Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.

MBB: Duke 66, Va Tech 48 Post-Game Thread

Put your post-game thoughts here.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by JBDuke View Post
    Put your post-game thoughts here.
    Not bad for the end of an energy cycle.

1:45 minute game. That seems like a record.

We have to avoid the offensive droughts - they seem to have one thing in common: an inability to penetrate the defense or create shots and/or poor shot selection.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Really good defense for most of the game. I thought Sulaimon played incredibly well defensively, he was the best player on the floor in my opinion. He dominated them.

Workmanlike performance.

Jabari in the post is nearly unstoppable.

Starting the bye week on a positive note.

Let's hope Quinn gets healthy.

GO DUKE!

What shall we all do this weekend?

Basketball 101 says attack a 2-3 zone at the free throw line. Rodney Hood earns an A+ tonight in Basketball 101. He tore VT up with the mid-range jump shot.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post

ABC!!!!

Shouldn't be hard to play good defense against an absolutely putrid offense.

I would have liked to have seen more time for our bench this game.

Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    Watch Duke football at Wallace Wade Stadium!
    Bob Green

Thank you, VT, for not extending the inevitable and fouling to stop the clock the last few minutes of the game. Good game, Rodney, Rasheed, Jabari with another double-double. Looking for the positives in a game that was decided pretty much in the first 10 minutesf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Basketball 101 says attack a 2-3 zone at the free throw line. Rodney Hood earns an A+ tonight in Basketball 101. He tore VT up with the mid-range jump shot.
    It seemed like the plan against Syracuse was for him to set the screen when the ball was on the left side of the court, and catch and drive when it was on the right side. I am not a basketball guru (though I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express), but that didn't make a lot of sense to me, for a left-handed guy to drive on the right side of the goal and never get the ball on the left.

I liked tonight's offense a lot better, with him taking the mid-range jumper and not limiting himself to setting screens.

Great game from Rasheed tonight. 15points, 5 assists and 0 turnovers. Plus great defense. Hood impressive as well. Rest and go get Wake. GoDuke!

First response in Rodney's on-court post-game interview: we did a good job moving the ball and making the extra pass.
    I suspect this was a point of focus...and was rewarded with 19 assists on the night. Tyler (7) and Rasheed (5) leading the way with Rodney (4) and Jabari (3) also getting a good amount, primarily in the beginning of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    Shouldn't be hard to play good defense against an absolutely putrid offense.

I would have liked to have seen more time for our bench this game.
    Like who? Dawkins, Plumlee and Cook all had substantial minutes. Jones, Hairston and Ojeleye aren't going to play heavy minutes in key games going forward this year, so giving them minutes now doesn't really make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Reminded me of Jack (Goose) Givens, who tore up Duke's zone from the middle in the 1978 National Championship.

Looks like Rodney is becoming more familiar and better with that role; can be very important against UNC, Syracuse, and others.

Not the sharpest performance tonight but it didn't need to be as the Hokies are just a bad basketball team and were playing short 2 of their best players.

33/60 shots were from 3. That's way to high a % especially with how easy it was to simply get the ball to Hood at the free throw line.

On a related note, I'm tired of all the zones. The "new" rules are going to ruin college basketball as its only a matter of time before 3/4 of the country plays nothing but zone the entire game it forces the tempo down to a grinding halt and scores are in the 50s.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevilBrowns View Post
    Jabari in the post is nearly unstoppable.
    Funny, I was saying to my kids how poorly Jabari did tonight down low. Seemed he got stuffed several times and didn't look to pass back out to open shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by Duvall View Post
    Like who? Dawkins, Plumlee and Cook all had substantial minutes. Jones, Hairston and Ojeleye aren't going to play heavy minutes in key games going forward this year, so giving them minutes now doesn't really make sense.
    Jones was starting not too long ago, and he's one of our best perimeter defenders. How is he not deserving of a little more run in a game that was never really in question? And the fact that Semi won't be getting into many games going forward is MORE reason to give him a chance to get some game action here.

Core played well

The starters all had good games on both sides of the ball and Marshall did well as a substitute. I agree that Rasheed had a very good game.

On the other hand, Quinn and Andre didn't do much. Is something wrong with Quinn and what is Andre's issue? Without them able to perform as well as we might expect, the team goes from being deep to not very. Maybe the time off will heal what seems to ail a couple of our players.

Matt, Josh and Semi played light minutes with Matt the most likely to get minutes going forward.