Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Quote Originally Posted by AncientPsychicT View Post
    That's easy! Just do whatever they do when the Chiefs have a really good year!

Oh wait...
    Good thing I have Duke football and basketball to support - more consistent teams.

At least the Braves can't end up in last place in their division.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I guess with both teams in the playoffs, Yadier Molina felt it necessary to send a warning shot in advance of a potential I 70 series.

Demented and sad, but social, right?

Pirates lose today on a 10th inning grand slam.

Cards can slam the door with a win tonight (or tomorrow)

Cards lose to Diamondbacks - 1 up on Pirates with 1 game to go

Decision time for Pirates - start Cole against Reds in a game that will not gain you anything if the Cards win today or hold him for either a tiebreaker game with St Louis/playoff game with Giants

I am in a state of bewilderment. If Tigs manage to right this sinking ship, they won't survive round one.
    Am I really awake?
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

There are three interesting situations going into the last day of the regular season. Two are in the central part of the US as the Royals/Tigers and Cardinals/Pirates jockey for position. Seattle and Oakland battle for the remaining wild card spot in the AL.

Some marquee pitchers pitching today, Wainwright, King Felix, David Price and Sonny Gray toe the mound. Pittsburgh sends Gerrit Cole up against Cincy's ace, Johnny Cueto who is searching for his 20th win of the season. KC's matchup with the White Sox is also of note as it pits two rookie pitchers in a very important game.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I am in a state of bewilderment. If Tigs manage to right this sinking ship, they won't survive round one.
    Am I really awake?
    I agree, it's hard to see them going far in the playoffs, and in this era of 3 division champs and 2 wildcards PER LEAGUE, just making the playoffs is hardly satsifying. The pitching has been the greatest letdown. They miss Fister.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    There are three interesting situations going into the last day of the regular season. Two are in the central part of the US as the Royals/Tigers and Cardinals/Pirates jockey for position. Seattle and Oakland battle for the remaining wild card spot in the AL.

Some marquee pitchers pitching today, Wainwright, King Felix, David Price and Sonny Gray toe the mound. Pittsburgh sends Gerrit Cole up against Cincy's ace, Johnny Cueto who is searching for his 20th win of the season. KC's matchup with the White Sox is also of note as it pits two rookie pitchers in a very important game.
    Anybody remember last year's wildcard game in the NL -- when the Pittsburgh fans taunted Cueto to distraction?

Today could be his payback.

I have to admit -- the two wild card scenario has really worked. Before (when there was one wild card), there would have been nothing on the line today. Yeah. KC/Detroit and St. Louis/Pittsburgh would be jockeying for division titles, but it really didn't matter whether you won the division or won the wild card. Now it matters a lot!

A couple of good individual races still in play -- Jose Altuve leads Victor Martinez by 3 points in the AL batting race. There was a story on ESPN that Altuve would sit today to maintain his .340 average. I was about to rant about how BS that was ... now another story popped up saying he will play. If he plays, I'm pulling for the little guy. If he sits, my sympathies are with Martinez.

Better race for the NL batting title -- Justin Morneau (.319) has a one-point lead on Josh Harrison (.318), Andrew McCutchen (.314) has an outside chance.

The home run races are pretty settled -- Giancarlo Stanton leads Anthony Rizzo by six homers, even after missing the last month. Nelson Cruz has a three HR lead on Chris Cater.

Adrian Gonzales has the NL RBI title locked up (he's eight ahead of second place Stanton, who is not playing), but the AL race is tight -- Mike Trout (111) has a slight edge on Miguel Cabrera (109) and Nelson Cruz (108).

The wins leaders are set -- Kershaw in the NL leads with 21 and the only guy who could catch him is Wainright (20) and he's not pitching today. Kluber, Scherzer and Weaver are tied with 18 wins in the AL, but none is starting today.

Kershaw has the NL ERA title locked up, but there is a race for the AL title. Chris Sale leads at the moment (2.17) and he's not pitching today ... King Felix is -- and he's at 2.18, so with a good start he wins.

Rodney has the AL saves title locked up, but in the NL, Craig Kimbrell goes into the final day with 46 saves -- one more than Trevor Rosenthal.

Just one caveat about all this -- baseball has an odd rule about playoff games. Postseason stats don't count toward season stats -- but if there is a 163rd game -- for instance, Detroit-KC playing for the division title Monday -- that game WOULD count toward season stats... I don't know the rotations in Detroit and St. Louis, but if they play Monday, there's a chance for Scherzer or Wainright to add another win (and for Martinez to up his batting average).

Quote Originally Posted by Olympic Fan View Post
    The wins leaders are set -- Kershaw in the NL leads with 21 and the only guy who could catch him is Wainright (20) and he's not pitching today. Kluber, Scherzer and Weaver are tied with 18 wins in the AL, but none is starting today.
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch has Wainwright pitching today(http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseball/professional/cards-have-been-using-taveras-in-a-pinch/article_0d27e8b7-72b0-50f3-97de-9d5bb872a002.html):

WAINO SET TO START
    Regardless of the outcome of Saturday’s game and whether or not Sunday’s means anything to the standings, ace Adam Wainwright was still expected to start, Matheny said. Shelby Miller will not be available out of the bullpen as he readies for his postseason assignment. Matheny included Wainwright staying on schedule as part of his overall message to the team to not get distracted by the what-if scenarios at this time of year.

