Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

MBB: Coaching Carousel 2014

Not only does time of year bring tournaments and awards, it also signals the beginning of a series of coaching changes.

We can start this one off with a familiar name, as Appalachian State has apparently fired Jason Capel

Makes sense. Between the Devonte Graham NLI issue and the fact that his teams get worse every year, it was time to go...

devonte graham issue

Jason Capel's Wiki article

Jeff was bet-ter, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap

I had forgotten that Buzz Peterson did two stints at Appalachian State.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    I had forgotten that Buzz Peterson did two stints at Appalachian State.
    I wonder what he recidivism rate is there.

Another former Tarheel player gets bounced.

UNCW terminates contract of basketball coach Buzz Peterson

Throaty and OPK put a hex on him?

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Jeff was bet-ter, clap, clap, clap-clap-clap
    Well, Jeff has also been fired once from a head coaching gig. Granted, his was slightly higher profile.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

Of local interest here, Eddie Biedenbach who coached UNCA to several NCAA Tournaments (including the game against Syracuse in the first round where they got TOTALLY hosed) left last year to go be Peterson's assistant at UNCW. The move surprised a lot of folks in the area - he had built the UNC-Asheville program up quite nicely and seemed to be making a lateral move at best.

Anyways, he is now the "interim" head coach. Will be very interested to see what he ends up doing. He was buddies with Buzz, and I don't know if he will be asked to step up and I have no idea if he would take it if offered. If he moves on, I'm curious to see where he might land.

Not only does time of year bring tournaments and awards, it also signals the beginning of a series of coaching changes.

We can start this one off with a familiar name, as Appalachian State has apparently fired Jason Capel
    Possibly Ole Roy can get a promotion to the ASU job, and be closer to his childhood home. He might have to adapt to a more serious academic environment, however.

Let me make this clear: Stanford does not belong on the carousel.

I guess I shouldn't have started that "Look, Peterson is going to keep his job" thread.

My bad, Buzz.

You're surprised? I killed poor old Herbert Lom.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

And until that time, every day in every way, he was getting better and better.

This is how throaty did it (the removable throaty beard was genius):

http://youtu.be/s66VNF5-624

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Let me make this clear: Stanford does not belong on the carousel.
    Why not? They are on the good side of the bubble right now, but probably need a win in the PAC-12 tournament to guarantee a tourney bid. And Dawkins probably needs to win the first round NCAA tournament game to guarantee his job security.

They made the tournament 13 of the 14 years before Dawkins got there, and taking over a team coming off a Sweet 16, he's never gone to the tournament in his 5+ years there.

DePaul (12-20, 3-15) ousts Georgetown in the first round of the Big East tournament, throwing a dart in the Hoyas' NCAA bubble and all but ensuring that JTIII will be taking his Dad's team to the NIT for the second time in six years. A mildly big deal if it were 1948.

At what juncture is "Dad coached team" not convincing enough an argument to justify keeping Little John around as CEO of one of college basketball's most historically great programs? Since making a run to the Final Four in 2007, Georgetown has not advanced beyond the second round of the NCAA tournament (and lost in the first round of the 2009 NIT). This despite entering the NCAA field twice as a two seed and twice as a three seed. I believe that Georgetown is a top ten all-time program and worthy of more success than that. Georgetown evidently disagrees.

The similarities between Georgetown and DuKe as small, prestigious private schools with elite basketball programs with stringent academic standards might make Steve Wojciechowski an appealing candidate, should a change of power ever happen (i.e. when Big John dies).

Quote Originally Posted by Cameron View Post
    At what juncture is "Dad coached team" not convincing enough an argument to justify keeping Little John around as CEO of one of college basketball's most historically great programs?
    Funny how DePaul was once in just this spot. Their solution was to quit caring about basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by hurleyfor3 View Post
    Funny how DePaul was once in just this spot. Their solution was to quit caring about basketball.
    Thanks for the laugh. Good call. A quick glance shows it took the great Ray Meyer's son more than a dozen years and a 3-23 record to finally force DePaul to cut ties with the family and unofficially retire from competitive hoops.

For the sake of Hoya fans, hopefully Georgetown's standards are slightly higher. Some people hate the argument that it's good for the game when certain teams are good, but I am a big believer of it. I personally find college basketball even more intriguing when the historic powers are competitive.

For the sake of Hoya fans, hopefully Georgetown's standards are slightly higher. Some people hate the argument that it's good for the game when certain teams are good, but I am a big believer of it. I personally find college basketball even more intriguing when the historic powers are competitive.
    I've said this before, but when DePaul faded in prominence, it left a hole in Chicago sports that has never been filled. Chicago doesn't have a good nearby college program that it can call its own. The Big Ten schools don't count, and if Northwestern ever got good I think it would only have a fanbase similar to Duke's in NC -- that is, mostly alumni. Or put another way, if it's the middle of January and you want to see a decent local team, you're SOL.

DePaul (12-20, 3-15) ousts Georgetown in the first round of the Big East tournament, throwing a dart in the Hoyas' NCAA bubble and all but ensuring that JTIII will be taking his Dad's team to the NIT for the second time in six years. A mildly big deal if it were 1948.

At what juncture is "Dad coached team" not convincing enough an argument to justify keeping Little John around as CEO of one of college basketball's most historically great programs? Since making a run to the Final Four in 2007, Georgetown has not advanced beyond the second round of the NCAA tournament (and lost in the first round of the 2009 NIT). This despite entering the NCAA field twice as a two seed and twice as a three seed. I believe that Georgetown is a top ten all-time program and worthy of more success than that. Georgetown evidently disagrees.

The similarities between Georgetown and DuKe as small, prestigious private schools with elite basketball programs with stringent academic standards might make Steve Wojciechowski an appealing candidate, should a change of power ever happen (i.e. when Big John dies).
    Except Georgetown is a school that develops big men, remember?