New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Pop up ads on DBR

Twice now I've had an ad slide across my screen while in the forums in the last two weeks. It is one of those that scrolls with you, thus staying in the middle of what you are trying to read. You can x out of it, but it is still annoying as hell. It is something the mods may want to check out. The ads themselves say "Powered by Vizu" on the bottom. I am using Chrome as my browser.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

CBB, I use Chrome, too, but I'm not getting the popups.

But since I post from an underground bunker and have no 'internetsweb' profile nor savoir faire, that might be the difference.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    CBB, I use Chrome, too, but I'm not getting the popups.

But since I post from an underground bunker and have no 'internetsweb' profile nor savoir faire, that might be the difference.
    Very intermittent; as I said, I've only seen them twice in a couple weeks. The first time I figured it was an anomaly, but after seeing it again today on DBR it is obvious that one of the advertisers is using them, or there is a script executing. A google search on "Powered by Vizu" reveals some insights and similar scenarios, but not much on removing it. Since it is embedded in the DBR site, there is nothing really an end user could do, other than specifically target that specific ad, which is a hassle that I'm not up for engaging in.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I hadn't seen one at all until I opened this thread to find out about it. An ad for a prominent car company starting with "F" (not wanting to trigger the advertisement), IIRC.

Looking into it...

Just got another, this time I took a screenshot.

DBRpopup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

DBRpopup.jpg
    I had the same problem. Looked that one up...seems to be a piece of malware...(so says my Googling thereof)...so I ran
    Malbytes and also AVG, and while neither detected a virus or "threat" the annoying ad went away...most annoying, stays right in
    the middle of the page...evidently it lives for clicks which I refused to provide.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I had the same problem. Looked that one up...seems to be a piece of malware...(so says my Googling thereof)...so I ran
    Malbytes and also AVG, and while neither detected a virus or "threat" the annoying ad went away...most annoying, stays right in
    the middle of the page...evidently it lives for clicks which I refused to provide.
    That was my first thought, but I'm a computer tech that makes my living removing that crap from clients' computers. Does that make me invulnerable? No, but I do keep my system clean. The thing about the pop-ups, is that they are incredibly intermittent. I've seen only two this week, and prior to that it was two weeks before. And I've only seen them on DBR. (I'm boring, I only frequent a handful of websites.)

Another one, on a different computer (my work pc), and also using chrome, with no other sites open.

popup.JPG

Another one, on a different computer (my work pc), and also using chrome, with no other sites open.

popup.JPG
    Wait, you look at DBR while you're at work.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, you look at DBR while you're at work.
    Just doing my part to make sure the internet still works!

Just doing my part to make sure the internet still works!
    You techie types are always willing to sacrifice for the cause.

DBRpopup.jpg
    I got this one yesterday, too. On my iPad.

I've gotten the same thing on my laptop (running Firefox)... once in Spanish and later in English.

Just got one, but it was a video. Said it was sponsored by vdopia

A new one, equally as annoying, but more common, since it happened on back to back screens, different ad. Grrrrr. Sits at the bottom of your screen and won't go away until you close it. (And of course if you miss the "x", you go flying off to lord knows where.)

DBRpopup.jpg

After a bit of research (-jk deserves the hat tip here), SBNation has a way to report misbehaving ads: badads@sbnation.com

That email might be the most direct route to effect change.

Unfortunately, other than the one I mentioned above, I've been completely unable to duplicate it.

I didn't have any issues with pop up ads on DBR until I read this thread. Now I have ads on the bottom of my screen constantly and it is ya'll's fault!
    Bob Green