“That’s the mental gymnastics of keeping everybody where they need to be right now, and Waino needs to be locked in on pitching (against Arizona) and thinking that it’s the biggest game of the year,” Matheny said, “and it very well could be.”

The reasons for starting Wainwright went beyond possibly needing the win to clinch the division title. Matheny cited the schedule and a personal achievement as contributing factors. Skipping Sunday’s start after a clinch would mean Wainwright would not pitch until Friday in Game 1 of a division series. That would put 11 games between starts. A last start in the regular season would also give Wainwright a shot at his 21st win.

He tied a career high at Wrigley Field last week with a 20th win.

Twenty-one wins would tie Clayton Kershaw for the league lead.

“We never want to slight any of the personal accomplishments that our guys can make,” Matheny said. “But we want to make sure we’re prioritizing.”
    But of course, he could only tie Kershaw.

Jose Altuve, Becoming a Hero

This is a developing story, but all hail Jose!. Astros 2B Jose Altuve was leading the league in batting with 0.340 average before today's games, 0.003 ahead of Victor Martinez, the Detroit DH. Houston announced that Altuve would sit the last day to protect his lead for the batting title. Not so fast there, said Jose, I want to play. Therefore, honoring the request of their best player, the 'Tros put him in the lineup. So far, he is 2-3 with a double and has raised his average to 0.341. Martinez is 0-2 and has a 0.336 average.

Kindly, Sage
    'Now Victor could get a few more ABs if Detroit loses and has a playoff game against KC for the Division pennant'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If you're going to wrap up a league-best regular season, might as well wrap it up with a dominating no-hit performance. Jordan Zimmerman gets the no-no, striking out 10, walking 1, and getting some last second help with a diving catch in left from Steven Sousa for the final out of a 1-0 win.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

Looks like the Cardinals changed their mind after the Reds beat the Pirates. Cueto did get his 20th win.

AL: Angels, Orioles, Tigers, Royals and Athletics

Oakland, at one point the team with the best record in baseball, stumbled over the finish line today, beating the Rangers 4-0. The A's will play a wild card game against Kansas City.

Detroit won to sew up the AL Central. In the NL, as noted above, the Cards secured the Central over the Pirates.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    If you're going to wrap up a league-best regular season, might as well wrap it up with a dominating no-hit performance. Jordan Zimmerman gets the no-no, striking out 10, walking 1, and getting some last second help with a diving catch in left from Steven Sousa for the final out of a 1-0 win.
    What an amazing catch by Souza to preserve the no-hitter! Let's see if I can post the video here:

http://m.mlb.com/wsh/video/topic/968...7991/?c_id=was
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

It was indeed a spectacular catch.

Well, here we all go...
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    This is a developing story, but all hail Jose!. Astros 2B Jose Altuve was leading the league in batting with 0.340 average before today's games, 0.003 ahead of Victor Martinez, the Detroit DH. Houston announced that Altuve would sit the last day to protect his lead for the batting title. Not so fast there, said Jose, I want to play. Therefore, honoring the request of their best player, the 'Tros put him in the lineup. So far, he is 2-3 with a double and has raised his average to 0.341. Martinez is 0-2 and has a 0.336 average.
    I agree on Altuve ... props to the little guy for going out there and winning the batting title on the field.

At the same time, a measure of contempt for Justin Morneau, who backed into the NL batting title. According to MLB TV, he was in the lineup in LA until the Rockies learned that Josh Harrison (who entered the day .001 behind Morneau) had gone 0-for-4 in Cincinnati. Then they sat him. He did get in the game as a pinch-hitter (going 0-for-1), but his title was never at risk.

Not a lot changed on Sunday in the individual ratings - Kimbrell did add another save to win the NL save race by two -- about the only thing the Braves can take out of this season.

The only major individual title that was decided Sunday was the AL ER race -- by throwing 5.1 scoreless innings, King Felix lowered his ERA from 2.18 to 2.14 and was able to pass the idle Chris Sale(2.17).

Sorry we didn't end up with a Monday game ... but looking forward to Oakland at KC Tuesday night (a great pitching matchup with Lester vs. Shields) and San Francisco at Pittsburgh Wednesday. Not sure that the Giants don't have the edge with Bumgardner on the mound. he Bucs used up their top couple of guys trying to catch St.Louis or the division title. They'll start Volquez, who is not bad, but not their best either. They might also be hurting at catcher -- Russell Martin missed the last game with an injury and backup Chris Stewart hurt his hand when he was hit by Johnny Cueto's backswing on what proved to be the game-winning hit Sunday.

PS Props to Derek Jeter, who ended his career with an RBI single in Boston. Actually he was 1-2 as the DH Saturday and 1-2 against Sunday -- both hits were infield singles.