Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

MBB. Duke v Syracuse Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Need to get my mind off UNC ! Thoughts?
    Last edited by Bob Green; 02-21-2014 at 05:26 AM.

I'm trying to do the same thing GoFur but even as i type this post, my thoughts still are on last nights upset and more importantly why the storming of the court?

I will say this for the record, the blue devils will come out much differently come saturday evening at home against the orangemen. I'm not saying we'll blow the cuse away by double digits (although we have the team to do it) but i do trust and believe besides coach and his staff laying into the guys after last nights blown lead loss.

The blue devils will play with a focus come saturday and no doubt avenge both the cuse loss tomorrow and unc loss in our rematch!

Quote Originally Posted by gofurman View Post
    Need to get my mind off UNC ! Thoughts?
    Timing is again horrible. It will be interesting to see how Duke plays with Syracuse the second time after seeing their zone. Of course the same is true with Syracuse after playing Duke's interior or lack of interior D. The short turnaround and Syracuse having much more time to get ready puts Duke at a huge disadvantage for the second half where the game will be won. Foul trouble is a major concern. The crowd will need to give Duke energy- but this has been a brutal week for a relatively young Duke team.

I have concerns the team will be absolutely GASSED (K noted in his postgame last night that the team looked tired). Plus the way we lost last night could also affect the team's confidence. This game was HUGE and it's even bigger now as we need it to hold onto a 3 seed in the ACC tourny. If we fail to beat the Cuse we could easily slip to 4th or 5th by the end of the season and potentially lose the bye in the ACC Tourny.

Should we be fortunate to win this game I pray that the students do NOT rush the Court.
    Last edited by CLW; 02-21-2014 at 07:04 AM.

Crazies need to bring IT to the game to help the team……they are going to need a big boost after last night..

Cuse has been skating on thin ice of late….i'm sure they're not overly confident either….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Tired Players

I believe that we have been getting tired in the second half of competitive games and that both our offense and defense has suffered as a result. Coach K admitted that he was rightly upset and unfocused due to his brothers passing. He mentioned that his assistant coaches asked him to use more of his players due to the depth and quality of the bench. When he did, the results were remarkable. Fresher players, more pressure on the opponents, etc. What we have seen of late is a reversion to a shorter bench and that is not helping, particularly when we play 4 games in 8 days. My suggestions for improved play going forward are as follows:

1. Use Marshall more. He clearly did well against UNC and should be getting at least 15 minutes a game if not more. His use would lighten the load on Jabari and Amile making them fresher down the stretch. I also believe that Marshall has some upside offensively. Try to set him up for dunks inside. Few teams have someone of his size and athleticism.

2. Split up Quinn and Tyler, giving each PG duties. Who starts depends on who runs the offense the best. Allow for Rasheed and Matt to play the SG position with Rasheed getting the majority of those minutes. Keep the defensive pressure on the opponents. Encourage Matt to become a part of the offense. He has ball handling and shooting skills but needs positive feedback rather than fear of being pulled.

3. Use Andre to sub for Rodney. Rodney has appeared tired again in the second half against UNC and has been getting into foul trouble.

4. Use Semi also for short periods to spread the load for the bigger guys. Maybe a few minutes a half would give our top players the rest they need. I put Semi ahead of Josh after seeing Josh have poor foul numbers and essentially no rebounds and no scoring. Semi is the superior athlete of the two.

We still need to play Jabari, Rodney, Amile, Cook and Rasheed for extended minutes, but lets give these guys breaks during the game to reduce foul issues and to improve both their offense and defense while in the game.

I remember the Syracuse game where Fair, Grant, and Ennis hurt us. We need to stay fresh against these guys.

Clw, trust and believe when we beat cuse this saturday duke fans have more than enough class to know the "W" wouldn't warrant our storming of the court.

After all it's our homecourt, we should be able to protect it!

