Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

I use a shaving cream warmer

I prefer to shave before I shower. I have a shaving cream warmer from Conair. You can pick them up on Amazon for under $50. The Conair can warm both gel and traditional shaving cream. I use the gel. Once I wake up, I turn on the warmer. About 5 minutes later it is warm enough to use (the longer you wait the warmer it will be). Once the warmer is ready, I wash my face with hot water (I used to use a scrub but it made my face too dry). The gel comes out almost as a cream and warm. I use Gillette Fusion to shave. Costco often carries Gillette blades at relatively reasonable prices. They usually last me about 3-4 weeks. I rinse off the remaining cream in the shower. I use the Neutrogena Men’s face lotion with SPF 20 after I shower. I used to get a ton of bumps, but this routine has worked well for me for several years now. I shave every weekday and try not to shave on the weekends or vacations.

Day 1 Try 1

Can't travel with a safety razor, but for those interested in a blow by blow account, here goes.

Wow, the Merkur 34C is hefty and feels like quality.
    The handle is machined for a good grip while wet.

The handle came with one Merkur blade in wax paper wrapping.
    Apparently razor thin applies to more than just thin slices, I was unprepared for how thin and fragile the blade looked- far thinner than box cutter razors.

It might have been a tactical error, but I did not shave the day before.
    I lathered up with the badger brush using the Every Man Jack shave soap.

I was surprised how easy it was and how well it worked. The razor is setup so that if the angle is wrong, you don't shave.
    Some passes I got it, others not so much.
    I wasn't brave enough to try across the grain or against the grain, but I did do 2 passes with the grain (after a relather).

I'm pleased with the results- a good shave, no razor burn.
    Some areas to work on around the nose and some more to learn for sure to get better.

First cool thing is I did not cut myself.
    Second cool thing after the safety razor shave is you really use no pressure using a safety razor, the blade does all the work. Contrast that against pressing super hard to get the a Fusion or Dollar Shave Club to work.

Cost of entry to a safety razor shave can be a bit high, but the cost of blades is dramatically different and a big win over time.

More to come but round one was encouraging.

Without going too heavily in my personal life, I write an advice column about personal grooming, and I thought it would be helpful to share a recent excerpt here.

Dear Brevity,

I am a college basketball player at a nationally recognized program. My team recently had a long winning streak, and we stopped shaving out of superstition. I learned that when this happens, my beard comes out patchy. We have a strong recruiting class coming in next season, and I am concerned that I will have to grow out my ugly facial hair all over again. What should I do?

Signed,
    Jutting Mustache Mess

P.S. Will you ever run your column in a podcast or video? I can't read or write.

Dear JMM,

You might consider declaring for the NBA. They are less superstitious there.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Without going too heavily in my personal life, I write an advice column about personal grooming, and I thought it would be helpful to share a recent excerpt here.

Dear Brevity,

I am a college basketball player at a nationally recognized program. My team recently had a long winning streak, and we stopped shaving out of superstition. I learned that when this happens, my beard comes out patchy. We have a strong recruiting class coming in next season, and I am concerned that I will have to grow out my ugly facial hair all over again. What should I do?

Signed,
    Jutting Mustache Mess

P.S. Will you ever run your column in a podcast or video? I can't read or write.

Dear JMM,

You should feel real fortunate that I was not enjoying a beverage while reading this or you'd owe me the cost of a new laptop.

24.gif

Too soon to spork you again but I'm trying.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Can't travel with a safety razor, but for those interested in a blow by blow account, here goes.

Apparently razor thin applies to more than just thin slices, I was unprepared for how thin and fragile the blade looked- far thinner than box cutter razors.

I was surprised how easy it was and how well it worked. The razor is setup so that if the angle is wrong, you don't shave.
    I wasn't brave enough to try across the grain or against the grain, but I did do 2 passes with the grain (after a relather).

Some areas to work on around the nose and some more to learn for sure to get better.

Second cool thing after the safety razor shave is you really use no pressure using a safety razor, the blade does all the work. Contrast that against pressing super hard to get the a Fusion or Dollar Shave Club to work.

Cost of entry to a safety razor shave can be a bit high, but the cost of blades is dramatically different and a big win over time.

Sounds like kicking it old school will work for you. What if this leads to other changes in your life: getting out of the chair to go change the channel ... writing friends letters ... looking out on the front porch in the morning to see if the milkman has made his delivery ...

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Sounds like kicking it old school will work for you. What if this leads to other changes in your life: getting out of the chair to go change the channel ... writing friends letters ... looking out on the front porch in the morning to see if the milkman has made his delivery ...
    Writing friends letters sounds good. :-)
    We already get produce delivered by CSA (community sourced agriculture).
    This thread has been fun for me and I've enjoyed the humour for sure.

I'm debating a new thread about natural / organic / healthy alternatives to other modern products - soap, shampoo, deodorant, etc.
    They say that healthy food is something your grandmother would recognize.
    I've also heard the witty "eat what comes off a plant, not from a (manufacturing) plant". Or, don't buy food with more than five ingredients.

Since our skin is our largest organ (I'm sure someone can riff a good joke here) it's pretty amazing some of the stuff we put on our bodies in the name of cleanliness.

Thanks Fuse. Sounds encouraging and gives hope for the rest of us planning to attempt DE shaving.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

Dear Brevity,

Signed,
    Jutting Mustache Mess

Dear JMM,

Ermagawd. POTD.

Shaving recommendations.

I see some have taken the attitude I have when it comes to shaving. It takes me maybe 3-5 minutes to get a shave. I take my time doing this and actually enjoy this time. I am old school badger brush and straight razor. The 25 years in the service I went with about everything you can shave with. I went back to what I again, enjoy.
    Someone uses TOBS which is a very nice cream. Will last about 3-6 months. Goes for 20-25 dollars. I use only their grapefruit smell during summer. I am a fan of Trufitt and Hill Rose and Lavendar. 2 classic scents. These are about 28-30 dollars , again last about 4-6 months. I have 3 brushes I use in my rotation. There are different types of badger from pure to best to silvertip, and vary in cost. These last 10-20 years if taken care of and vary in price. From 50 bucks to 150 bucks and up.
    The reason I do this is because I enjoy it. And I get my best shave. I share all this with you.
    A site I recommend to you all is Blade and Badger. There all your questions are there. They have videos on how to shave. They have links on all the shaving brushes out there. They have every type of razor. I am 62 and can tell you this is easy to do, and inexpensive IMO. BTW there are creams that run under 10 dollars such as Proroso and are very, very good. These are noted in this shaving forum. Again Blade and Badger for a lot of information.

Nice day
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by DukeAlumBS View Post
    I see some have taken the attitude I have when it comes to shaving. It takes me maybe 3-5 minutes to get a shave. I take my time doing this and actually enjoy this time. I am old school badger brush and straight razor. The 25 years in the service I went with about everything you can shave with. I went back to what I again, enjoy.
    Someone uses TOBS which is a very nice cream. Will last about 3-6 months. Goes for 20-25 dollars. I use only their grapefruit smell during summer. I am a fan of Trufitt and Hill Rose and Lavendar. 2 classic scents. These are about 28-30 dollars , again last about 4-6 months. I have 3 brushes I use in my rotation. There are different types of badger from pure to best to silvertip, and vary in cost. These last 10-20 years if taken care of and vary in price. From 50 bucks to 150 bucks and up.
    The reason I do this is because I enjoy it. And I get my best shave. I share all this with you.
    A site I recommend to you all is Blade and Badger. There all your questions are there. They have videos on how to shave. They have links on all the shaving brushes out there. They have every type of razor. I am 62 and can tell you this is easy to do, and inexpensive IMO. BTW there are creams that run under 10 dollars such as Proroso and are very, very good. These are noted in this shaving forum. Again Blade and Badger for a lot of information.

