Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Amazing. Avilan gives up 5 runs on 4 hits and a walk, blows the "hold" and Uggla bails him out with a slam in the top of the 9th. Right place, wrong time? Wrong place, right time?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    That's called outrunning the game, fast. You're not supposed to be able to score on a pop up 30 feet beyond the infield, especially when the outfielder makes a perfect throw. And no, Rickey Henderson was not that fast. I thought Brett Gardner was the fastest major leaguer I had ever seen, but Hamilton is at a different level.
    Hamilton's speed is impressive ... but if speed was everything, Herb Washington would have been a star.

So far, for all his speed, Hamilton is godawful -- a .143 BA, a .183 OBP, a .396 OPS and a 6 -- 6! -- IPS plus. That means his offensive production is six percent of an average ML baseball player. Even in the speed categories, he's not very good -- in 12 games, he's scored three runs and while he's stolen 2 bases, he's also been caught once -- and a 2-of-3 average is pretty average.

I know it's just 12 games, but he was pretty lousy at the plate last year in Triple A (.651 OPS).

PS As for Kimbrell's absence Monday night, it was for the same reason that the Phillies didn't use Papelbon -- both guys had pitched three straight games over the weekend and needed a rest. Frankly, I'm glad Freddie has that discipline -- he overused Kimbrell as a rookie and the kid had nothing left at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by kmspeaks View Post
    Dude we get it, you don't like the Braves. It would be nice if you would actually discuss the season instead of the endless "Braves suck" posts, or at least stop with the IC like spelling of the team name.
    I am an Atlanta fan. I've just decided to embrace pessimism as a defense mechanism.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Hamilton's speed is impressive ... but if speed was everything, Herb Washington would have been a star.

So far, for all his speed, Hamilton is godawful -- a .143 BA, a .183 OBP, a .396 OPS and a 6 -- 6! -- IPS plus. That means his offensive production is six percent of an average ML baseball player. Even in the speed categories, he's not very good -- in 12 games, he's scored three runs and while he's stolen 2 bases, he's also been caught once -- and a 2-of-3 average is pretty average.

I know it's just 12 games, but he was pretty lousy at the plate last year in Triple A (.651 OPS).

PS As for Kimbrell's absence Monday night, it was for the same reason that the Phillies didn't use Papelbon -- both guys had pitched three straight games over the weekend and needed a rest. Frankly, I'm glad Freddie has that discipline -- he overused Kimbrell as a rookie and the kid had nothing left at the end of the season.
    Of my dad's many little sayings about baseball one of my favorites applies here, "I don't care how fast you are...you can't steal 1st base." If Hamilton were a softball player he could be a ridiculously productive left-handed slapper.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Amazing. Avilan gives up 5 runs on 4 hits and a walk, blows the "hold" and Uggla bails him out with a slam in the top of the 9th. Right place, wrong time? Wrong place, right time?
    Phils bullpen was even worse. Rosenburg gave up HR to 3 consecutive hitters, first time a reliever has done that since 1914 according the game story in the Raleigh N&O this AM. Then, in the top of the ninth, Diekman issued 2 walks and gave up two hits after that, an infield single to Gattis and then Uggla's slam. Oh, but then he proceeded to strike out the side.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Kimbrel didn't pitch in Sunday's 10-2 blowout. He was held out last night because of a sore shoulder, and is day-to-day.

Braves Phils

Another nice win for the Bravos tonight as Julio Teheran out duels Cliff Lee to pitch his first professional complete game shutout, 1-0, giving up 3 hits and no walks. In his last two starts against the Bravos Lee has pitched complete games losing both 1-0. Evan Gattis with a homer in the 4th which barely cleared the fence went 4-4 with 3 singles and provided fans in the metro Atlanta area with a $144 discount for a new set of tires at Kauffman Tire retailer tomorrow only.

Nats score late to beat the Marlins and are now 8-1 against the league and 1-5 against the Braves. Rumor has it that the Nats will wear Mets unis in the next Atlanta series to hopefully level the playing field.

yankees sweep cubbies

Great day/night for the Yankees ... a 3-0 win over the Cubs in the day game and a 2-0 win in the nightcap.

Great pitching performances by the new newcomers to the staff -- Tanaka and Pineda. Both are looking good ... now, if CC could just find himself ...

First time anybody in baseball has thrown two shutouts in a doubleheader since 1988.

I'd be a lot more excited, except it was against the Cubs.

Right now, I'd say that the Tigs look like a doughy bunch of lazybones who have no plan other than to swing for the fences every time at the plate.
    That about sums it up.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Right now, I'd say that the Tigs look like a doughy bunch of lazybones who have no plan other than to swing for the fences every time at the plate.
    That about sums it up.
    Well the Red Sox can't score any runs. Took 14 innings yesterday to finally get a win. Hopefully these already nagging injuries will clear up so that we field a completely healthy team (middlebrooks, pedroia, victorino, napoli).
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Terrifying stat of the day...

With their top 3 starters all out with injuries, the Atlanta Braves stopgap/fill-in pitching staff has done OK. What do I mean by OK? Well, the number of starters who have given up more than 3 runs is zero... nil... nada. In all 14 games this season, the Braves starter has held the opposition to 3 runs or less.

That... my friends... is sick!

-Jason "oh, and my comments a few weeks ago about wanting to be rid of JUpton's contract... yeah... ummm... nevermind " Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    With their top 3 starters all out with injuries, the Atlanta Braves stopgap/fill-in pitching staff has done OK. What do I mean by OK? Well, the number of starters who have given up more than 3 runs is zero... nil... nada. In all 14 games this season, the Braves starter has held the opposition to 3 runs or less.

That... my friends... is sick!
    I spoke too soon... Alex Wood went 8 innings today, giving up only 1 run. Making it now 15 straight starts in which the Braves starter has given up 3 runs or less. Sadly, the offense went into hibernation so the Bravos lost 1-0 to the Phils. That's back-to-back 1-0 games for the Braves and Phils. Not exactly a lot of offense happening here.

-Jason "Wood is now 2-2 on the season with a 1.33 ERA" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

These stories about Yasiel Puig escaping to America are certainly something.

From the start, the journey had seemed both hexed and charmed...
    Last edited by JBDuke; 04-18-2014 at 09:54 PM. Reason: removed copyrighted material

Not necessarily relevant to this year's MLB season (since Chris Resop is currently in AAA), but this man has an uncannily consistent reaction to his pitches being hit.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Not necessarily relevant to this year's MLB season (since Chris Resop is currently in AAA), but this man has an uncannily consistent reaction to his pitches being hit.
    That's pretty funny.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Bwaaahahaha, I sent this around the weezie family barbecue trail.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

A cliche comes to life

You know the old phase "he knocked the cover off the ball"?

Milwaukee catcher Martin Maldonado LITERALLY knocked the cover off the ball Friday night in Pittsburgh:

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...020456249.html

It looks fairly normal when fielded by the Pirate third baseman. He hesitates a moment as he realizes something is wrong, then throws it ... and between third and first, the ball comes apart, dying just short of the first baseman.

Freddie Freeman does not like the Mets. But then again, who does?

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Freddie Freeman does not like the Mets. But then again, who does?
    I do. You have an issue with that, Mr. Sunshine?

Atlanta survives a shockingly ineffective outing from Kimbrel, after a week off due to shoulder soreness. The Bravo bullpen is trending sharply towards dumpster fire status.