Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fan Behavior

Fan Behavior

There is an article up on the Fayetteville Observer website that was sparked by the recent Marcus Smart incident.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/article_7e9bedf4-0616-5c1f-a922-444284f539be.html
    In the article Coach K is referenced as admitting "Cameron Indoor Stadium was the site for some "bad situations" when Duke students sat behind the visiting bench in the 1980s." Based on my recollections during the early 80's, I don't recall any really "bad situations" resulting from that practice. Other than the pizza box incident, which was all of Cameron, the only situations that I can remember are the skinheads and the opponents having to conduct their timeouts on the floor because it was too loud at the visiting bench.

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    I recall a lovely secondhand story about a couple of undergrads who used to sit near the end of the opposing team's bench and would be so kind as to share their spirits from a flask with the opposing team's walk-ons, the guys who knew they couldn't possibly get into the game. I understand that it was a real treat when the unthinkable happened and the lonely benchwarmers got in for a minute or two at the end of the game. Nothing heinous, of course

Quote Originally Posted by bwl5 View Post
    There is an article up on the Fayetteville Observer website that was sparked by the recent Marcus Smart incident.
    HTML Code:
    http://www.fayobserver.com/sports/article_7e9bedf4-0616-5c1f-a922-444284f539be.html
    In the article Coach K is referenced as admitting "Cameron Indoor Stadium was the site for some "bad situations" when Duke students sat behind the visiting bench in the 1980s." Based on my recollections during the early 80's, I don't recall any really "bad situations" resulting from that practice. Other than the pizza box incident, which was all of Cameron, the only situations that I can remember are the skinheads and the opponents having to conduct their timeouts on the floor because it was too loud at the visiting bench.
    Well, that was where the BOGgers sat during my years as an undergrad (1984-88). They were loud and obnoxious (in a good way if you're a Duke fan). I don't recall anything "bad" other than what they might have yelled at the opposing team, particularly when they were trying to meet during a timeout. Maybe some of what they yelled was over the line, but other than that I don't remember anything specific.
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

There was verbally abusive behavior behind the visitor's bench in the early 1980s. And it wasn't all good spirited fun. It got ugly enough that Coach K took action. The problem (IIRC) was that, although the abuse was directed at the opposing players and staff, that's where the visiting players' parents sat. Mom and sis didn't need to hear that stuff about their son or brother, not from so close up. My (admittedly fading) recollection is that one step Coach K took was to seat a buffer row of young female Duke students -- some sort of ambassador group -- between the rowdy fans and the opposing bench. And someone needs to help me with this (it's been too long), but I think eventually that whole section became restricted to keep Duke undergrads away from the opposing bench. What's the seating arrangement there now?

In 1975, at the end of the Maryland game in Cameron, Maryland player Jap Trimble stepped on a team seat as he was running by the bench after the game and reached up into the stands and punched a student in the mouth as he ran by. Must have thought it was me.... But it wasn't. GTHc 9F!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

In regards to K's point on JJ, I think some of the worst opposing fan behavior that JJ saw wasn't at MD, but at VaTech when his family was in attendance. Didn't they skip the trip to Blacksburg his senior year because the Hokies fans were so awful to him?
    "Something in my vicinity is Carolina blue and this offends me." - HPR

Maryland and recent Miami

We are young college kids, who love their team. I do not recall anything that stood out. Like the beer bottle throwing at Maryland at a players mom. Miami insulted some Duke fans there, this was in the chronicle. Just loud, drunk behavior.
    Like me, sitting at home and watching late game. By that time I am through a bottle of JD and half a case of beer. I sit home and just shoot at the TV!
    LOL
    Later GTHC Go Duke

Quote Originally Posted by DukeAlumBS View Post
    We are young college kids, who love their team. I do not recall anything that stood out. Like the beer bottle throwing at Maryland at a players mom. Miami insulted some Duke fans there, this was in the chronicle. Just loud, drunk behavior.
    Like me, sitting at home and watching late game. By that time I am through a bottle of JD and half a case of beer. I sit home and just shoot at the TV!
    LOL
    Later GTHC Go Duke
    all this time I thought you were posting with a language barrier - my mistake! Cheers jimmy!

bob blue devil!

