get Ogwumike, Thomas, and Gray all in the first round. Good future core even if they made the questionable decision of giving up Tina Charles.

Congrats to Chelsea & Tricia!! Best wishes always... and STAY HEALTHY!

ACC produces 7 of 12 First-Rounders!?! The level of competition in the ACC is insane. That won't change next year when we exchange Maryland out for Louisville. Look at the power teams of late and going forward in the major conferences... the PAC12 has Stanford, the Big12 has Baylor, the SEC has Tennessee, the AAC has Connecticut, the Big10 will have Maryland... and the ACC will have our beloved DUKE, as well as ND, Louisville, and unc. That's crazy!
    -Son of Jarhead

The Duke fan formerly known as BuschDevil

Quote Originally Posted by BuschDevil View Post
    Congrats to Chelsea & Tricia!! Best wishes always... and STAY HEALTHY!

ACC produces 7 of 12 First-Rounders!?! The level of competition in the ACC is insane. That won't change next year when we exchange Maryland out for Louisville. Look at the power teams of late and going forward in the major conferences... the PAC12 has Stanford, the Big12 has Baylor, the SEC has Tennessee, the AAC has Connecticut, the Big10 will have Maryland... and the ACC will have our beloved DUKE, as well as ND, Louisville, and unc. That's crazy!
    either Geno is that good or UCONN should have the other 5.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    Only two teams had two players drafted in either round. UCONN and Duke both had two, and both were taken in the first. To top it off, Tyaunna Marshall from GT just missed out, going at 14. (Second in the second round.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

It's worth noting that Haley wasn't drafted. I'm sure she'll be invited to a training camp, but - oh my! - her stock dropped through the bottom this year. Last summer, she was the last cut from the World University Games. I think it was her turnovers and relative lack of athleticism that turned off the GM's. As we know, Haley has true grit on the floor and I'm shocked she wasn't picked in the second round, let alone not picked at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AIM4excellence View Post
    It's worth noting that Haley wasn't drafted. I'm sure she'll be invited to a training camp, but - oh my! - her stock dropped through the bottom this year. Last summer, she was the last cut from the World University Games. I think it was her turnovers and relative lack of athleticism that turned off the GM's. As we know, Haley has true grit on the floor and I'm shocked she wasn't picked in the second round, let alone not picked at all.
    Is it possible Haley was not interested in being drafted? She is an excellent student who, according to her goduke.com bio, has aspirations to go to medical school. Maybe she wants to get started on that path and trying to play in the WNBA would be an unnecessary distraction. Unlike the NBA, it doesn't pay well enough to be a slam-dunk choice over a lot of professional careers.

Quote Originally Posted by MCFinARL View Post
    Is it possible Haley was not interested in being drafted? She is an excellent student who, according to her goduke.com bio, has aspirations to go to medical school. Maybe she wants to get started on that path and trying to play in the WNBA would be an unnecessary distraction. Unlike the NBA, it doesn't pay well enough to be a slam-dunk choice over a lot of professional careers.
    That is a good point and a possibility, although most of the women also play overseas too. I think they actually make more money overseas than they do in their WNBA contracts; I know they used to. Alison Bales retired to focus on her medical school and career, but she also played a few years. The thing about the draft is that there are so few spots in women, unlike the men. When only 12 players are guaranteed contracts, you can see how selective the process is.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I guess if you only have two seniors and they are both drafted in the first round, that's a pretty good sign. Unsurprisingly, the number of women who play college basketball who leave school before four years to play professionally is pretty small (helped by the WNBA's four and done rule of course).

Interest in being drafted never seems to be factor in actually being drafted. It's not like any special paperwork needs to be filled out and there is no time or place for a combine or other workouts. Heck, I think all the teams avoided accidentally drafting ineligible foreign players this year, which must be a record for the league. I assume MLB/NHL teams must occasionally mess up and pick a player who is not actually available to select. I wonder what would be worse for an NFL/NBA GM, drafting an ineligible player or running out of time and having other teams jump your pick?

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    That is a good point and a possibility, although most of the women also play overseas too. I think they actually make more money overseas than they do in their WNBA contracts; I know they used to. Alison Bales retired to focus on her medical school and career, but she also played a few years. The thing about the draft is that there are so few spots in women, unlike the men. When only 12 players are guaranteed contracts, you can see how selective the process is.
    The WNBA rookie contract does not work exactly like the NBA one, but even with expanded rosters this season, the fight to fill one of those slots for the entire season is quite fierce. It is not much of a shock if players drafted in the second and third rounds do not make the cut and first rounders can certainly find their way out of the league pretty quickly too. Fortunately, there is the still the "main" season, the one overseas, where players can still go.

We've had a bunch of players play in the WNBA and/or overseas before going to a professional school (Georgia Schweizer, Ali Bales, Iciss Tillis). Some save up some of their earnings to offset the cost of professional school and decrease the debt load. Others want a break from school. Still others like the experience of living in another country. While it's "possible" Haley does not want to continue playing, I doubt that is the reason she wasn't drafted. I've seen drafted players not even showing up for camp since they'd already booked travel plans, so it does not seem that being interested is a prerequisite to being drafted. I hope we'll hear more soon.

Quote Originally Posted by AIM4excellence View Post
    We've had a bunch of players play in the WNBA and/or overseas before going to a professional school (Georgia Schweizer, Ali Bales, Iciss Tillis). Some save up some of their earnings to offset the cost of professional school and decrease the debt load. Others want a break from school. Still others like the experience of living in another country. While it's "possible" Haley does not want to continue playing, I doubt that is the reason she wasn't drafted. I've seen drafted players not even showing up for camp since they'd already booked travel plans, so it does not seem that being interested is a prerequisite to being drafted. I hope we'll hear more soon.
    Looks like you were right. Haley Peters has signed a training camp contract with the Washington Mystics. A lot of former Duke players have been with the Mystics at one time or another; Monique Currie is still on the roster now.

Haley was waived during the first round of cuts in training camp:
    http://www.wnba.com/mystics/news/mys...014_05_02.html