Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Panthers Off-Season

If the Panthers get rid of Steve Smith this off-season, who will join me and go harass Dave Gettleman, Paris Mob Style?
    Whatever the hell "it" is, Jabari found it.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Dukehky View Post
    If the Panthers get rid of Steve Smith this off-season, who will join me and go harass Dave Gettleman, Paris Mob Style?
    I'm in :-)

The only thing that could possibly make that a good decision is if the Panthers make a deal for Calvin Johnson, or trade up to get Sammy Watkins.
    I don't see the Panthers doing either.

Lots of gaps the Panthers need to fill, and players to keep. I'm expecting a step back next season unless Gettleman works some magic.

I cannot get my head around the rationale for releasing Smitty. Clearly he is past his prime but he remains a very useful receiver, especially on 3rd down, amidst a receiving corp that is otherwise not particularly good. Why exactly do we want rid of this guy, and why are we making such a public spectacle of wanting him gone?

Productive day so far...lost special teams/LB Senn to Chicago and Mike Mitchell (who we needed to keep) to Pittsburgh.

Worst rumour of the day? Smith getting cut and ending up on the Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    Productive day so far...lost special teams/LB Senn to Chicago and Mike Mitchell (who we needed to keep) to Pittsburgh. ...
    As a Steeler fan, is this a good move for the Steelers? A concern is that Mitchell's success is a product of a great Panther pass rush.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    I'm in :-)

The only thing that could possibly make that a good decision is if the Panthers make a deal for Calvin Johnson, or trade up to get Sammy Watkins.
    I don't see the Panthers doing either.

Lots of gaps the Panthers need to fill, and players to keep. I'm expecting a step back next season unless Gettleman works some magic.
    Me too. Stupid move.

i'm in……all we need to complete our jedi failure is to see smitty in a patriots' uni
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Okay guys. It looks like it's over. Smitty and his agent have both said he will not play for the Carolina Panthers again. Evidently this isn't money or performance based, they just want a change of leadership in the locker-room. This is Ron Rivera and Dave Gettleman playing the one year of credit that they've earned with me... Better make it count.

Love you Smitty, 89 is going up in B o A the second you retire.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Okay guys. It looks like it's over. Smitty and his agent have both said he will not play for the Carolina Panthers again. Evidently this isn't money or performance based, they just want a change of leadership in the locker-room. This is Ron Rivera and Dave Gettleman playing the one year of credit that they've earned with me... Better make it count.

Love you Smitty, 89 is going up in B o A the second you retire.
    worse mistake since ...umm....since...forever...
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Love Smitty and the way he has handled this situation. I understand the why but I don't like it. Cutting Smith will save a good bit of money but I only think it's a good move if we use that money for someone productive rather than 3 backup oline guys. To me losing Mitchell is a bigger blow
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    As a Steeler fan, is this a good move for the Steelers? A concern is that Mitchell's success is a product of a great Panther pass rush.
    Very good move on the Steelers part. Mitchell is I'd say average in pass coverage but he is a great tackler and an amazing motivator. He is super vocal and passionate. Great get for us this past year
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

And Ted Ginn, Jr is gone.

Who is Cam going to throw to, himself? Maybe the Panthers will run the wishbone next year.

If I'm Cam, I'm not re-signing with Charlotte. What a mess.

Next- Captain Munnerlyn to Vikings. Wow, ouch. I sure hope Gettleman has some magic tricks up his sleeve.

Does anyone have the figure of how much cap room we've got right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Does anyone have the figure of how much cap room we've got right now?
    Before the mass exodus, we were -$5.5m. Probably means we're a dollar under the cap now.

Before the mass exodus, we were -$5.5m. Probably means we're a dollar under the cap now.
    And all we need is three wide receivers (or two top tier quality), 1 or more defensive backs, and a couple o-linemen to field a remotely competitive team. What's not to like?

I see what Gettleman is doing here. Gonna see what we have with Marvin McNutt, the 7th string WR. We're going to ride our over-paid, oft injured, aging, 100 million dollar backfield, with no offensive line to speak of rather than Kalil.

We'll sign somebody in the secondary to make our defense good again, which will keep all the games close.

However, this is all in an effort to make Cam's numbers and wins drop dramatically so that his asking price drops considerably, because all his passing yards will be to Olson or screens to Tolbert, probably giving him 800 yards for the season. We won't be able to score except with our $4million dollar a year kicker that we just signed. So it makes him seem like he's worth the money. Oh we also resigned Derek Anderson, who is way more essential to the make-up of the team than Steve Smith. Because "this is my job, it's not funny, what's funny!???"

Gettleman, you sly dog, I see what you're doing. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to slip one past the old HKY. This had seriously better work out. We have no offensive weapons right now. Maybe Gettleman wants AJ McCarron or Kirk Cousins so he's going to run force the coaches to run Cam like Jordan Lynch for NIU.

I had faith in the new GM, who is still cleaning up Hurney's mess, but he's is losing his cache right now. Even if cutting Smith was defendable financially, he handled it terribly, and Smith doesn't deserve that.

Ice up son.

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

I see what Gettleman is doing here. Gonna see what we have with Marvin McNutt, the 7th string WR. We're going to ride our over-paid, oft injured, aging, 100 million dollar backfield, with no offensive line to speak of rather than Kalil.

We'll sign somebody in the secondary to make our defense good again, which will keep all the games close.

However, this is all in an effort to make Cam's numbers and wins drop dramatically so that his asking price drops considerably, because all his passing yards will be to Olson or screens to Tolbert, probably giving him 800 yards for the season. We won't be able to score except with our $4million dollar a year kicker that we just signed. So it makes him seem like he's worth the money. Oh we also resigned Derek Anderson, who is way more essential to the make-up of the team than Steve Smith. Because "this is my job, it's not funny, what's funny!???"

Gettleman, you sly dog, I see what you're doing. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to slip one past the old HKY. This had seriously better work out. We have no offensive weapons right now. Maybe Gettleman wants AJ McCarron or Kirk Cousins so he's going to run force the coaches to run Cam like Jordan Lynch for NIU.

I had faith in the new GM, who is still cleaning up Hurney's mess, but he's is losing his cache right now. Even if cutting Smith was defendable financially, he handled it terribly, and Smith doesn't deserve that.

Ice up son.
    Exactly. I wouldn't have been completely upset with letting go of Smith if it was handled with a shred of the class that the best player in franchise history deserved. I'll be pulling for Smith to have a great year next year, no doubt, but even if it turns out that he's washed up and doesn't do much of anything next year I still won't be happy with this situation. Do wish he wouldn't go to the Ravens though, something just makes it hard for me to pull for them generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Exactly. I wouldn't have been completely upset with letting go of Smith if it was handled with a shred of the class that the best player in franchise history deserved. I'll be pulling for Smith to have a great year next year, no doubt, but even if it turns out that he's washed up and doesn't do much of anything next year I still won't be happy with this situation. Do wish he wouldn't go to the Ravens though, something just makes it hard for me to pull for them generally.
    Better the Ravens than the Bucs who are also interested in him apparently. He will go for 200 yards against us even though TB doesn't have a QB. Guts and Blood man, Guts and Blood (he said that in an interview, that's what would happen if he played against Carolina again).

-Roy "Ole Huck" Williams

Better the Ravens than the Bucs who are also interested in him apparently. He will go for 200 yards against us even though TB doesn't have a QB. Guts and Blood man, Guts and Blood (he said that in an interview, that's what would happen if he played against Carolina again).
    Yep, I saw that. "Put on your goggles."