Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Potato Head View Post
    Nope, it's a delusion. Sure there are and have been numerous reports out there since he came to Duke saying that he was seriously considering staying, but he's definitely going pro. There are no examples of a projected sure-fire lottery pick staying in college, and definitely no examples within the last 12 months.
    Agree, agree, agree!
    I have watched the JP threads the last few weeks and haven't commented. I can't take it anymore.
    I didn't go to Duke and therefore am not as smart as many on this forum but my average intelligence mind tells me that there is no way that JP cannot go to the NBA. I love Duke and value education but it really would be a deluded decision for him to stay...

Well, if he stays, he will be a relatively care free kid for one whole year. If he leaves, he will enter the adult world and be treated as such the rest of his life.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    Well, if he stays, he will be a relatively care free kid for one whole year. If he leaves, he will enter the adult world and be treated as such the rest of his life.
    You could be wrong. I think these kids take winning at Duke very seriously and there is a lot of pressure on them when they lose. They were really upset after the Mercer loss and they are probably still hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
    And he'll be paid accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    You could be wrong. I think these kids take winning at Duke very seriously and there is a lot of pressure on them when they lose. They were really upset after the Mercer loss and they are probably still hurting.
    That's true - much like high school, college basketball is about passion and heart (especially the tourney). I would still maintain that it's a relatively care free lifestyle compared to the pros. After games (only 35 or so) that come around on average every 4 days, a kid can seclude themselves from the outside world and live like a college kid.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke95 View Post
    And he'll be paid accordingly.
    Can't deny that, but once the adult world starts, there's no going back to being 19 and the big man on campus. Obviously, some players have decided college was fun enough to stay despite being certain 1st rounders.

Agree, agree, agree!
    I have watched the JP threads the last few weeks and haven't commented. I can't take it anymore.
    I didn't go to Duke and therefore am not as smart as many on this forum but my average intelligence mind tells me that there is no way that JP cannot go to the NBA. I love Duke and value education but it really would be a deluded decision for him to stay...
    To paraphrase Princess Bride I do not think deluded means what you think it means.

He's staying. If people hadn't already decided that he was a one and done before the season started they wouldn't fall victim to confirmation bias now. He's not a kentucky kid, he's not austin rivers. He speaks of leaving a legacy. He went to the school where he had the worst campus visit. Think of this, in the SI article, it talks about K telling jabari not to sabotage his progress so that the draft talk would slow down. I believe the comment was something like "you can stay if you want, now there's no excuse to keep you from playing your best." If he's so obviously going to go, why would K feel compelled to have that talk with him? He's staying and Duke will win it all next year and then Oak and Jabari will go 1-2 in next years draft. Stop fighting it and stop hedging your bets. Accept that everything is going to be awesome and get ready for an amazing year.

Disagree completely

Agree, agree, agree!
    It just seems to me that if you like school, are improving in basketball, you family is not in great need of money then why go pro. Maybe if its all you can think about, bu the NBA is not going to go away. Some risk of injury and you get insurance. How much do you think Shabazz Muhammed enjoyed this year, 7 or 8 minutes per game.?

I am not looking at this with Duke colored glasses. Evidently Austin Rivers dreamed of playing in the NBA, so fine. William Avery did not like school, bye bye.

I think, no way of knowing, that Mason Plumlee is having a better year than if he left a few years ago and I predict his life will turn out just fine.

Parker is doing fine academically. He can certainly improve in basketball. His buddy is coming next year to play the middle. Evidently his family's finances are fine, his Dad has a foundation or something. Why leave?

SoCal

lives near a number of big white buildings

Dual roles merged or simply complimentary ??

I'm not very familiar with the Mormon faith. Under what circumstances is a year-long mission undertaken or not? And what constitutes a mission? Can other projects be carried out during that mission year?

(Point of my question is...Jabari and his family seem to be people of high character and faith....could his mission year be carried out in Durham while also playing basketball ? Serving his faith--and playing college basketball in what looks like could be a uniquely exciting year--might outweigh hauling in the big bucks for a year for a person such as Jabari.)

