Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 15232425
    There is a tremendous amount of scientific research out there that points to what most would regard as counterintuitive dynamics that produce long term learning, particularly with regard to learning how to use and organize ourselves in movement in internal and external environments that are in constant flux. It is not the case, for example, that learning will be enhanced by teaching to task, that is, by rewarding good outcomes and punishing bad ones. I will repeat that, NOT. In fact, the issue of reward/punishment aside, corrective interventions need to be kept to a bare minimum, and I do mean bare, and the manner and nature of what is said and how, are so misused as to keep many potential learners locked steadfastly in place. It is also not the case that narrow focus on one aspect of performance will likely produce improvement; to the contrary, a broad gaze and introducing randomness into an environment of playing with different modes of performing the same and different tasks is much more generative of improvement, the type of improvement that one owns, one that does not need endless coaching sessions and/or mind-numbing rote repetitions (if your attention/awareness is not drawn to what you are doing, what is the chance that your mind will be able to discern what works better for YOU, not what is the best way to shoot a free throw, but what is the best way for YOU to shoot a free throw). There are a number of other perhaps more startling misconceptions that infuse teaching environments that predominant in the world of sports that impede progress by all of us.

Perhaps we are asking the wrong question when we wonder whether players learn best during practice, games, or dare I say it (heck I already have), imaging. They all have their strengths. Perhaps better asked is what does science tell us about how the brain and nervous system work, about what comprises good learning environments for different types of information/skill/understanding acquisition that is being ignored that could prevent outcomes nobody wants: that is, performers getting stuck. Stated more plainly, how can we help ourselves or our kids become better learner/players at the games that we chose to play.

Master PGA Teaching Professional Michael Hebron (24 such masters in the World), for years has broken with convention when it comes to teaching golfers through "how to" directions, and has spent the last 25 years in self discovery with regard to what science has to offer about how the brain, nervous system, and external inputs best create learning, and thus how coaching can best improve learning and performance, which in real world terms are the same thing with regard to self organization and use. What is so striking is that Michael's research in no sense was an academic exercise because he was constantly putting these scientific inputs (his growing understanding of them) into play in his teaching, lecturing, writing, dialoguing, which in turn provided a new base point for understanding the next article, lecture, seminar, which then found its way into his next short-game clinic. Learner/teacher/scientist, rolling over into themselves.

The challenges presented by trying to put words that cohere around such matters are stunning. Despite my best advice, expect a book next 6-12 months. In the meantime, you can check out his website, http://michaelhebron.com/, or catch some of short tidbits on YouTube.

Quote Originally Posted by whereinthehellami View Post
    It used to get me riled up when other fan bases would talk about how hard it is to beat Duke because it is 8 (w/ the refs) versus 5 and Duke gets all the calls. But now that i have matured beyond my years, I revel in their defeatist attitude. For that is loser talk. They are saying how stacked the odds are against them. How unfair playing Duke is. How they are going to lose. They are building Duke up into a team that is going to win. They are giving Duke an edge before the game starts. I'll take it.

Never argue with someone, especially a UNC fan, who claims Duke gets favorable treatment from the officials, announcers, NCAA, etc. because you can never convince them. It is so much more satisfying to say "of course they do, they're Duke. Maybe if your team had real student athletes and did things the right way they could get the same treatment but nah, probably not."

One important element about this game that I haven't seen anyone discussing was the number of females in the student section wearing sports bras/halter tops.

Although as a 1989 alum and an appreciator of the days when everyone stayed for 3 or 4 years I tend to favor the good old days, I hold this development in fan fashion in high regard.

That is all.

We didn't read the stories that said "Send in the Rebels and send out the clowns."
    And we didn't lose by 30.

Quote Originally Posted by lotusland View Post
    Never argue with someone, especially a UNC fan, who claims Duke gets favorable treatment from the officials, announcers, NCAA, etc. because you can never convince them. It is so much more satisfying to say "of course they do, they're Duke. Maybe if your team had real student athletes and did things the right way they could get the same treatment but nah, probably not."
    I like it, I like it!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post
    One important element about this game that I haven't seen anyone discussing was the number of females in the student section wearing sports bras/halter tops.

Although as a 1989 alum and an appreciator of the days when everyone stayed for 3 or 4 years I tend to favor the good old days, I hold this development in fan fashion in high regard.

That is all.
    MUCH better than Speedo Guy

Quote Originally Posted by greybeard View Post
    There is a tremendous amount of scientific research out there that points to what most would regard as counterintuitive dynamics that produce long term learning, particularly with regard to learning how to use and organize ourselves in movement in internal and external environments that are in constant flux. It is not the case, for example, that learning will be enhanced by teaching to task, that is, by rewarding good outcomes and punishing bad ones. I will repeat that, NOT. In fact, the issue of reward/punishment aside, corrective interventions need to be kept to a bare minimum, and I do mean bare, and the manner and nature of what is said and how, are so misused as to keep many potential learners locked steadfastly in place. It is also not the case that narrow focus on one aspect of performance will likely produce improvement; to the contrary, a broad gaze and introducing randomness into an environment of playing with different modes of performing the same and different tasks is much more generative of improvement, the type of improvement that one owns, one that does not need endless coaching sessions and/or mind-numbing rote repetitions (if your attention/awareness is not drawn to what you are doing, what is the chance that your mind will be able to discern what works better for YOU, not what is the best way to shoot a free throw, but what is the best way for YOU to shoot a free throw). There are a number of other perhaps more startling misconceptions that infuse teaching environments that predominant in the world of sports that impede progress by all of us.
    Yoda, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by 79-77 View Post

That is all.
    Did the girl with the painted on bra a few years back make it on tv? Definitely got spotlighted on the video board at the game!

