Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

NCAAT R64: Mercer 78, Duke 71

Discuss the game here. We are all disappointed, but a lot of the season foreshadowed this kind of performance. Congratulations to Mercer; they were the better team today.

The no-venting rule (nonconstructive criticism of the players or coaches) still applies. Not every thought needs to be registered on the Internet for all posterity.
    Last edited by hurleyfor3; 03-21-2014 at 03:16 PM.

post game press conference

glad to see Quinn out there with Tyler. he was a warrior today, and I wonder if having him come out was recognition that he's going to be an important leader next year.

also interesting to hear coach k say that he doesn't yet know who is on the team next year. at the same time he seemed to say that he was sad that it ended this way for jabari and hood.

Quote Originally Posted by brlftz View Post
    glad to see Quinn out there with Tyler. he was a warrior today, and I wonder if having him come out was recognition that he's going to be an important leader next year.

also interesting to hear coach k say that he doesn't yet know who is on the team next year. at the same time he seemed to say that he was sad that it ended this way for jabari and hood.
    Guards played great- something to build on for next year. It will be their team.

Note to posters: Though tempting to vent and be negative, as we are all very disappointed, PLEASE try to be positive, if possible, here.

We had the same experience today as several other losses this season -- AZ, ND, Clemson, NC, Wake - played young/scared down the stretch and gave away a late lead. We were up by 5 with 4:30 to go, then... Give Mercer credit that their Senior-laden team played clearly more composed than Duke in the final 4 minutes.

It will be a long 6 months until next season!

Good effort guys!

Congratulations to Mercer. They deserved the victory and they earned it.

Disappoining finish to the season, but it happens. Best of luck to those moving on, and time for those returning to reflect and grow.

It's been that kind of season.

I thought our guys played hard all year. My disappointment lies in that we lost every game the same way. For some reason, we were unable to adjust or try new things.

Our effort was there, no shame in that.

I've been looking for the post game press conferences and can't find them. Does anyone have a link?

Also, Coach K went to Mercer's locker room and congratulated them after the game. Even in defeat he exudes class. Glad he represents Duke University.

"We had the same experience today as several other losses this season -- AZ, ND, Clemson, NC, Wake - played young/scared down the stretch and gave away a late lead. We were up by 5 with 4:30 to go, then... Give Mercer credit that their Senior-laden team played clearly more composed than Duke in the final 4 minutes.

It will be a long 6 months until next season! "

says it all for me.

On my iPhone so this will be short. 3 thoughts:

Cohesion as a unit

Lack of ability to penetrate

Size

More later. For now I just want to thank our guys! Best to all, especially the seniors.

Every season is enjoyable but some are more enjoyable than others - I probably would feel worse if I would not have been given a reality check with the early Kansas and Arizona games as to the likely ceiling for this team

Will be interested to hear why K was doing switches and keeping Jabari on the bench when Mercer had the ball even after the 5 minute mark when he still had only 3 fouls

Next year Sully and Cook are the leaders assuming both return

Quote Originally Posted by luburch View Post
    I've been looking for the post game press conference and can't find them. Does anyone have a link?

Also, Coach K went to Mercer's locker room and congratulated them after the game. Even in defeat he exudes class. Glad he represents Duke University.
    k basically cited the age difference, that inside we were up against men who were stronger. he also acknowledged that we weren't good enough to win when both jabari and hood didn't have good games. he summarized the season by saying that it was an unusual team, without size, and that while we were good enough to beat anyone, we weren't good enough that we couldn't be beaten by just about anyone either. followed that up by saying that mercer is not just "anyone", but is an experienced, championship team. very classy as always.

The most disappointing season (personally) since our slide in 194-95 when we lost all of those heartbreakingly close games and finished with a losing record. When we lost to Indiana in the Sweet 16, I was crushed, but, like this year, I could see it coming. There was just something missing. Not sure what it was...but just that certain intangible that was missing. At least with the Jason Williams loss we had just recently won a championship.

This one hurts because, really, you could see it coming. Even when we went up by 5, there was a collective sense of "yeah, but how have we done down the stretch in big games" kind of feeling.

