Page 2 of 33 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 657
  1. #21

    Tanaka

    Tanaka, the Yankees' multimillion dollar Japanese import, got his first start Friday night in Toronto.

    The first guy he faces -- ex-Yankee, ex-doper Melky Cabrera -- homers to right-center. Some shaky defense by gold glover Mark Texieria puts him in a 3-2 hole. But Tanaka finished strong (I think he retired the last 11 men he faced), getting the win with seven strong innings of work (just two earned runs).

    Not raising any pennants, but it's good to get back to .500 after an 0-2 start. And Ellsbury, after going hitless through the first three games (he actually sat out Game 3), exploded for three hits and three runs tonight.

    Only bad news -- the first (of many?) injury ... Tex has to leave the game with what was described as a "mild" pulled muscle.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Hot'Lanta... home of the Falcons!
    If you are not excited to watch Julio Teheran versus Stephen Strasburg today then you are not a baseball fan. Braves and Nats are rapidly becoming the best rivalry in the NL.

    -Jason "Upton bros are a combined 2-31 thus far (.064) while Uggla is a stratospheric 3-for-15 (.200). When are we free of these three awful contracts?!?!" Evans
    I don't know what you are doing right now, but if you aren't listening to the DBR Podcast, you're doing it wrong.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
    OF, what's your take on Teixeira? Is he ever gonna be right?
    Well he's already back on the DL, so not a good start (to be fair, it's unrelated to the wrist, so while's it's not good, it's not nearly as bad as if his problems from last season had already recurred). Beyond that, what do you consider "right"? Even assuming the hamstring responds to rest and he's back and healthy before too long, it's hard to imagine him reversing the decline that's been going on pretty steadily since he was 30. I'm skeptical that even his 2010/2011 level of production is realistic, but even if it is, that's certainly respectable as mlb players go, but it's a far cry from what the team is paying for. I don't think there's any chance he's ever going to be the top caliber player they thought they were signing.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  4. #24

    bad contracts

    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    If you are not excited to watch Julio Teheran versus Stephen Strasburg today then you are not a baseball fan. Braves and Nats are rapidly becoming the best rivalry in the NL.

    -Jason "Upton bros are a combined 2-31 thus far (.064) while Uggla is a stratospheric 3-for-15 (.200). When are we free of these three awful contracts?!?!" Evans
    (1) I am excited to watch tonight at 7:05 p.m. But with the Time-Warner-MASN conflict, it will not be available on my TV. I do my best to follow on-line. It's interesting that in their first starts this season, Teheran pitched much better than Strasberg -- but the Braves lost his opener and the Nats ended up winning Strasberg's first game.

    (2) Don't know if you sig line about the bad contracts is rhetorical or not. But I would exclude Justin Upton from that list. I know he's off to a bad start. but he was fairly decent last season (.818 OPS). As for the other two deals, I have good news and bad news -- the Braves are on the hook to Uggla just through next season ($13 million this year and in 2015), but unfortunately are committed to BJ Upton though 2017 with his contract escalating from $14.45 million in 2015 to $16.45 in 2017. If you really do want to dump Justin, his deal runs out after next season ($14.5 million in 2015).

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Yet another weird start for Stephen Strasburg against Atlanta, and B.J. Upton has a message for Jason Evans.

  6. #26

    Texiera

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    Well he's already back on the DL, so not a good start (to be fair, it's unrelated to the wrist, so while's it's not good, it's not nearly as bad as if his problems from last season had already recurred). Beyond that, what do you consider "right"? Even assuming the hamstring responds to rest and he's back and healthy before too long, it's hard to imagine him reversing the decline that's been going on pretty steadily since he was 30. I'm skeptical that even his 2010/2011 level of production is realistic, but even if it is, that's certainly respectable as mlb players go, but it's a far cry from what the team is paying for. I don't think there's any chance he's ever going to be the top caliber player they thought they were signing.
    I think this is the first crack in the Yankees' bright hopes ... maybe the second, depending upon how you view Sabathia's lack of effectiveness in his first start.

    I don't mind that Tex -- and Jeter -- have started slow at the plate. I expected that after both missed most of last year. It doesn't bother me that high-priced talent such as McCann and Beltran have been feeble at the plate ... it's early and can change quickly. Look at Ellsbury -- he was hitless in his first three games, now he's up to .375. Those are all things that you can't panic about for the first week/month of the season.

    But for the Yankees to contend, the team's fragile older players had to stay on the field. Sabathia and Kuroda had bounce back from late-season slumps in 2013. Kuroda had a good first start and Pineda, pitching for the first time in two years, was excellent (even though he lost). Sabathia hasn't been the same all spring.