Quote Originally Posted by billy View Post
    Yoda, is that you?
    Nope. A very poor approximation of the thinking of my good friend Michael Hebron. If you would like to voir dire the witness, I think you will be more than satisfied (My Cousin Vinnie)"

Decades ago Michael Hebron played a key role in orchestrating the first
    PGA Teaching and Coaching Seminar, bringing together instructors from
    across the country to share ideas on teaching methods. Following that
    event, Michael gained the nickname of "the teacher's teacher".

Highly respected throughout the international golf community, Michael
    consults on golf instruction to PGA Switzerland, Italy, France, Finland,
    Canada, Japan and Sweden. He has given instruction clinics at 30 PGA of
    America sections. Through his dedication Michael earned the honored
    status of becoming the 24th PGA of America Master Professional.

His book, See and Feel the Inside Move the Outside, was the first golf
    instruction book accepted as a PGA Master’s thesis. Since then, he has
    written hundreds of articles for leading golf magazines and authored 4
    other books and 3 DVDs.

Michael has appeared on The Charley Rose Show, Today Show, The
    Golf Channel and numerous local cable shows.

Over the years, Hebron has worked with many successful golfers from the
    PGA and LPGA tours and several national champions in America and abroad
    including three time men's major winners. He has also worked with many
    successful high school and college golfers—but Michael’s pride is working
    with club golfers

In a more resume-like form, Here's Mikie:

NATIONAL AWARDS
    PGA of America Teacher of the Year 1991
    Golf Magazine Top 50 Instructors List 1991–present
    National PGA Horton Smith Trophy Recipient 1990
    Top 15 Golf Digest’s Teacher’s Choice List 1998–present
    (elected by peers)
    Lindy Award (Junior Golf) 1973

INTERNATIONAL HONORS
    Created and Coordinated:
    1990 — 1st European PGA Teaching Conference
    1989 — 1st Canadian PGA Teaching Conference
    1988 — 1st PGA of America Teaching and Coaching Summit
    Consulting Instructor — Swiss PGA, French PGA, Italian PGA,
    Swedish PGA, Finland PGA
    MET PGA DIVISION AWARDS
    MET PGA Horton Smith Award 1990, 1989, 1981
    MET PGA Professional of the Year 1982
    MET PGA Teacher of the Year 1991, 1987
    MET PGA Honor Roll 1973

AUTHOR
    • Golf Swing Secrets…and Lies: Six Timeless Lessons (book)
    • Blueprints for Building Your Golf Swing video (rated 4 stars of 5-star
    excellence by Golf Magazine)
    • Blueprints for Parents & Children Learning Golf (DVD)
    • See and Feel the Inside Move the Outside (book)
    The Art and Zen of Learning Golf (book)
    • Building and Improving Golf Mind, Golf Body Golf Swing (book and video)
    • NGF’s Instructor’s Guide and Coach’s Guide
    • Contributor to PGA Teaching Manual, PGA Tournament Manual, and
    First Swing publications
    • Instruction Editor—MET Golfer Magazine and Executive Golfer
    • Articles written by and about Michael by leading golf publications: Golf
    Illustrated, Golf Magazine, PGA Magazine, MET Golfer, Executive Golfer,
    NY Times, USA Today.
    • Aired on The Charley Rose Show, The Today Show, Good Morning Japan, The Golf
    Channel’s Academy Live show, first golf instructor to host an America Online Auditiorium
    Session.

PROFESSIONAL LEADERSHIP
    President —Michael Hebron School for Golf TM Long Island and
    Golf Learning, Inc.
    Director — Smithtown Landing Country Club
    Head Instructor — PGA Teaching Workshops
    Head Instructor — PGA Academy of Golf
    Board of Governors — MET PGA (8 years)
    Vice President — MET PGA (5 years)
    Member — National PGA of America Education Committee
    Member — National PGA of America Teaching and the Growth
    of the Game Committee in addition to several other
    PGA of America Committees
    Member — Two National PGA Blue Ribbon Committees
    Board of Directors — Long Island Golfer Magazine

I should add that Michael is a didactic learner, is as current on cutting edge science bearing on how people learn (what factors enhance and detract from learning environments and why) as any non-scientist you'd likely find, and if there is a more authentic, well grounded, and better equipped individual in the world of sports instruction and coaching, I would oh so be surprised.

Finally, for a kicker, Michael knows Ball. He played at UNC Charlotte in the late 50's-early 60s, his kid brother was Cremins's lead assistant at GT, and I'll let you know if he has a shot when we spend a few days seeing if he can find me a swing.

This is not, fluff, this is the best that science has to offer that has been put in play by as talented, committed, nuanced, authentic, and brilliant movement educator, master of the art of learning and teaching how to learn as pertains to the world of movement as I have encountered, and I have met my share of very high end educators. Big time sports can go where they will. It is time that the rest of us have a shot at learning to play the games we want with a well earned optimism and vitality that a brain oriented approach to improvement will provide. We just need to stop letting arcane concepts about what it takes to improve and who is in charge of it in our way. We need to bring play full circle with the help of modern science and the guidance of a man who I think is uniquely equipped to provide it. Uniquely equipped or not, I thought you might benefit to know of a resource that you might find of value, or at least of interest.

Michael Hebron, not me. Me, I'm along for the ride, happily.