Anyway, disappointed, and sad for my son (who this matters to much more than it does for me - he's 10 and loves Duke basketball). I certainly didn't think Duke would win the championship this year, but it would have been nice to at least make it to Louisville or Wichita State. And now these losses hurt more, because the team will be completely different next year. No Parker. No Hood. Three more one and dones taking their place.

Sigh....

Disappointing, not shocking. There was nothing that happened today that we haven't seen before. Seems like it was a particularly taxing season for K in many ways.

I hope he recharges fully in the offseason and returns ready to mold a championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    The most disappointing season (personally) since our slide in 194-95 when we lost all of those heartbreakingly close games and finished with a losing record. When we lost to Indiana in the Sweet 16, I was crushed, but, like this year, I could see it coming. There was just something missing. Not sure what it was...but just that certain intangible that was missing. At least with the Jason Williams loss we had just recently won a championship.

This one hurts because, really, you could see it coming. Even when we went up by 5, there was a collective sense of "yeah, but how have we done down the stretch in big games" kind of feeling.

Anyway, disappointed, and sad for my son (who this matters to much more than it does for me - he's 10 and loves Duke basketball). I certainly didn't think Duke would win the championship this year, but it would have been nice to at least make it to Louisville or Wichita State. And now these losses hurt more, because the team will be completely different next year. No Parker. No Hood. Three more one and dones taking their place.

Sigh....
    If it makes you feel better, I'd be very surprised if either Tyus or Justise is a one and done.

alteran is offline All-American, Honorable Mention
    On paper this season wasn't so bad, but the reality was just so much short of the potential. Painful day.

Great games from two guys we'll have back next year. And who knows, maybe Rodney will want to stick around as well.

Thanks to the team and especially the seniors. Stay angry, fellas, and use it next year.

Statistically, it's hard to distinguish this season from 2008 or 2012. With similar results in the NCAAT. Switch the outcome of the unc games; that's about it.

This game will bring up all the same questions that have been brought up many times during the season. Why was Thorton given more time than Cook? Why did Plumlee not play more when we clearly need more size inside? Why do we shoot so many three's (which I think is funny since that was the only thing working for us today)? Where is the defensive communication? Can this team succeed with this much youth?

They are valid questions. Absolutely.

I, for one, am glad to have Duke get eliminated by a team that flat out played better. It has not happened since Clemson that Duke lost a game that they would not have won if the officiating weren't so horribly lopsided against them.

I do wish the committee would do a better job seeding. Lehigh was no 15 seed. Mercer was no 14 seed. If Duke earned a 3, I wish we were really playing one of the 12 worst teams in the field...like American or Nebraska or BYU. Or North Carolina.

It was a nice season. We won a lot. Had some good moments. Saw some good promise. I hope we see Okafor next year as a great starting center - and Tyus as a great 6th man (can't start ahead of Jabari, Rodney, Cook, and Sheed).

I love Duke basketball.

Thanks to all the coaches and players and managers and academic assistants and staff, and all their families. You entertain and inspire all year round, and in wins and losses, you represent our tie that binds better than I could ever hope. Thanks, too, to DBR for giving us a place to chat about it all year round, as well.

Thoughts and prayers continue to be with Coach K and his family regarding the loss of his dear brother.

May this team's players--and returning ones--come back with a vengeance in a few months too far from now.

Best to all of you in the DBR community. I'm grateful to be part of this family.

Quote Originally Posted by Udaman View Post
    Anyway, disappointed, and sad for my son (who this matters to much more than it does for me - he's 10 and loves Duke basketball). Sigh....
    my nearly 10 yo son was devastated when they had the missed dunk that went in, with the and one. i sadly yelled 'ballgame' and he stomped off. didn't come back out til well after the game was officially over.
    Last edited by brlftz; 03-21-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: bizarre typo

I think we are all treading lightly on what was really to blame for the poor play since the Carolina game. Obviously it was having Tony Romo and Jason Garrett around the team. No other explanation. (I am joking Cowboy fans)

I look forward to seeing Tyler as an assistant soon, good luck to Josh, Andre and Todd in your endeavors. Rodney and Jabari when you guys had it going it was a thing of beauty. Good luck to both of you in the league where we all know you will represent Duke very well.
    Last edited by NashvilleDevil; 03-21-2014 at 03:53 PM. Reason: To make sure that everyone knows I am not serious when blaming Romo and Garrett