Thread: Doug McDermott

Doug McDermott

With two games left to go in the regular season, three possible games in the Big East Tournament, and then six games more in the NCAA Tournament, McDermott has a good shot at being one of the top five all-time scorers in NCAA Basketball history. Depending on how many games he has left, and how many points he score in his remaining games, if he is able to get into the top five, he would be around 600 points below Pete Maravich, who we all know is the all-time leading scorer.

If you where McDermott and got into the top five, which of the two scenarios would you choose?

A) Head into the NBA after your senior season was over, and make millions?
    B) Transfer to another school and play one year as a graduate student, with the possibility of becoming the NCAA all-time leading scorer, then go into the NBA and make millions?

Obviously the safe bet would be to head to the NBA, because you never know what might happen during that extra season that could put your NBA career in jeopardy.

But on the other hand, you could break a record that has stood for almost 45 years, and with the way college basketball is now with players leaving early, could almost never be broken again.

Just wondered what everyone thought was on this scenario?

P.S. Not sure about anyone else, but this eight day break is killing me. I am ready for some Duke bball tomorrow night!

Quote Originally Posted by ksimp112 View Post
    With two games left to go in the regular season, three possible games in the Big East Tournament, and then six games more in the NCAA Tournament, McDermott has a good shot at being one of the top five all-time scorers in NCAA Basketball history. Depending on how many games he has left, and how many points he score in his remaining games, if he is able to get into the top five, he would be around 600 points below Pete Maravich, who we all know is the all-time leading scorer.

If you where McDermott and got into the top five, which of the two scenarios would you choose?

B) Transfer to another school and play one year as a graduate student, with the possibility of becoming the NCAA all-time leading scorer, then go into the NBA and make millions?

Obviously the safe bet would be to head to the NBA, because you never know what might happen during that extra season that could put your NBA career in jeopardy.

But on the other hand, you could break a record that has stood for almost 45 years, and with the way college basketball is now with players leaving early, could almost never be broken again.

P.S. Not sure about anyone else, but this eight day break is killing me. I am ready for some Duke bball tomorrow night!
    He actually wouldn't be allowed to transfer to another school and play basketball -- you're only allowed four years of eligibility per sport. (http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/e...70202/14534042)

If he were graduating in three years, he could transfer and play basketball somewhere else. But because he's already played four years of basketball, he could only gain another year of NCAA eligibility if he switched to a different sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ksimp112 View Post

I am often wrong about such things, but I don't believe Doug McDermott has any eligibility remaining based on having played for 4 years at Creighton.

[wk2109 beat me to it]
    Last edited by blUDAYvil; 03-04-2014 at 02:49 PM. Reason: too slow

I'm not sure how others feel about the whole all time leading scorer debate, but my take is that ppg leader is a much better metric for historical analysis (though it is flawed too). Current bball seasons are much longer than that of yesteryear. Furthermore, wouldn't it seem a little heel-ish (like hanging a banner for a Helms National Championship, lol) to try and get a fifth year of games just so you can have the title of most points scored? Kind of like intentionally missing a layup to get a rebound for a triple double. I say go to the NBA, make your millions, live a good life, and then retire at 34 to do something bigger with your life, wife, kids, and millions.

As others have noted, the choice is not a valid option. You can only do the "grad transfer" thing if you have a year of eligibility left. That can occur in a number of ways (medical redshirt, redshirt, finish school a year early). But the key is that you can only have played three years of basketball for that to be a valid option. McDermott has played four years now. So his only option is to go pro and make millions.

The possibility of Doug McDermott transferring to another school to play a 5th year of NCAA hoops to break Maravich's record is about the same as the possibility of Pistol Pete coming back to play his 4th year of varsity hoops at LSU. RIP Pete, your record is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWayne View Post
    The possibility of Doug McDermott transferring to another school to play a 5th year of NCAA hoops to break Maravich's record is about the same as the possibility of Pistol Pete coming back to play his 4th year of varsity hoops at LSU. RIP Pete, your record is safe.
    Yes--even if McDermott could break this record this year, it wouldn't really hold a candle to Maravich. McDermott has already played 128 college games (according to sports-reference.com), or 45 more than Maravich did in his entire (3-season) career. And his current per-game average of a little over 21 points is less than half of Pistol Pete's 44.2 ppg career average. So no contest.

Even if he did have remaining eligibility, I can't see why McDermott would even think about putting off the NBA to get more points in 5 seasons than Maravich did in three.