Quote Originally Posted by CLW View Post
    I have concerns the team will be absolutely GASSED (K noted in his postgame last night that the team looked tired). Plus the way we lost last night could also affect the team's confidence. This game was HUGE and it's even bigger now as we need it to hold onto a 3 seed in the ACC tourny. If we fail to beat the Cuse we could easily slip to 4th or 5th by the end of the season and potentially lose the bye in the ACC Tourny.

Should we be fortunate to win this game I pray that the students do NOT rush the Court.
    seems like that is something that he could have addressed during the game. i agree with those in the UNC post-game thread who said K got out-coached by Roy, which is something i never would have thought i would say. Boeheim is a great coach, who knows K's tendencies, so K will have to do a MUCH better job in this coming game to not get out-coached again.
    I hope K doesn't play an even shorter bench vs. the 'Cuse cuz we'll lose again, for many of the same reasons we lost vs. UNC. When the assistant coaches convinced K to play the bench more, the results were positive, immediate and a huge improvement in team play, chemistry, defensive intensity and offensive efficiency. All of those positive factors were absent late in the 2nd half vs UNC. Hopefully K will have learned something from that.

Quote Originally Posted by SirBlueDevil View Post
    Clw, trust and believe when we beat cuse this saturday duke fans have more than enough class to know the "W" wouldn't warrant our storming of the court.

After all it's our homecourt, we should be able to protect it!
    I look forward to tut-tutting our fans for a ridiculous loss of cool,
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga2 View Post
    I believe that we have been getting tired in the second half of competitive games and that both our offense and defense has suffered as a result. Coach K admitted that he was rightly upset and unfocused due to his brothers passing. He mentioned that his assistant coaches asked him to use more of his players due to the depth and quality of the bench. When he did, the results were remarkable. Fresher players, more pressure on the opponents, etc. What we have seen of late is a reversion to a shorter bench and that is not helping, particularly when we play 4 games in 8 days. My suggestions for improved play going forward are as follows:

1. Use Marshall more. He clearly did well against UNC and should be getting at least 15 minutes a game if not more. His use would lighten the load on Jabari and Amile making them fresher down the stretch. I also believe that Marshall has some upside offensively. Try to set him up for dunks inside. Few teams have someone of his size and athleticism.

2. Split up Quinn and Tyler, giving each PG duties. Who starts depends on who runs the offense the best. Allow for Rasheed and Matt to play the SG position with Rasheed getting the majority of those minutes. Keep the defensive pressure on the opponents. Encourage Matt to become a part of the offense. He has ball handling and shooting skills but needs positive feedback rather than fear of being pulled.

3. Use Andre to sub for Rodney. Rodney has appeared tired again in the second half against UNC and has been getting into foul trouble.

4. Use Semi also for short periods to spread the load for the bigger guys. Maybe a few minutes a half would give our top players the rest they need. I put Semi ahead of Josh after seeing Josh have poor foul numbers and essentially no rebounds and no scoring. Semi is the superior athlete of the two.

We still need to play Jabari, Rodney, Amile, Cook and Rasheed for extended minutes, but lets give these guys breaks during the game to reduce foul issues and to improve both their offense and defense while in the game.

I remember the Syracuse game where Fair, Grant, and Ennis hurt us. We need to stay fresh against these guys.
    Ah substantive basketball discussion!

I agree on splitting Quinn and Tyler. We give up too much size. I'd even be ok with the hockey substitutions at the first tv timeout just to keep things shook up.

The offense runs well through Cook. That is our ideal set - Cook at wheel, setting guys up. However, Rasheed coming off a ball screen is very good at getting into the paint and drawing fouls. Rasheed did little of that last night, but it could be good for getting into the paint tomorrow. Instead of a ball screen Rasheed would have to get a screen on one of the zone defenders to create a gap.

Will we see Jabari and Rodney parked at the free throw line a lot tomorrow? That will keep the zone pulled in some and create space for shooters, or it will get those two the ball in a threatening position. Also, Amile should look to flash to the block if someone penetrates so he can get an easy bucket.