Nice day
    Jimmy
    Straight razor? I'm impressed. I don't think I'm confident enough to hold an open blade to my face.
    Thanks for the product recommendations!

I am old school badger brush and straight razor.

Jimmy
    Straight razor at age 62? OK, DABS. Wait until the docs put you on coumadin (warfarin). I guarantee you will give it up...even safety razors will go bye-bye. Blood thinners and sharp blades do not go together. Enjoy that blade while you can.

I will not need Warfarin my friend!

I am one of those older men who exercises like he was 20-30.
    So will have no need for anything , maybe a Motrin?
    I learned and grew up this way.
    I have used the double blades you all seek.
    I think a great, and inexpensive way to tackle.
    Again Badger and Blade a very involved forum , detailed for all you need. If have questions, these can be taken car of.
    Nice day my friend
    Jimmy

I am one of those older men who exercises like he was 20-30.
    So will have no need for anything , maybe a Motrin?
    Nice day my friend
    Jimmy
    Let's hope you turn out to be right. At age 62 I was swimming a mile every three days. Even at 70, my blood chemistry was excellent and my swimming still good. Didn't stop the heart from malfunctioning at age 66 even as the chemistry remained (remains) good. Warfarin started then; still on it six years later. Check with devildeac to see how that happens. Don't totally rely on the numbers. Keep listening to your body.

Good wishes to you, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    Let's hope you turn out to be right. At age 62 I was swimming a mile every three days. Even at 70, my blood chemistry was excellent and my swimming still good. Didn't stop the heart from malfunctioning at age 66 even as the chemistry remained (remains) good. Warfarin started then; still on it six years later. Check with devildeac to see how that happens. Don't totally rely on the numbers. Keep listening to your body.

Good wishes to you, sir!
    Hi my friend I like you am old school health and exercise. The military years made this solid. Your age and Warfarin tells me you probably got A Fib ? Continue the cardio at best. AMA recommend 45 minutes 5 days a week!
    Regarding shaving can not change this no matter what . You are right a Warfarin slow bleed is awful, rather have an open arterial bleed to manage! Have nice day
    Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post

Good wishes to you, sir!
    Out of curiosity, and not to be too personal for the sake of it, did you have any of the childhood infectious diseases when you were young?

My father (75) has low body mass, a so-so, not-terrible history of cardiovascular problems in his family in previous generations, has exercised like a nut most of his life...and had to have a 4x bypass at age 65. His cholesterol was usually "high normal," not high. He did grow up in the era of eating trans fats for no reason. He had measles and I think something else when he was young. I have read, and he is obsessed with, articles that argue that those inflammatory diseases that most young Americans don't get anymore greatly increase lifetime risk of cardio disease. They all had measles, him and his brothers. One had his first heart attack at 48, and the other at, I'm not sure, about 50. Unlike my father, they were heavy though. He's also rejected the statins they gave him because he doesn't like the side effects.

I need to lose weight like it's my job.

Brevity, the Onion article you linked I think is in their all-time top ten. Still LOL-funny a decade later.

There's a simple solution to this razor blade problem, folks. Shave but 10% of the arable territory on your lower cranium. I've been using mach 3 since they came out, and one cartridge lasts me about a month.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

My first foray was not as encouraging as yours. Ended up with quite a few nicks on my neck and the shave, as a whole, was choppy. All in all it was not a very positive experience (other than the brush and lather, which I enjoy). I'll remain optimistic and keep at it, but if I don't get the hang of it I may decide to stick with the brush/lather and go back to my Fusion.
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    My first foray was not as encouraging as yours. Ended up with quite a few nicks on my neck and the shave, as a whole, was choppy. All in all it was not a very positive experience (other than the brush and lather, which I enjoy). I'll remain optimistic and keep at it, but if I don't get the hang of it I may decide to stick with the brush/lather and go back to my Fusion.
    We'll get through it- next shave for me with safety razor on Friday. Dollar Shave Club blade tearing me up while traveling!

