Ralph Kiner (1922-2014)

Dies at 91. Cool pic of him with Elizabeth Taylor.

At risk of drawing another infraction, I note that the article claims he "squired" Elizabeth Taylor.

He dated Janet Leigh and Elizabeth Taylor. Such quality compares to Derek Jeter's quality+quantity.

http://youtu.be/ElNwYTepz1E

My childhood, in a nutshell

yet another reason for mets nation to mourn. may he find his korner in heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    http://youtu.be/ElNwYTepz1E

My childhood, in a nutshell
    great video! love that quick shot of keith hernandez in a powder blue cards uni.

Quote Originally Posted by NovaScotian View Post
    yet another reason for mets nation to mourn. may he find his korner in heaven.

great video! love that quick shot of keith hernandez in a powder blue cards uni.
    For folks my age, lots to remember in the opening and in the file of Tom Terrific in the all-star game.

Rest in Peace, Ralph. Lindsey Nelson has a jacket waiting for you.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    For folks my age, lots to remember in the opening and in the file of Tom Terrific in the all-star game.

Rest in Peace, Ralph. Lindsey Nelson has a jacket waiting for you.
    And let's not forget Bob Murphy. Growing up in New York City I was a Yankees fan, however Shea Stadium was a lot easier for me to get to since I lived in Queens. The Mets used to have a great partnership with Bordens and if you saved the coupons off of milk cartons and packs of cheese, ten would get you a seat in the green seats waaaay up at the top of Shea. WOR used to broadcast quite a few games, way more than WPIX did for the Yankees and since my dad was an NL fan well I got a heavy dose of the Mets while growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by ncexnyc View Post
    And let's not forget Bob Murphy. Growing up in New York City I was a Yankees fan, however Shea Stadium was a lot easier for me to get to since I lived in Queens. The Mets used to have a great partnership with Bordens and if you saved the coupons off of milk cartons and packs of cheese, ten would get you a seat in the green seats waaaay up at the top of Shea. WOR used to broadcast quite a few games, way more than WPIX did for the Yankees and since my dad was an NL fan well I got a heavy dose of the Mets while growing up.
    Growing up in Rego Park (now in Forest Hills) I used to walk to the World's Fair and to Shea. Great memories of the early "Amazins" from the Polo Grounds days and of Ralph Kiner. His "Kiner's Korner" post-game shows are classics. He, Lindsey Nelson and Bob Murphy helped define my youth as a young Mets fan.

Local sports radio today was discussing his great major league career, even with his years of military service. And I believe he retired early (in his early 30s).

And in his personal life, he was what we NYers call a mensch - based on everything I have read and heard and my one meeting with him as a teenager at Shea.

Rest in peace, Ralph...