Cracking the Syracuse zone is tough but we will be prepared.

Now about our D...that's what concerns me. We have to guard their bigs straight up to avoid foul trouble. No reaching or shoving. Just force them to hit their shots.

I am glad our turnaround is short. I'm still bitter about last night.

The biggest game of the year to date with very large implications. I felt great about this one before last night. I've cooled not because of the fact that we lost, but because some level of fatigue became an obvious issue last night. I know it's cliche' at this point, but it's there. I still feel good about it, we usually shoot well in our own gym. But if our legs aren't there, this one won't be close like last time.

Quinn may be one of the more encouraging pieces in this one. Overall he showed a positive spark that I think could carry through, and we'll need him to exploit the Cuse zone. I'd like to see us drive into the teeth a lot in this one.

I'm counting on fouls being an issue once again.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

Quote Originally Posted by jipops View Post
    The biggest game of the year to date with very large implications. I felt great about this one before last night. I've cooled not because of the fact that we lost, but because some level fatigue became an obvious issue last night. I know it's cliche' at this point, but it's there. I still feel good about it, we usually shoot well in our own gym. But if our legs aren't there, this one won't be close like last time.

Quinn may be one of the more encouraging pieces in this one. Overall he showed a positive spark that I think could carry through, and we'll need him to exploit the Cuse zone. I'd like to see us drive into the teeth a lot in this one.

I'm counting on fouls being an issue once again.
    For both sides. Boeheim is again gonna make his players attack the rim - especially Jabari and Amile. And I'm positive Coach K will do the same with Jabari, Hood, Sulaimon, and UNC-style Cook. There are gonna be lots and lots of fouls. My guess? At least 2 of Jabari, Hood, Amile, Thornton, Grant, Christmas, and Fair will foul out.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    For both sides. Boeheim is again gonna make his players attack the rim - especially Jabari and Amile. And I'm positive Coach K will do the same with Jabari, Hood, Sulaimon, and UNC-style Cook. There are gonna be lots and lots of fouls. My guess? At least 2 of Jabari, Hood, Amile, Thornton, Grant, Christmas, and Fair will foul out.
    I agree, and I think K is going to have to provide Hairston some minutes in this one to offset the foul issues. Maybe, just maybe, he can draw a couple charges. That would be HUGE in this one. Plumlee has certainly earned his minutes at this point.
    "Just be you. You is Enough."

I agree, and I think K is going to have to provide Hairston some minutes in this one to offset the foul issues. Maybe, just maybe, he can draw a couple charges. That would be HUGE in this one. Plumlee has certainly earned his minutes at this point.
    Plumdog 3.0 is fantastic against big teams, like UNC. Against more mobile teams, he's not as effective. I think we'll see MP3 for a few minutes, but I'm not sure his impact will be the same as against UNC. Syracuse is quick, mobile, and not that beefy. I remember a few plays where Fair terrorized Plumdog 3.0. I hope we're able to utilize Plumlee against Syracuse, but I'm not as sold on this.

And I agree with Hairston. If this is gonna be a blood bath, we're gonna need Hairston to play 10 mins.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Plumdog 3.0 is fantastic against big teams, like UNC. Against more mobile teams, he's not as effective. I think we'll see MP3 for a few minutes, but I'm not sure his impact will be the same as against UNC. Syracuse is quick, mobile, and not that beefy. I remember a few plays where Fair terrorized Plumdog 3.0. I hope we're able to utilize Plumlee against Syracuse, but I'm not as sold on this.

And I agree with Hairston. If this is gonna be a blood bath, we're gonna need Hairston to play 10 mins.
    Well if Plumlee can stay on Christmas I think it's an okay matchup. He can't stay with Fair, but another big will surely be needed. Maybe Josh does get more minutes just being a little quicker.

This one is actually pretty simple:

Give Parker the ball at the high post --> ? --> win.

