Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I've been shaving daily with DE razors and making lather from a shave soap/brush for about 8 years now. It works for me.

If, however, you want to simplify your shave without learning how to use a safety razor, buy a Gillette Guard from west coast shaving. Replacement cartridges are 50 cents each. It's a single blade but with a pivoting head. Very simple design. Maybe the best razor Gillette has made since the 1960s.

You can thank me later.
    Hmmm. This may represent an alternative to Fusion while traveling. Thanks for the tip!

I shave my head, so yeah, I'm finicky.

Fusion Proglide. Shower head does a much better job than sink of cleaning between blades.

The Art of Shaving shave cream. Add pre-shave oil if I let it go for a few days.

I actually prefer L'Occitane shave cream, but the metal tube and large size aren't TSA-compliant.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Rich, I have some early indicators that, like in other areas of life, shaving may honour the maxim, "it's not the weapon, it's the warrior".

I tried a feather within the first month or two of re-learning to shave with a safety razor. My results were not dissimilar to the picture you included. I did a good job of finding ways to cut myself.

Two years later and three shaves into a feather blade, it appears I have learned some things.
    Am I being careful? Absolutely.
    Have I gotten nicked? So far, so good.

Not a fearsome shave yet, a good experience so far.
    My experience with Feathers isn't that different than Rich's. Right now I'm trying to finish off a pack of Astras, and am looking forward to switching back to Merkur platinums.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    My experience with Feathers isn't that different than Rich's. Right now I'm trying to finish off a pack of Astras, and am looking forward to switching back to Merkur platinums.
    I spent about the first 8 weeks playing with different blades before buying a 100 pack of BICs.

Two years later, I've bought the 100 pack of Feathers. I'm only one blade in, so my opinion may change as I use them more. Fingers crossed, so far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Polsilver SI are my favorite blades. Sharp like a Feather but smooth like an Astra. Last a long time (8-12 shaves each). Can't go wrong.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Blade Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Interesting thread. I shave with a the Gillette "Fusion ProGlide Power Razor with FlexBall Technology". Blades are pretty expensive but they last a really long time. The FlexBall actually works and the Power part just vibrates but it works as well. Basically when it's powered to vibrate it hurts less. I use shave gel, usually Edge in either the sensitive skin or moisturizing variety. I don't like aftershave or anything that has a scent. My nose works way too well (blessing and a curse) and if I'm wearing something with a scent, it's all I smell all day. After a while that gets old.
    Very similar to me. I also have something called "blade buddy" that keeps the blades sharp. I bought the ProGlide a little over a year ago from Costco and it came with 6 blades - cost $25 on special. Got a blade buddy for about $12. I still have one blade to go.

Best shave I have ever had and no nicks.

SoCal

Polsilver SI are my favorite blades. Sharp like a Feather but smooth like an Astra. Last a long time (8-12 shaves each). Can't go wrong.
    Filing this away for 2 years from now

Filing this away for 2 years from now
    After trying various blades when I started DE SR shaving, I'm on my second pack of 100 7 O'clock SharpEdge "Yellows" and find them to work just fine for me. Before I bought my second 100 I tried the Feathers again, but just couldn't get used to it. They work great when used right, obviously, but I was so tentative and I was penalized for every minor transgression. I'd consider trying the Polsilver SI even though they're 50% more than the Yellows.

rsvman, do you have any other blade, cream or aftershave recommendations? I've generally found Truefitt & Hill creams to be my favorite and have about 6 different flavors which I alternate.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

I like Permasharp Supers. Treet classics are great but they only last two or three shaves. Wilkinson swords are ok. Gillette silvers are pretty good. All I use is Polsilver SIs now, though.

I don't use creams at all. Shave soaps exclusively. When I used creams, I liked the T&H and Trumpers. Also,I Coloniali makes a nice cream. And eShave. But I much prefer soaps.

If you are not using Mike's Natural Soaps, you are missing out.
    http://mikesnaturalsoaps.com/

Lime, Orange Black Pepper are great scents.
    Just ordered Vetiver, have not used it yet.

I have two of them right now.

Wait, I thought you liked Raleigh Brewing Company soaps...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Wait, I thought you liked Raleigh Brewing Company soaps...

Try to stay with me, devildeac

Mike's Natural for shaving, Raleigh Soapery for shower....

Mike's Natural for shaving, Raleigh Soapery for shower...
    Ahh...

. . . Raleigh Brewing for suds . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    . . . Raleigh Brewing for suds . . . .
    Hell Yes, Ma'am.

(you might need to research that one)

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Hell Yes, Ma'am.

(you might need to research that one)

Next time I'm in the area, I'll grab me some Belgium.

Yes but if one shaves in the shower.... :-)

I'm also a huge fan of Dr. Jon's soaps. These are not tallow soaps, but make a lovely thick lather and they smell great. Especially Hydra (if you like citrus scents) and Savannah Sunrise (mostly floral but with a hint of peach).

There are lots of other great soaps out there. Time won't permit naming them all. Cold River Soap Works new formula is outstanding, but pricey. Stirling soap company shaving soaps are great bang-for-the-buck soaps.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust