Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Prince Fielder likely out for the year with neck surgery. No worries for Texas though, a build like his, ages 31 - 36 are sure to be his best years.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

What is the record for the most intentional bases on balls -- in one game -- for two teams combined.

I've found that Andre Dawson got walked 5 times in a 16-inning game. Barry Bonds 4 times in a 9-inning game.

What I cannot find is the record for two teams combined in one game.

"feelings aren't high on his list of concerns"

I saw where Jeter just passed Aparicio for No. 2 on the list of games played at shortstop -- ironically, he did it in Chicago against the White Sox:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...ames-played-ss

Visquel has the record for games at short and unless Jeter changes his mind and comes back next year, he won't catch him.

But Jeter does hold the record for most games played at a single position without ever playing another position. I guess they don't count DG (Jeter has DHed on a number of occasions). But Defensively, he's never played anywhere but SS.

That and a discussion on the MLB Network about Paul Konerko's Hall of Fame chances led me to revisit one of my annual things -- looking at how many current players are "drop dead" Hall of Famers (meaning if they dropped dead today, would they be in the Hall).

Right now, I would argue that there are just three no-doubt players in that category -- Jeter, Pujols and Suzuki. I guess Miggy is just about there at age 31 (five straight top 5 MVP years at Detroit ... two more in Miami). Maybe Yadier Molina -- he's awfully close. I would include Ortiz, except he tested positive for PEDs and the voters have been very harsh in their judgment of guys linked to PEDs.

Curious that there is no pitcher who is a lock HOFer -- Tim Hudson is the leading active guy in victories and he's barely over 200. Is there a closer who has HOF credentials?

Don't get me wrong. There are A LOT of guys on a HOF track. Kershaw, Verlander, Scherzer on the mound. I think Longoria, Cano and Pedroia are in the mix. Heck, Mike Trout, Puig are on their way ... but they all have a way to go. But I still remember how quickly guys I thought were HOF-bound faded -- Andrew Jones, Don Mattingly, Dale Murphy. If the guys I mention follow normal career tracks, they'll get in. But if they slump or quit, they're not there yet.

BTW: The MLB "experts" all voted thumbs down on Konerko ... I have to agree. Good, but not HOFer.

Who have I forgotten?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Reviewing the Hall of Fame grey-ink monitor list (based on Bill James concepts), about the only hitter not listed that's high enough to be a "shoo-in" is Bobby Abreu, who doesn't fit what I'd call a HoFer. A-Rod, of course, would also be in without the "distractions". I'm assuming that Jim Thome is officially retired.

On the pitching side, CC ranks highest of all active pitchers with Tim Hudson just behind. (Halladay, Pettite having just retired.) None of these four, from this list, would be in.

Baseball-Reference.com's the source (find it here http://www.baseball-reference.com/le...standard.shtml )

With recent retirees, and the PED questions, there's really very few HoF candidates right now (most stars don't quite qualify yet, although as mentioned many are on the right track.)

Speaking of potential hall of famers, and PED's, Manny's back (albeit in the minors).

Manny will coach full-time and play part-time in a limited role that does not take at-bats away from our prospects. If he shows there is still some magic in his bat, perhaps he will find his way to the major leagues and help another team, but that is not why he is here. We are thrilled that he wants to work with our young hitters and make a difference.

As for moving up with Chicago however,

[Manny] is not and will not be a fit on the Cubs' major league roster.
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...0,238974.story
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Memo to the parties who regularly like acting in nasty and hate-filled ways towards the Cardinals in these threads:

Today, Yadier Molina stepped away from his catching post so that the Saint Louis crowd could give Derek Jeter a standing ovation prior to his first at bat.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

APB on the Tiger offense. I think it's wandering around somewhere near Romulus in a haze of donut induced catatonia. Slo-mo train wreck in progress. Gaaaaah!

Deport Chris Johnson.

Atlanta about to get swept by the worst team in the worst division in baseball. Good work.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Atlanta about to get swept by the worst team in the worst division in baseball at home. Good work.
    There, threw another shovel of dirt on the Braves for you.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Fire Chris Johnson into space.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    There, threw another shovel of dirt on the Braves for you.
    Two of the games are in Boston. Then again, Fenway Park will be the only stadium the franchise has ever called home that will be standing in three years, so.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Two of the games are in Boston. Then again, Fenway Park will be the only stadium the franchise has ever called home that will be standing in three years, so.
    I thought something was odd about the game listings when I saw Atlanta @ Boston Wednesday and I swear, when I looked at the box score for the 1st two games, the Braves were on the bottom of the box score. Guess I should pay more attention.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Detroit Tigers: Slow-Motion Train Wreck.

I'm booking a flight to the Himalayas to meditate on some mountain for the rest of the MLB season. Might be back when Countdown to Craziness begins.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Detroit Tigers: Slow-Motion Train Wreck.

I'm booking a flight to the Himalayas to meditate on some mountain for the rest of the MLB season. Might be back when Countdown to Craziness begins.
    You can't complain too much, Weez, when two terrific pitchers do their jobs and the game is decided by a probable all-star's walk-off HR against an all-star closer. That's just entertaining, and darn good baseball.

Kudos to Sanchez and Nathan. More kudos to Kazmir (who went 27 outs) and Donaldson.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    You can't complain too much, Weez...
    Well, you're right on one thing, Jim: there is no limit as to how much I can complain about what is turning into a laughingstock season.

It's at least a change of pace from those here who are braves complainers....
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Rick Reilly writes a column worshipping the greatest Yankee in half a century:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...ly-derek-jeter

Warning: Yankee haters should not click on it

BTW: The worst first pitch idea EVER (much worse than Carl Lewis or 50 Cents):

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/RedZon...er-seen-305709

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    Rick Reilly writes a column worshipping the greatest Yankee in half a century:

http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/10...ly-derek-jeter

Warning: Yankee haters should not click on it
    This is one of the strangest columns I have ever seen.

To Derek Jeter's kids (whenever you come along):

You were born too late to know your father the way we did, so I want to take just a minute to let you know what he meant to us.

Pretty impressive for the Marlins to be leading their division in June even with the Fernandez injury.