Quote Originally Posted by nocilla View Post
    Well if Plumlee can stay on Christmas I think it's an okay matchup. He can't stay with Fair, but another big will surely be needed. Maybe Josh does get more minutes just being a little quicker.
    Hairston and MP3 are both problematic against that zone, because neither of them can really handle the ball. If we're not using the 5 to handle the ball in the high post, it begs the question of where to put them on the floor. You don't want them just taking up space in the lane because that negates the ability for Jabari (who presumably is then in the high post) to drive to the basket.

I know everyone gets hives when we start talking about Jabari playing the 5, but this might be the game to do it (at least for whatever amount of time Amile needs to rest). When Amile's on the bench, use Jabari at the 5 and bring in another shooter (probably Dawkins).

I'm still so traumatized by last night's 2nd half. We all dislike UNC, but I'm probably in the 99th percentile of Duke fans for outright LOATHING UNC. So, I'll toss in some thoughts about the UNC game after this weekend. (One quickie perspective though: I'm still very positive about the rest of the season, and Duke is going to give UNC a beatdown in Cameron).

But for now, NEXT PLAY.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    The short turnaround and Syracuse having much more time to get ready puts Duke at a huge disadvantage for the second half where the game will be won.
    Relax. Cuse had a whole extra day to prepare, and both teams know each other from the first meeting already. We'll be fine.

I have concerns the team will be absolutely GASSED
    But if our legs aren't there, this one won't be close like last time.
    The crowd will give us energy. Tonight Coach K is probably going to have a "team meeting" with the K-ville kids. He'll let them know that tomorrow, Duke will be running the last leg of 3 games in 5 days, and that the team will need the crowd's energy to push us to great heights. These kids who have been camping out all this time will be frothing at the mouth to help our team. We'll be fine.

Boeheim is again gonna make his players attack the rim - especially Jabari and Amile. And I'm positive Coach K will do the same with Jabari, Hood, Sulaimon, and UNC-style Cook. There are gonna be lots and lots of fouls. My guess? At least 2 of Jabari, Hood, Amile, Thornton, Grant, Christmas, and Fair will foul out.
    It just depends on the officiating crew. There's been no consistency across crews. If we get one that calls things loosely, foul trouble might not be an issue.

Plumlee should be fine against Syracuse. He needs to stay on the backline and go for offensive rebounds. The high post should be handled by Amile & Jabari.

If this is gonna be a blood bath, we're gonna need Hairston to play 10 mins.
    Unfortunately, I don't think I like Josh at either the high post or the backline.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    This one is actually pretty simple:
    Give Parker the ball at the high post --> ? --> win.
    It's not QUITE that simple. There needs to be a mix of Jabari and Amile there. Jabari looks to score. Amile looks to get our 3-pt shooting going. Syracuse's team is smart enough to adjust depending on who's there. Pressure Jabari, back off Amile. So if the choice is between Jabari shooting challenged midrange shots vs Amile looking to find 3-pt shooters, all basketball analytics will point to Amile being the more efficient option. Remember, we put up 131 Offensive Efficiency against Cuse in the Carrier Dome with Amile being the primary high-post guy. Now if Jabari is able to pass like Amile and help his teammates get open 3-pt shots, and if Jabari can drive from the high-post for scores and fouls, then the advantage tilts to him.

Also, if anyone isn't confident about tomorrow's game, I'll be happy to bet you that Duke will win. I'll give you the point spread to be fair as well. It'll be something like Duke -4.

The stakes can be drinks or maybe dinner in Durham the next time we're both there. Something like that.

Duke will rebound from this loss and win tomorrow. I'm confident about that.

We don't actually need the Cuse game to be #3. We need the UNC rematch. If we lose to Cuse but win out from there, we are the #3. If we beat Cuse and lose to UNC again, we fall to #4 unless UNC finds another two losses on their schedule.

Not that I want to lose tomorrow, but it doesn't make a huge difference in our seeding. It is going to come down to the last regular season game.