    If Tex's injury is a short-term thing, okay. It is encouraging that it's not the wrist. But it's a sign of how fragile he's become. I'm afraid the same applies to Jeter, Roberts and Ellsbury -- who have all had major injury problems in recent years (Suzuki is that old, but appears to be indestructible).

    Anyway, I'm not panicking yet, but I am holding me breath.

    PS What happened to our power? Though five games this season -- zero home runs. That's why we are currently 15th out of 15 in the AL in OPS.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Forest Hills, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    I think this is the first crack in the Yankees' bright hopes ... maybe the second, depending upon how you view Sabathia's lack of effectiveness in his first start.

    I don't mind that Tex -- and Jeter -- have started slow at the plate. I expected that after both missed most of last year. It doesn't bother me that high-priced talent such as McCann and Beltran have been feeble at the plate ... it's early and can change quickly. Look at Ellsbury -- he was hitless in his first three games, now he's up to .375. Those are all things that you can't panic about for the first week/month of the season.

    But for the Yankees to contend, the team's fragile older players had to stay on the field. Sabathia and Kuroda had bounce back from late-season slumps in 2013. Kuroda had a good first start and Pineda, pitching for the first time in two years, was excellent (even though he lost). Sabathia hasn't been the same all spring.

    If Tex's injury is a short-term thing, okay. It is encouraging that it's not the wrist. But it's a sign of how fragile he's become. I'm afraid the same applies to Jeter, Roberts and Ellsbury -- who have all had major injury problems in recent years (Suzuki is that old, but appears to be indestructible).

    Anyway, I'm not panicking yet, but I am holding me breath.

    PS What happened to our power? Though five games this season -- zero home runs. That's why we are currently 15th out of 15 in the AL in OPS.
    Interesting developments with Tex, as we (my Mets) seem to have a traffic jam at first. Sandy clearly wants Duda there, but Ike's GW walkoff GS has made the discussion interesting. Subway deal? We do need bullpen help...and Ike would love the Stadium...(and his dad was a Yank)

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Barves showing off the solid pitching and risible hitting that should secure them a third-place finish in the division.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Barves showing off the solid pitching and risible hitting that should secure them a third-place finish in the division.
    Reverse weaufxing doesn't work in baseball, either. The Braves have opened with two road series and won both, mostly behind stellar pitching from a staff that took major injury hits before the season started. This includes a 2-1 series win in Washington, supposedly their principle rival for the division title. If their staff can continue pitching like this until they get some help in a few weeks, they're easily the division favorites, especially since they are winning 4 out of 5 from the Nats over the past 20 months or so.
    JBDuke

    Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

  10. #30

    Seven innings

    It's behind a pay wall, so I can't link it, but on ESPN, Buster Olney has an interview up with a unnamed baseball executive, arguing that baseball should reduce games from nine to seven innings.

    Whole bunch of arguments -- mostly to protect pitchers from injuries, but also to attract younger fans with a shorter, "more intense" game.

    I can't begin to express my outrage over this suggestion ... I have to believe it will go no where,

    But if it gets traction ... I'm outta here!

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cary, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    It's behind a pay wall, so I can't link it, but on ESPN, Buster Olney has an interview up with a unnamed baseball executive, arguing that baseball should reduce games from nine to seven innings.

    Whole bunch of arguments -- mostly to protect pitchers from injuries, but also to attract younger fans with a shorter, "more intense" game.

    I can't begin to express my outrage over this suggestion ... I have to believe it will go no where,

    But if it gets traction ... I'm outta here!
    That's just insane on the face of it!

    Back in the day, games were around 2-2 1/2 hours and were good games. Last year, the Red Sox and Dodgers played a game that was 2:07 so it can still be done (it was a 2-0 Dodgers win). I blame TV for 1.5-2 minutes of commercials for every half inning change and every pitcher change (this is starting to become an issue in football too, they will score a touchdown, kick the pat, go to commercial, come back, do the kick off and go to commercial before the other team snaps the ball). Batters need to quit getting out of the box for a 30 second glove retightening (especially when it was a ball and they didn't even move during the pitch!) and pitchers need to get the ball back, get set and just pitch. I also blame Tony LaRussa for really getting the process started regarding changing pitchers all the time, causing more delays while they warm up.
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

  12. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    ... an unnamed baseball executive, arguing that baseball should reduce games from nine to seven innings...

