Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Watching the ACC Tournament

This may be a North Carolina thing, but when I was in school, the teachers would always turn on the ACC tournament in class. Most of the time we didn't do anything but watch the game. At worst, maybe the teacher gave you an easy worksheet to do while watching the game. I went to school in the mountains of North Carolina.

I was just wondering if anyone else had the same experience?

Now I live in DC, but I watch the games by streaming them on my laptop at work. I really don't care when my boss sees me watching, it's what you do this time of year. At least, that's what I learned in school.

Also, it's my first time posting here, so yeah for me.

Oh yeah, you could count on that most years. Most of my classrooms didn't normally have a TV either - they would bring one in for the occasion.

Even as the ACCT's star has faded over the years, I've found people avoid scheduling anything on that Friday. There's an urban legend that some of the State's judicial agencies go out of their way to schedule a ton of cases on that Friday, so that the parties will resolve them and clear their docket.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunphy View Post
    This may be a North Carolina thing, but when I was in school, the teachers would always turn on the ACC tournament in class. Most of the time we didn't do anything but watch the game. At worst, maybe the teacher gave you an easy worksheet to do while watching the game. I went to school in the mountains of North Carolina.

Now I live in DC, but I watch the games by streaming them on my laptop at work. I really don't care when my boss sees me watching, it's what you do this time of year. At least, that's what I learned in school.

Welcome to your post. Also, it was the same thing in Charlotte in the 80's. Never occurred to me that it wasn't that way all over the US. Doesn't everyone stop everything for the ACC Tournament?

I think we have this thread every year too

Anyway, I was in high school in NC only for my senior year. Someone brought a teevee into the senior lounge and we watched the games.

For awhile in Chicago I worked in a small office (1-6 other people). People learned to leave me alone on that Friday afternoon, if I wasn't in fact at the tournament.

haha, I think the country should pause, but I was thinking it was an ACC thing, but more specifically North Carolina given the excitement for ACC basketball all over the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Dunphy View Post

Kindergarten through 12th grade, could always count on watching the tourney in school.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

Anyway, I was in high school in NC only for my senior year. Someone brought a teevee into the senior lounge and we watched the games.

For awhile in Chicago I worked in a small office (1-6 other people). People learned to leave me alone on that Friday afternoon, if I wasn't in fact at the tournament.
    haha, we might. I won't post this again next year haha. Yeah, if the teacher didn't have a TV, they would wheel one in. I don't mind people bothering me. They just have to understand if they need anything, it won't be done quickly.

I grew up in the mountains, too, but it was the Rocky Mountains.

So, um, nope. No ACC tournament there. At the time all the teams I cared about were in the Western Athletic Conference, and they never allowed us to watch any of that, either.

Now I work in a hospital in Norfolk, VA, and we have established a tradition. On Friday we walk down the street to a little bar/restaurant that has a tv and we watch the noon game and eat big, greasy burgers and fries. We've been doing it every year for about a decade now.

Looking forward to it again in a couple of days.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post

Y'all were fortunate to grow up in NC. In 1969 I was living in Des Moines, and Drake (!) made it to the Final Four, It was all we elementary school guys wanted to talk about. It got so bad that the teacher banned any discussion of basketball during class, a rule that was honored mostly in the breach. We were crushed when Drake lost to eventual winner UCLA in a close semi game, and the blowout of North Carolina in the consolation game wasn't much of a consolation. That latter one is a sweet memory now though.

Quote Originally Posted by noworries View Post
    Kindergarten through 12th grade, could always count on watching the tourney in school.
    Agreed. If the classroom didn't have a TV in it and the teacher couldn't get the A/V tv, then the teacher brought a small one from home, put the rabbit ears on it and put it on top of a file cabinet... this was southeastern NC :-)
    Duke '96
    Cary, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Y'all were fortunate to grow up in NC. In 1969 I was living in Des Moines, and Drake (!) made it to the Final Four, It was all we elementary school guys wanted to talk about. It got so bad that the teacher banned any discussion of basketball during class, a rule that was honored mostly in the breach. We were crushed when Drake lost to eventual winner UCLA in a close semi game, and the blowout of North Carolina in the consolation game wasn't much of a consolation. That latter one is a sweet memory now though.

Banning basketball talk!! What a fascist.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I grew up in the mountains, too, but it was the Rocky Mountains.

So, um, nope. No ACC tournament there. At the time all the teams I cared about were in the Western Athletic Conference, and they never allowed us to watch any of that, either.

Now I work in a hospital in Norfolk, VA, and we have established a tradition. On Friday we walk down the street to a little bar/restaurant that has a tv and we watch the noon game and eat big, greasy burgers and fries. We've been doing it every year for about a decade now.

Looking forward to it again in a couple of days.

I like that tradition!

When I was in High School, several of the teachers brought Televisions into the classroom. Over the intercom system, the radio feed was broadcasting the basketball games for the ACC tourney.

Several students were Absent on that Friday of the games, or checked out by 12 noon, and either went with their parents to the ACC tourney in Greensboro, or home to watch the games!!! We didn't have 15 teams and 5 days for the Tournament then, only 3 days.

The ACC league has come along way and is bigger, stronger and more competitive!

Let the games begin!

Quote Originally Posted by DevilWearsPrada View Post
    When I was in High School, several of the teachers brought Televisions into the classroom. Over the intercom system, the radio feed was broadcasting the basketball games for the ACC tourney.

Several students were Absent on that Friday of the games, or checked out by 12 noon, and either went with their parents to the ACC tourney in Greensboro, or home to watch the games!!! We didn't have 15 teams and 5 days for the Tournament then, only 3 days.

The ACC league has come along way and is bigger, stronger and more competitive!

Let the games begin!
    True. I miss the 9 teams. I went to the tournament in '04, the 50th anniversary and the last year before VT and Miami joined in '05

Yeah, it's a different ACC today. I just now realized that the first game is already underway (Wake vs ND)... and I don't even really care.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Yeah, it's a different ACC today. I just now realized that the first game is already underway (Wake vs ND)... and I don't even really care.
    Yeah, I thought I didn't even really care either.

Until I realized I was refreshing the ESPN scores page every 5 minutes.

Under 4 timeout, Wake 33 - 20 ND. Wake is over 57% shooting including 3 of 5 from three.

Figured this is as good a thread as any to track the games.

- Chillin

The fact that we lost to both of these teams makes me throw up in my mouth a little.

Ditto SC

In upstate SC we watched the ACC tournament in school. Not every teacher would participate but there was always a few. I'm not sure why since Clemson was never a factor and SC had been out for 10-years but it was still a pretty big deal.

When I was in high school, television hadn't been invented yet. Not even sure about electricity. We did have running water, but not in the outhouses.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    When I was in high school, television hadn't been invented yet. Not even sure about electricity. We did have running water, but not in the outhouses.
    I went to school with Jimmy Naismith, and we sold him fruit from our farm. One season, I dropped off two baskets of peaches and never got the baskets back.

So I took his lunch money. Fair trade, I guess.