WSJ Jabari article

An interesting article on Jabari in today's Wall Street Journal. Apparently he has terrible vision but he never wore corrective lenses on the court in high school. Says it forced him to use his other senses.

Not sure if it can be viewed w/out subscription, but here is the link:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...%3DITP_arena_7

Nice find! I'd heard something about that before, but didn't know the details. I was able to read the article without a subscription...

-c

Quote Originally Posted by davec View Post
    An interesting article on Jabari in today's Wall Street Journal. Apparently he has terrible vision but he never wore corrective lenses on the court in high school. Says it forced him to use his other senses.

Not sure if it can be viewed w/out subscription, but here is the link:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...%3DITP_arena_7
    Another recent story (SI?) discussed it. Apparently he even had trouble seeing the rim in high school, and one of the first things the Duke staff did was to make him star wearing contacts.

EDIT: Looks like this story does not require a subscription...and it's all covered in greater detail there.

Wait, wait, wait...

I don't understand the end!

Parker previously struggled to blink in his contact lenses, a delicate chore that frustrated him in high school, another reason why he kept them in their case, said his childhood friend Cory Dolins.

But it didn't take him long to improve here. "He's got the hang of it," said Duke freshman Matt Jones. "It's coming to him pretty easily now."

So, why is it that he can blink now? Are they seriously quoting Matt Jones as to Parker's ability to blink in his contacts? I suppose that's reasonable, given that they are probably freshman roommates. "He's got the hang of [blinking]" though? Idiom just seems a bit off. You can learn to blink better in contacts?

I also find it odd that Jabari chose to wear the thick framed, stylish glasses off the court, but without a prescription. Why not just have a prescription pair as long as you are gonna bother to have them on your face?

And now on the Front Page of ESPN.com

An article about whether Jabari will return.

After saying most observers expect him to leave, we have the money quote:

Parker insists he still hasn't made up his mind.

"If I feel like there are things I could improve on or things I left, like during the season, then I will probably come back," Parker said

"A deciding factor is where I'm going to grow the most, whether it's in the NBA or even in college, the learning experiences that I need as far as [growing as] a basketball player."
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 03-07-2014 at 05:28 PM.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    An article about whether Jabari will return.

After saying most observers expect him to leave, we have the money quote:
    A quote from Roy from that article:

"He really has no holes in his game," said North Carolina coach Roy Williams, who joked that the best way to defend him was to "hope he sprains his ankle going up the steps."

That man says some peculiar things.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    A quote from Roy from that article:

"He really has no holes in his game," said North Carolina coach Roy Williams, who joked that the best way to defend him was to "hope he sprains his ankle going up the steps."

That man says some peculiar things.
    I think roy is subtly trying to hint that Jabari's game is NBA-ready. No need to return. I must admit, well played, sir...

He plays by sense of smell...

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    He plays by sense of smell...
    Would have expected that comment from tommy...

The force is strong with this one...

Just saw this brief AP article about Jabari possibly staying in school. Not sure how much of it I believe though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Just saw this brief AP article about Jabari possibly staying in school. Not sure how much of it I believe though.
    I believe he will do what he feels is the right long-term move fornhis career, not necessarily make the money grab. A player like Jabari has a brand to consider, and another year at Duke might have more positive brand implications than a year on a terriblr lottery team.

He is a smart and mature kid who seems to stick with his convictions. I would say it is hard to predict what he will or won't do.

The kid needs another year just to get used to his new eyes. I wonder if they can do LASIK?