Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Evolution of Shaving

Anyone out there "wet shave" with a double edged safety razor?

I've spent most of my shaving lifetime pursuing the latest from Gillette.
    I have to admit I like the shave from the Fusion, but the cost is beyond unreasonable.

I've been using a badger brush, and shaving soap from Every Man Jack.

I'm currently using Dollar Shave Club razors. They are just ok.
    I'm debating Harry's as an alternative, but also getting curious about double edged safety razor shaves.
    I'm not bold enough to try a straight razor (now that is scary!).

There's a ton of info on various websites, just curious if the DBR community had experience/opinions to share.

Thanks!

I'm doing five blades.

Yup.

My story's pretty much the same as yours and a million other guys who've made the switch. I'd always had to shave in the shower for the steam, to avoid rashes/nicks, so the lubricant strip on whatever Gilette or other brand I was using would be gone in two days and by Day 5 I was gingerly scraping the thing around my face, yanking on the hair and dissatisfied with the crummy shave I was getting because of it, and cursing the fact that it was basically costing me like a buck a day in blades. So, I went and got myself a good badger brush and some shave soap as a first step, and started wet shaving. Even with the same razor equipment, I could easily go two or three weeks, and sometimes a whole month, on one disposable Mach III blade, and in fact the shave was better after the lubricant strip wore off. And the results were ASTOUNDING. At 6:00 or 7:00 at night sometimes I can still feel my face and think "Wow, that feels like I shaved maybe three hours ago." Shaving became a cherished ritual to start my day, instead of a horrible chore fraught with physical danger. The extra five minutes allocated to shaving is easily made up for by the closeness of the shave and the pleasure of a nice scented lather instead of the crap from a can, and while I enjoy the time to think while shaving, I can also now spend that time talking with my wife or kids, instead of isolated in the shower and hogging the hot water. I do still shave in the shower the old way once a week or so, when I'm in a hurry, but it leaves me depressed and upset that I didn't get my rear out of bed a couple minutes earlier.

Eventually, I decided to take the plunge on a Merkur and try the safety razor. It, too, is an improvement, although not as much as the quantum leap I took by just using a brush, good shave soap, and a watery, hot blade. I'm sure the results differ for everyone, though. The learning curve wasn't as steep as I thought it would be. The main difference for me was just not to apply any downward pressure when going against the grain.

I haven't tried other brands, so don't know to recommend them. Among soaps, I love Taylor's of Old Bond Street, especially the Mr. Taylor's and the lavender. They both are reminiscent of something, and smell vaguely "old" but in a classic, this is what my grandfather's medicine cabinet must have smelled like when he was a young man in the Mad Men era old, not mothball, stale old. YMMV.

I wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Mal View Post
    My story's pretty much the same as yours and a million other guys who've made the switch. I'd always had to shave in the shower for the steam, to avoid rashes/nicks, so the lubricant strip on whatever Gilette or other brand I was using would be gone in two days and by Day 5 I was gingerly scraping the thing around my face, yanking on the hair and dissatisfied with the crummy shave I was getting because of it, and cursing the fact that it was basically costing me like a buck a day in blades. So, I went and got myself a good badger brush and some shave soap as a first step, and started wet shaving. Even with the same razor equipment, I could easily go two or three weeks, and sometimes a whole month, on one disposable Mach III blade, and in fact the shave was better after the lubricant strip wore off. And the results were ASTOUNDING. At 6:00 or 7:00 at night sometimes I can still feel my face and think "Wow, that feels like I shaved maybe three hours ago." Shaving became a cherished ritual to start my day, instead of a horrible chore fraught with physical danger. The extra five minutes allocated to shaving is easily made up for by the closeness of the shave and the pleasure of a nice scented lather instead of the crap from a can, and while I enjoy the time to think while shaving, I can also now spend that time talking with my wife or kids, instead of isolated in the shower and hogging the hot water. I do still shave in the shower the old way once a week or so, when I'm in a hurry, but it leaves me depressed and upset that I didn't get my rear out of bed a couple minutes earlier.

Eventually, I decided to take the plunge on a Merkur and try the safety razor. It, too, is an improvement, although not as much as the quantum leap I took by just using a brush, good shave soap, and a watery, hot blade. I'm sure the results differ for everyone, though. The learning curve wasn't as steep as I thought it would be. The main difference for me was just not to apply any downward pressure when going against the grain.

I haven't tried other brands, so don't know to recommend them. Among soaps, I love Taylor's of Old Bond Street, especially the Mr. Taylor's and the lavender. They both are reminiscent of something, and smell vaguely "old" but in a classic, this is what my grandfather's medicine cabinet must have smelled like when he was a young man in the Mad Men era old, not mothball, stale old. YMMV.
    Thanks Mal!
    Have you experimented with different blade types and do you like the Merkur?

My face is so dry, it flakes. Since soaps aggravate the drying, I was forced to an electric. Am currently using a Norelco. Works fine and takes less than 2 minutes. I rinse the residue under the faucet.

Seriously?
    ~rthomas

I just stepped up to the top of the line of dollar shave club.i am also in the search for a better shave.ill be trying the wet shave .im not brave enough to try safety razors yet.
    I even tried a epilator .do not make that mistake .that thing locked on my face like a angry badger.
    Last edited by wavedukefan70s; 03-25-2014 at 10:34 PM.

I just got a Braun Series 7 a week ago. Best shave I've had from an electric. My past experiences with blades have always lead to ingrown hairs, so I've been electric the last 20.

I've been shaving with a brush and soap for years, but using a cartridge razor. I'm seriously considering picking up a doubled edged safety razor. For the same reason I grind my coffee by hand for my french press, and iron my own shirts: sometimes the slightly more time consuming rituals are more rewarding. Also because I'm flabergasted with how expensive my cartridge replacements are.

I started using shaving mug soap as a teenager (old school from an early age) when the edge gel blob kept slipping off my wet hand into the sink.

Went that way for many years with 2-bladed Atra type razors, but eventually gave up the mug soap (Williams; all I could find) because my skin would get irritated. It wasn't enough. Went to Barbasol and pretty much just use that, after a shower to soften up the whiskers of course. Also went to disposable twin blade razors because they were equally effective and far less expensive.

I waited until this month to try my first >2 blade razor, some Gillete 3 blade thing. At first, I felt like, wow, I can actually understand why people pay more for 3 blades, that it's not just marketing hype (which I was convinced it was, for years). But after a couple shaves, the 3-blade advantage seemed to disappear ... and its shortcomings (like getting right under the nose) became more apparent. The twin blade disposable I use has a really thin head, so you can really be precise with it there.

Never used a double-edged safety razor to shave with. I remember them from my dad's kit back in the day. Now, you'd be going back to a single blade, right? I once tried some Bic shavers that were single blade and they were far, far worse (for me) than twin bladed disposables. So I am not sure what the appeal of a single blade (even if double-sided) would be, other than the added element of danger when changing blades!

where does one find these other soaps? I would not mind trying a brush again, but I do like my Barbasol. Hard to imagine it could be matched, except maybe by one of those hot foam machines you see at some barbershops.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    I'm debating Harry's as an alternative, but also getting curious about double edged safety razor shaves.
    Nothing to really add to this thread (I only have to shave twice a week, and could never think of growing any type of facial hair) except that, in case you don't know, one of the founders of Harry's is a Duke alum. Andy Katz-Mayfield graduated from Trinity in 2004 and co-founded the company with a buddy of his.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Thanks Mal!
    Have you experimented with different blade types and do you like the Merkur?
    I have not been particularly adventurous, and it's only been 3 or 4 months since I switched from disposables. The Classic razor's been fine, and it's cheaper than the heavy duty ones they make. There's no reason not to experiment with different blades, I guess, since they're cheap, but the basic Merkur platinums, which I had been told were more forgiving (duller, I guess) than some, worked alright for me so I've stuck with them. I hear the Feather brand is the cat's meow, but I'd have to order them in time for them to arrive before I run out of the others, in case they're not good for me, but I don't typically show that kind of foresight, waiting until the last minute instead.

cspan37421 - Amazon's got tons of products, if you don't have a Trueffit & Hill or whatever other manscaping store near you.

Wow, you guys are making me feel like a caveman! I have the five-o'clock shadow thing, so I usually shave each day.

I've used the Gillette Good News razor since they started making them. If available, I use the original, but most of the time I can only find them with the lube strip. I wet my face, put a dab of Walgreen's baby lotion in a few areas, and rub it around, then shave. I finally get around to changing to a new one when the strip is gone or I finally cut myself, usually well over a month. Since I've gone with a beard for a few years, I only touch up these days and do my neck and ears (yes, getting older is a real pain).
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I wax.
    Your ears and nose, too?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Wet face, apply Barbasol shave cream, apply Gillette fusion 4 blades razor up, down and sideways many times, wipe off excess shave cream, apply Obsession after shave. I'm cheap. Each of my $4-4.50 cartridges last about a month shaving 6 days/week and I have very few razor burns or in-grown hairs so I'm a satisfied fellow.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

I use shaving soap and shave in the shower, but haven't made the move to a safety razor. I've tried one, but haven't been able to get a particularly close shave with it so far. Lots of people recommend going that route though, so I'd like to get better at it.
    Demented and sad, but social, right?

When in the Navy (obviously when I was much younger), I constantly got nailed for shaves during inspections. My superiors had me try everything to keep the division from getting bad marks: Different razors, shaving cream, having shipmates shave me . . . followed by dry shaves (to the point that my face was sometimes raw and bleeding). Nothing worked, so he started making sure I was on Guard Duty elsewhere during inspections.

I have finally discovered the way for my "five minute" shadow to not be so obvious: Get old!!! Grey whiskers don't show up as bad as dark whiskers.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Your ears and nose, too?
    No, letting those grow (eyebrows, too). Going for the full Hobbit look.

You fellows are adorable!

And don't tell me you weren't waiting for a lady to recognize the efforts you expend to be more attractive to US, the fairer sex!

Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'