    I can't begin to express my outrage over this suggestion ... But if it gets traction ... I'm outta here!
    Not to mention the OUTRAGE over the likely last call in the fifth inning! This is America, gosh-darnit! Hot dogs and beer at baseball games, the flag and orthodontically straightened teeth!

    What is wrong with these nitwits!?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  13. #33
    Dev11's Avatar
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Quote Originally Posted by jjasper0729 View Post
    That's just insane on the face of it!

    Back in the day, games were around 2-2 1/2 hours and were good games. Last year, the Red Sox and Dodgers played a game that was 2:07 so it can still be done (it was a 2-0 Dodgers win). I blame TV for 1.5-2 minutes of commercials for every half inning change and every pitcher change (this is starting to become an issue in football too, they will score a touchdown, kick the pat, go to commercial, come back, do the kick off and go to commercial before the other team snaps the ball). Batters need to quit getting out of the box for a 30 second glove retightening (especially when it was a ball and they didn't even move during the pitch!) and pitchers need to get the ball back, get set and just pitch. I also blame Tony LaRussa for really getting the process started regarding changing pitchers all the time, causing more delays while they warm up.
    Shorten all the wasted time between pitches and everything would be fine. I think they should also have a limit on how many 'time-outs' a team gets, between mound visits from catchers/coaches and the ones where the player doesn't feel set and just sort of arbitrarily puts his hand up and steps out.

  14. #34

    Avilan?

    I've been holding my breath all day. I saw Luis Avilan leave Tuesday's game after eight pitches -- apparently with an arm/elbow issue.

    Another pitching injury for the Braves?

    I can't find any news on the web ... anything in Atlanta?

    Another strong start by the unlikely Harang -- he got the loss Tuesday, but he gave up just two hits and one run in six innings. Maybe if he used PEDs like the cheater who beat him ...

    I see Santana is scheduled to start tonight (Wednesday). That should be interesting.

  15. #35
    Rock on Turner Field.



    The Braves are reworking their pyrotechnics after a mishap at the home opener caught an American flag on fire.
    http://www.11alive.com/story/news/lo...-fire/7507447/
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    That might work during the Star Spangled Banner.

  17. #37
    Dev11's Avatar
    Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Denver
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    The General Sherman jokes are screaming from this photo.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Still less embarrassing than the Barve offense.

  19. #39

    the braves

    Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Still less embarrassing than the Barve offense.
    Atlanta's numbers have been pretty amazing so far. Going into tonight, Atlanta had scored just 15 runs -- the lowest total in baseball. And 11 of those 15 had come in two games, so the Braves had a total of four runs in the other five games.

    But look at the other side -- Atlanta had ALLOWED just 13 runs in seven games for a team ERA of 1.92. That's also the lowest in the majors.

    Not sure how Wednesday night's slugfest with the Mets will impact those numbers -- the Braves scored all of four runs ... and allowed three (all by the bullpen in the ninth).

    So that's 19 runs scored and 16 allowed in eight games. The horror -- the team ERA is up to 2.00

    The most amazing thing about what's going on is that Braves are getting the best starting pitching in baseball -- and that's with four of the five guys expected to be in the starting rotation on the DL (Medlin, Beachy, Minor and Floyd). Yet, in eight games, the Braves have gotten seven quality starts -- the worst being Teheran's opening performance -- two runs in six innings. The only start that was not technically a quality start was Hale's debut -- and he pitched five scoreless innings before he was relieved (technically, you have to go six innings to get a quality start).

    Three starters have gone 5, 6.2 and 8 innings without giving up a run. Two have gone 6 and 7 innings while allowing one run. Three have gone 6, 7 and 7 while giving up two runs.

    That's simply amazing.

    The late pickup of Santana sure paid off tonight -- no runs in eight innings.

    The question is which turns first -- does the Braves offense wake up or does the pitching collapse? Or do the Braves become the 1959 Dodgers? Or maybe the World Champion 1906 Chicago White Sox -- the Hitless Wonders?

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Buster Olney has an interview up with a unnamed baseball executive, arguing that baseball should reduce games from nine to seven innings.
    So... when do I stretch? Right before I leave?

Similar Threads

  1. English Premier League 2013-2014
    By luburch in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 156
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 11:29 AM
  2. MLB Hot Stove League 2013-2014
    By jjasper0729 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 144
    Last Post: 02-05-2014, 03:37 AM
  3. Major League Baseball - 2013
    By JBDuke in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 679
    Last Post: 09-30-2013, 12:49 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-17-2013, 01:10 AM
  5. First annual DBR forum fantasy baseball league
    By Osiagledknarf in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-16-2010, 02:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •