Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Announcer Carousel 2014

No More Jimmy Dykes, he'll be the women's coach at Arkansas next year.

Surprised no comments about the Nantz/Anthony pairing yet. Nice to see cbs finally figured out Clark Kellogg sucks. Anthony didn't do a terrible job, it seemed. Any word whether he's staying on during the Final Four?

I might be old school, but Verne/Raf is still #1 for me. Just absolute quality, those 2. I'm pretty excited for next season as Dan Dakich's son graduated Ohio St so I shouldn't have to hear about him anymore. Already an up-grade.

I think Greg Anthony is as good as it gets on color. I think Kerr will be in Dallas for the FF with Nantz.

When I saw the thread title, I half-expected to see something about Bob Harris. I love Bob, but I think "he's lost a step" to put it in sports parlance. Bob is a contemporary (and from the same hometown of Albemarle, NC) of Woody Durham, who stepped down 3 years ago.

Or maybe Bob is intent on staying as long as Coach K does?

Not asking much

I can endure most, but, please not a minute more of Marv Albert..
    Let's go DUKE !!!

I thought I heard Anthony and Nantz talking about being together next week in Dallas, and makes sense they'd do a warm-up game this weekend ... Nantz used to do that with Kellogg, who did stink, and is really the odd man out with Kenny Smith and Barkley in the studio, given Kellogg seems to have only a tiny fraction of their coolness and common sense.

Several times during the tourney, I'd catch a bit of a game and think it was Dan Bonner on the color, and it was Kerr. That's high praise.

Yes, Anthony took Kellogg's place for the full season, including the Final Four.

Poor Clark - he's getting outclassed in the studio by Charles and Kenny after being replaced as the lead color guy.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Clark Kellogg has been horrible for years.

Seth Davis is getting more and more unbearable each year.

Len Elmore doesn't even know what sport he is talking about.

Every year I am more and more thankful for the mute button.

Am I the only one who likes Doris Kerr?

Quote Originally Posted by BluDvlsN1 View Post
    I can endure most, but, please not a minute more of Marv Albert..
    Ehh, I don't think he's that bad...for some reason I always picture him announcing he games in pink lingerie. Not sure why

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Uh, that was supposed to be Doris Burke.

I think Kerr and Anthony are both excellent because they actually analyze, you know, the game.

Kellogg is doing much less damage in the studio than he was trying to be so cutesy pie with his lame catch phrases as a game announcer. Kenny Smith is useless. He's not funny and he rarely can get a coherent, interesting thought out of his brain and out through his mouth. He spends a lot of time saying basically nothing.

Jim Nantz is just so corporate, so vanilla, so canned. To him, the games are just widgets. Give me back Gus Johnson! Please! Some passion!

Al McGuire.

I'm glad to hear that other people like Greg Anthony. I think he does a tremendous job. Kerr is also good but this may be his last year as an announcer. Tons of rumors about him heading to the Knicks as a head coach.

I feel bad for Kellogg. He seems like a genuinely nice guy but he's just not that good as a commentator or studio analyst. It's tough to expect him to have the same chemistry that Barkley and Kenny have together but he doesn't quite understand how to "pick his spots" if you will.

-Verne is starting to slow down a little but but I'd still take him and Raf over any other team. On a personal note, I have had the chance to meet both of these guys on multiple occasions and they are hilarious and extremely nice. So many great stories between the two. So many classic calls, as well.

-Since we are on the subject of announcers and "analysts" did anyone happen to see Seth Davis and Gottlieb get into it a little the other night on TBS? Something about Seth making a point and gottlieb saying "I literally just tweeted that" and then them both making snide remarks. They both serve the same purpose and I wouldn't be surprised if they see each other as "rivals." I get the feeling that they actually do not like each other.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    I think Kerr and Anthony are both excellent because they actually analyze, you know, the game.

Kellogg is doing much less damage in the studio than he was trying to be so cutesy pie with his lame catch phrases as a game announcer. Kenny Smith is useless. He's not funny and he rarely can get a coherent, interesting thought out of his brain and out through his mouth. He spends a lot of time saying basically nothing.

Jim Nantz is just so corporate, so vanilla, so canned. To him, the games are just widgets. Give me back Gus Johnson! Please! Some passion!
    Give me Bill Raftery, Sean Mcdonough and Jay Bilas everyday and twice on Sunday!

"A little lingerie on the deck!"

Reggie Miller

I saw so many games not sure which one.

As the teams come on the court after a time out, Reggie says the defensive team really needs a stop. The offensive team was shooting free throws.

I think Greg Anthony does a great job and am glad to see others agree.

SoCal

Allie LaForce

Personally, I want to see more of Allie LaForce -- a lot more! AND, she is by far the most knowledgeable sideline reporter I have ever had the pleasure to endure.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Doris Kerr was one of the best. Unfortunately, she is no longer with us... http://dwwhite.tributes.com/our_obit...-Kerr-95966843

Greg Anthony was contradictory last night at the UM/UK game over block/charge. But then, many are.
    Give me Ian Eagle and Mr. Spanarkel. I agree on praise for Reggie Miller. His sister used to do some commentary. Whatever happened to her? John Thompson is good. Bobby Knight, too. I tire of a lot of the same faces and voices.

Quote Originally Posted by tommy View Post
    Jim Nantz is just so corporate, so vanilla, so canned. To him, the games are just widgets.
    Amen. American bball play-by-play guys are generally bland, but Nantz is exactly as tommy describes him. Some of the commentary guys I do appreciate, Bonner and Gminski especially. Although his voice may not quite be right, Spanarkel is good, too. So far, I like Anthony.

I'll take English Premier League announcing teams, who use words like "speculative," for an errant shot or too-far pass.