Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Raymond Felton Arrested On Weapons Charges

From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...eapons-charges

Oh those silly Tar Heels and their off the court antics . . .

Felton, who is 29, is having arguably his worst season as a pro, and after this debacle, I'm guessing his NBA career is probably over. Too bad . . . now the Knicks are even more screwed at the PG position than they were. They were actually trying to put him in a trade package just a week ago. Can you imagine if they actually got an offer for him? What a joke. UNC athletics' reputation seems to take a huge body blow just about every year now.
    Last edited by kAzE; 02-25-2014 at 03:51 AM.

While I doubt there's much integrity to be found in UNC athletic programs, Felton has been out of college for some time. I'm not sure any program should be held accountable for something their previous players (or graduates, using that term very loosely of course) do 8 years after leaving.

Then again, most programs bask in the glory of their previous players' successes, so I can see the argument that they should face the other side of the coin too. But really, Felton has been in the NBA a lot longer than he was in college. And it's not like there's a causal relationship there. As I recall, wasn't he pretty good friends with one of our Duke guys, at one time anyway? I can't remember who.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    From ESPN: http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/stor...eapons-charges

Oh those silly Tar Heels and their off the court antics . . .

Felton, who is 29, is having arguably his worst season as a pro, and after this debacle, I'm guessing his NBA career is probably over. Too bad . . . now the Knicks are even more screwed at the PG position than they were. They were actually trying to put him in a trade package just a week ago. Can you imagine if they actually got an offer for him? What a joke. UNC athletics' reputation seems to take a huge body blow just about every year now.
    This might work out for the Knicks, they may be able to void his $3.5 mil contract next year.

Ohhhhhhhh!!!!!!!! Everybody loves Raymond down in Chapel Hill Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He couldn't shoot in the NBA. What made him think a gun would help?

Or was that his idea of "playing defense"?

According to the ESPN story:

The charges don't stem from him using the firearm in a menacing manner but of possessing a gun he wasn't registered to have, according to the spokesman.
    There are no details about the circumstances of the arrest. If there was no discharge of the weapon and no menacing involved, and if he was arrested in his home for merely possessing an unregistered handgun, then Felton may be able to get the charges dismissed based on the Supreme Court's decision in the 2010 case of Otis McDonald, the retired maintenance engineer in Chicago living in neighborhood beset by gangs and drug dealers and whose home had been broken into numerous times. He won the right to possess a handgun notwithstanding the city's onerous restrictions.

We'll have to see just what the circumstances were, but Felton would have the resources to mount a legal challenge if the facts are favorable.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    While I doubt there's much integrity to be found in UNC athletic programs, Felton has been out of college for some time. I'm not sure any program should be held accountable for something their previous players (or graduates, using that term very loosely of course) do 8 years after leaving.

Then again, most programs bask in the glory of their previous players' successes, so I can see the argument that they should face the other side of the coin too. But really, Felton has been in the NBA a lot longer than he was in college. And it's not like there's a causal relationship there. As I recall, wasn't he pretty good friends with one of our Duke guys, at one time anyway? I can't remember who.
    He's been out for a good while, but I think it still brings into question the type of people being recruited into that program. If you're a parent of a 5 star basketball recruit, do you want your kid playing at a school where former players are getting in trouble for guns, drugs, expensive cars and other NCAA violations? It just looks bad.

Some details from the NY Daily News:

Knicks point guard Raymond Felton was arrested on three counts of criminal possession of a weapon early Tuesday after his estranged wife's lawyer dumped his gun off with cops, sources said.
    The raven-haired beauty — a Cornell University grad who is now studying at Fordham University School of Law...according to a police source, was uncomfortable that the handgun was being kept in the home.

He's been out for a good while, but I think it still brings into question the type of people being recruited into that program. If you're a parent of a 5 star basketball recruit, do you want your kid playing at a school where former players are getting in trouble for guns, drugs, expensive cars and other NCAA violations? It just looks bad.
    Are you solely basing this on Felton and PJ?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This might work out for the Knicks, they may be able to void his $3.5 mil contract next year.
    This was my first thought upon seeing this headline. My second thought was, I wonder if the Knicks tipped off the cops!

Okay, but that's like two guys recruited by Roy. Three, with Hairston.

I'd tread carefully here. There's a fair bit of overlap in the HS players recruited by Duke and UNC. Neither school is wholly responsible for how they turn out, whether Hall of Fame or halls of justice. By comparison to UNC lately, we seem angelic (and hopefully ARE), though our halos aren't without a little bit of tarnish from time to time.

Ariane Raymondo-Felton

http://gigionthat.com/nba-news-raymo...files-divorce/

From the "life is stanger than fiction" department:

Ray-Ray's STBX is named Ariane Raymondo-Felton!

Gotta hand it to her, 19-months of marriage is going to be very good for her financially.

Playing devil's advocate...

...should we judge Duke because Laettner got suspended for drugs, JJ got arrested for drunk driving, and Taylor King got put in the doghouse for failing drug tests?

Every single program has these types of players getting arrested. I'd be surprised if UNC had significantly more. My money says no.

Don't really like the message of this thread as it's more of an athlete problem and not a UNC problem.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

I hate Felton as much as any other player from up the road in chapel hell, but this smells strongly of a setup and attempted leverage in the pending divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ...should we judge Duke because Laettner got suspended for drugs, JJ got arrested for drunk driving, and Taylor King got put in the doghouse for failing drug tests?

Every single program has these types of players getting arrested. I'd be surprised if UNC had significantly more. My money says no.

Don't really like the message of this thread as it's more of an athlete problem and not a UNC problem.
    Gonna have to come up with more names than that... UNC owns the series of "former/current players that have run afoul of the law."

Prosecutors would be wise to drop the charges.

After seeing this Felton highlight reel produced by Knicks fans (audio NSFW) (which was posted on DBR by Jason Evans), Felton certainly has a legitimate need for self-defense from mobs of angry Knicks fans.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Gonna have to come up with more names than that... UNC owns the series of "former/current players that have run afoul of the law."
    Duke is pretty clean, but that doesn't mean our players haven't got into trouble. Arrests are low, but there are other violations / bad press for Duke players. Remember that Nolan Smith was suspended for 2 games for playing in unsanctioned games (stupid NCAA rule, but rule nonetheless).

I'm happy that Coach K is running a clean program and it trickles down to the players, but keep two things in mind. 1) Duke players do get in trouble, and 2) UNC violations / arrests probably aren't more than a lot of blue chip schools.

Hmm

Was he on his way to pick up PJ??? Ba da bum Ching