Quote Originally Posted by bob blue devil View Post
    all this time I thought you were posting with a language barrier - my mistake! Cheers jimmy!
    Makes me feel good people are reading ALL of this here. BTW like malt instead of JD!
    Have nice day my friend, made my day!
    Jimmy

LOL
    Later GTHC Go Duke
    I want to watch the game at your house.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    I recall a lovely secondhand story about a couple of undergrads who used to sit near the end of the opposing team's bench and would be so kind as to share their spirits from a flask with the opposing team's walk-ons... I understand that it was a real treat ...
    Now see there? We're a decent and welcoming group of friendly people. Generous to a fault, I'd say.

LOL
    Later GTHC Go Duke
    Do you mean the water bottle thrown at Boozer's mom in 2001, after the gone in 54 seconds game?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    Do you mean the water bottle thrown at Boozer's mom in 2001, after the gone in 54 seconds game?
    "Water bottle" sounds plastic. I'm pretty sure it was glass and have read that she suffered a concussion...not good.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Well, that was where the BOGgers sat during my years as an undergrad (1984-88). They were loud and obnoxious (in a good way if you're a Duke fan). I don't recall anything "bad" other than what they might have yelled at the opposing team, particularly when they were trying to meet during a timeout. Maybe some of what they yelled was over the line, but other than that I don't remember anything specific.
    Also in my years in the late 1960s. Even then, in the pre-Cameron, let alone Crazie era, we were much louder and obnoxious than at present. K has toned things down more than I would like. But then - that was then, when I was at Duke, and everything was better than now.

Quote Originally Posted by Tappan Zee Devil View Post
    Also in my years in the late 1960s. Even then, in the pre-Cameron, let alone Crazie era, we were much louder and obnoxious than at present. K has toned things down more than I would like. But then - that was then, when I was at Duke, and everything was better than now.
    And Bill Werber Served the Beer...

-jk

I will vouch for Rich, those years were exceptionally polite and welcoming.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    "Water bottle" sounds plastic. I'm pretty sure it was glass and have read that she suffered a concussion...not good.
    My recollection is a mix here. I believe it was a plastic water bottle, but it was full. Could easily cause a concussion if it had any heat at all on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    My recollection is a mix here. I believe it was a plastic water bottle, but it was full. Could easily cause a concussion if it had any heat at all on it.
    Was definitely plastic and full. They didn't serve glass water bottles. Also, that incident is what led to stadiums across the country starting the process of removing bottle caps before serving water and pop that is commonplace today, as capless water bottles won't travel as far when thrown.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

I don't remember the BOGgers yelling anything in particular - just yelling - loudly - really loudly - with shirts pulled over their heads - while leaning as far into the opponent's bench as possible - for the entire length of each timeout. It was pretty hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    There was verbally abusive behavior behind the visitor's bench in the early 1980s. And it wasn't all good spirited fun. It got ugly enough that Coach K took action. The problem (IIRC) was that, although the abuse was directed at the opposing players and staff, that's where the visiting players' parents sat. Mom and sis didn't need to hear that stuff about their son or brother, not from so close up. My (admittedly fading) recollection is that one step Coach K took was to seat a buffer row of young female Duke students -- some sort of ambassador group -- between the rowdy fans and the opposing bench. And someone needs to help me with this (it's been too long), but I think eventually that whole section became restricted to keep Duke undergrads away from the opposing bench. What's the seating arrangement there now?
    My senior year (2000-01), the couple rows immediately behind the visiting team's family & fans were for RAs (which I was), student government reps, and club officers. We were supposed to be a buffer protecting our esteemed guests from the rest of the student body, although I don't know how strictly it was enforced (I believe we could bring in one guest with us to sit in the buffer zone) and it's not like some of these student leaders never got a little rowdy. I definitely recall angry words and taunts exchanged between the visitors and bufferers, particularly with the always pleasant Maryland fans on Senior Night (our last loss that season). I don't know if they still employ that practice but I would imagine they do.

Oh, and GTHC, GTH!