Quote Originally Posted by SmartDevil View Post
    I'm not very familiar with the Mormon faith. Under what circumstances is a year-long mission undertaken or not? And what constitutes a mission? Can other projects be carried out during that mission year?

(Point of my question is...Jabari and his family seem to be people of high character and faith....could his mission year be carried out in Durham while also playing basketball ? Serving his faith--and playing college basketball in what looks like could be a uniquely exciting year--might outweigh hauling in the big bucks for a year for a person such as Jabari.)
    Missions are for two years, not one. And while they are encouraged, they are not required. Parker is almost certainly not going to be doing one. One might argue that he will do more good for the church by playing basketball than by going on a mission.

And if he did do a mission, basketball would be out of the question. Missions put the kids in a very Spartan lifestyle and require a TON of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    I think my Jabari delusion is at 40% now.
    Deluded. You need help.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheGame View Post
    He's staying.
    Delusionally deluded. You are beyond help.

If Jabari's family was in poverty going back multiple generations, it would almost be his duty to go pro regardless of how much he loves college. With an insurance policy, what's the worst case scenario - he gets millions, peace in his faith, a degree from Duke and probably a guaranteed job on the bench one day? Greg Oden suffered a major injury and still made tons of money.

Accept that everything is going to be awesome and get ready for an amazing year.
    Did someone just watch the Lego movie?

http://youtu.be/StTqXEQ2l-Y

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dukie View Post
    Did someone just watch the Lego movie?

http://youtu.be/StTqXEQ2l-Y
    Nope but I will be playing that song on a loop the day Jabari confirms what I already know!

I think my Jabari delusion is at 40% now, gumbo. I think that's high enough for me to play in this sandbox you've created for us delusionists.

30 Fr Tyus 20 Sr Quinn
    30 Jr Sheed ...Fr Grayson RS Matt
    35 So Jabari 10 Fr Justise RS Semi
    35 Jr Amile ...FifthYrGrad
    30 Fr Jahlil 10 Jr MP3
    Modified Jabari Delusion Rotation, in light of all three freshmen playing spectacularly at the Hoop Summit. I'm down with Justise at the 3 now, if Jabari returns:

30 Fr Tyus 15 Sr Quinn
    30 Jr Sheed 8 So Matt RS Grays.
    30 Fr Justise 7 So Semi
    30 So Jabari 12 Jr Amile
    30 Fr Jahlil 8 Jr MP3 [RS Obi]

10-man rotation? Nah. Just lots of blowouts leading to lots of guys getting more minutes than they otherwise would. In this example, I'm redshirting Grayson instead of Matt. I figure someone is getting redshirted if Jabari comes back; just not sure which player.

Modified Jabari Delusion Rotation, in light of all three freshmen playing spectacularly at the Hoop Summit. I'm down with Justise at the 3 now, if Jabari returns:

30 Fr Tyus 15 Sr Quinn
    30 Jr Sheed 8 So Matt RS Grays.
    30 Fr Justise 7 So Semi
    30 So Jabari 12 Jr Amile
    30 Fr Jahlil 8 Jr MP3 [RS Obi]

10-man rotation? Nah. Just lots of blowouts leading to lots of guys getting more minutes than they otherwise would. In this example, I'm redshirting Grayson instead of Matt. I figure someone is getting redshirted if Jabari comes back; just not sure which player.
    i would be very shocked (and disappointed) if senior cook and junior jefferson combined for only 27 minutes

As would I. If Jabari returns, I'm hoping he would play both SF and PF, which would allow Amile to play more minutes.

As would I. If Jabari returns, I'm hoping he would play both SF and PF, which would allow Amile to play more minutes.
    Yeah, taking blowouts out of the equation, it's hard to see Semi and Matt combining for 15 mpg while Quinn and Amile get just 27.

Nope but I will be playing that song on a loop the day Jabari confirms what I already know!
    What is he having for breakfast tomorrow?