Nicks and costs

My friends I see an issue with minor nicks. The angle of your technique is just off. Go to BLADE AND BADGER there are videos to help you all with razor, badger brush use. It is not that difficult at all, IMO easier and more enjoyable. The cost of the Gillette Mach 3 is awful. My son used this. FUI razors are cheap. The Muehle or Merkur are around 60 bucks. Creams are 10 dollars for the better Italian Cella and Proroso. Last 6 months. Blades are 1-2 dollars last a couple weeks if not a month.
    FUI I use a couple badger brushes. I have a Rooney Silver tip and their best. I also have a Simpson silver tip and their best. The silvertip is a beauty. I seem to go to the best for my everyday shave. These are British. I recommend you looking at many others. Vulkfix a big British place, makes for all over. To include Casswell Massey. Is a great inexpensive brush. In the US, Parker a lot use. There are many to choose from. Go to this wet shaving forum. It will be a great help.
    The other day my daughters boyfriend asked me why I do this, he uses an electric. First thing I said is I love to shave. And in talking, it takes me less time to shave than with the electric. It is not about the cost!I am up early, it is my first thing I do after my coffee. Wet shaving is a joy to do. And not that big a deal.
    Creams, there are so many. I use a couple British. They have shea butter and glycerine in them. I use rose and lavender. Classic british mens scent.
    There are many out there, make sure they have these things in them. For inexpensive there is Cella, and Proroso Italian creams am told very good. At that shaving forum they discuss each type of cream FUI.
    Again, a great deal of information there for a wet shaver.

Nice day
    Jimmy

Just shaved Grapefruit

I just shaved with my greatest summer scent. Google Taylor of Bond street Grapefruit shaving cream! You get more hits than custom bamboo fly rod makers.
    This stuff is such a joy. I smile and laugh when I use this stuff. A new classic to shaving! Just out 2 years now.
    Try it BTW

Have nice day my friends
    Jimmy

My friends I see an issue with minor nicks. The angle of your technique is just off. Go to BLADE AND BADGER there are videos to help you all with razor, badger brush use. It is not that difficult at all, IMO easier and more enjoyable. The cost of the Gillette Mach 3 is awful. My son used this. FUI razors are cheap. The Muehle or Merkur are around 60 bucks. Creams are 10 dollars for the better Italian Cella and Proroso. Last 6 months. Blades are 1-2 dollars last a couple weeks if not a month.
    FUI I use a couple badger brushes. I have a Rooney Silver tip and their best. I also have a Simpson silver tip and their best. The silvertip is a beauty. I seem to go to the best for my everyday shave. These are British. I recommend you looking at many others. Vulkfix a big British place, makes for all over. To include Casswell Massey. Is a great inexpensive brush. In the US, Parker a lot use. There are many to choose from. Go to this wet shaving forum. It will be a great help.
    The other day my daughters boyfriend asked me why I do this, he uses an electric. First thing I said is I love to shave. And in talking, it takes me less time to shave than with the electric. It is not about the cost!I am up early, it is my first thing I do after my coffee. Wet shaving is a joy to do. And not that big a deal.
    Creams, there are so many. I use a couple British. They have shea butter and glycerine in them. I use rose and lavender. Classic british mens scent.
    There are many out there, make sure they have these things in them. For inexpensive there is Cella, and Proroso Italian creams am told very good. At that shaving forum they discuss each type of cream FUI.
    Again, a great deal of information there for a wet shaver.

Nice day
    Jimmy
    Thanks Jimmy. I agree, I need practice so I'm not giving up. Have spent a lot of time researching products and videos so I know what to do, I just have to figure it out on my face.
    Rich