Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by 77devil View Post
    The use of a pin implies to me that you are a using a debit card. I would cut it up an never use it again. Debit cards have all the disadvantages of check fraud noted above, including the weaker legal protection than credit cards, and no reward points. I agree with Turk below. Have an ATM only card and use credit cards for purchases.
    I'm not sure this is always true. At a couple local banks, the ATM card carries the Visa logo and doubles as a debit card. I believe you get all the protections of VISA w/r/t fraudulent charges, and you specify a daily limit on charges or cash withdrawals. I think FDIC insurance also applies. Your only obligation is to report an issue as soon as possible.

The City of Brotherly Love except when it's cold.
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    I'm not sure this is always true. At a couple local banks, the ATM card carries the Visa logo and doubles as a debit card. I believe you get all the protections of VISA w/r/t fraudulent charges, and you specify a daily limit on charges or cash withdrawals. I think FDIC insurance also applies. Your only obligation is to report an issue as soon as possible.
    Perhaps Dodd-Frank or other recent legislation beefed up debit card fraud protection for consumers. If so, it's about time. In the past, there was a clear delineation between credit and debit liability no matter what logo was on the debit card. I don't follow the issue that closely because I see no value in debit cards with interest free money available for up to 60 days using credit cards that additionally offer cash or other rewards. And most importantly, as I wrote before, in matters of consumer fraud, it is always better to owe(credit card) than to be owed(debit card).