Page 2 of 176 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'm seeing the name Junior Smith (I believe his correct name is Dennis Smith, Jr.) mentioned as a PG target in the class of 2016 for Duke.

He's from Fayetteville, NC, and apparently is a strong driver/creator and passer.

To my knowledge, no offer from Duke so far; here's his Scout.com profile
    He's been getting rave reviews lately and appears to be rising up the rankings. And looks like he just got an offer from Kansas. http://www.fayobserver.com/blogs/spo...a4bcf6878.html
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Duke Scouting #4 player in 2016 Jayson Tatum

CBSsports article on 6'8" SF Jatson Tatum:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...h-jayson-tatum

Usual suspects in pursuit

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    He's out of Chaminade Prep in St. Louis, which, if memory serves, is where Bradley Beal went to high school.
    He is definitely the real deal. Expectation is that he will land at FL continuing the pipeline from David Lee and Beal.

We came very, very close to landing David Lee if I recall correctly. He was ultimately swayed by the Florida co-eds.

Quote Originally Posted by GGLC View Post
    We came very, very close to landing David Lee if I recall correctly. He was ultimately swayed by the Florida co-eds.
    I think you overstate a bit. We were definitely recruiting Lee, but I don't think we were ever close to getting him.

Tyus Battle

Another prospect for Duke's Class of 2016

Tyus Battle to visit Michigan and Duke

Duke has also stepped up its involvement for the 6-foot-5 Gill St. Bernard’s guard, with assistant Jon Scheyer taking over his recruitment.

“Duke was in contact with us and now we’ve gotten in contact with them,” Gary said. “I know Coach K and [Jeff] Capel as well as Scheyer were at one of his games [in Sacramento with Team Scan], I think maybe his last game. They really like him and they want to stay involved with him.
    Scouting reports indicate Battle is versatile and a very good outside shooter.

Updated ESPN Rankings

New 2016 rankings (and expanded from 25 to 60) from ESPN. http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...ank/order/true

Of note:

1. Maker
    3. Tatum
    5. Giles
    9. Dennis Smith, Jr. (top ranked PG)
    19. Battle

Also, espn has a detailed Insider article posted on Dennis Smith Jr.'s game (by Bianchardi) for those interested.
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Duke has offers out to the following:

Jayson Tatum
    Dennis Smith
    Harry Giles

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post
    Duke has offers out to the following:

Jayson Tatum
    Dennis Smith
    Harry Giles
    Speaking of which - check out Harry's new blog post: http://socialhub.usatodayhss.com/por...es-blog-june-4
    [Jayson Tatum and I have] still been talking about playing together in college, but, for now, we're just talking and thinking about it. I won't say that it's 100 percent because it's so early for both of us.

My dream class to go to college with would probably be me, Jayson and Dennis (Smith Jr.). I don't think we'd need anything else. I've talked to Dennis too and we're on kinda on the same page with it.

We'll see how it goes.

Dennis Smith

If you haven't seen his game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRHoo2A4Tt4

It's a highlight reel.. but leaves no question as to how athletic he is.

Highlight or not, he looks like the real deal.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post

Crazy how quick he got up on that drive to the basket just scary..Thing about him is hes got style but also substance he makes alot of smart plays and can run an offense..

Seventh Woods got all the hype the past year or two becasue of his high flying youtube clips but hes not nearly as far along as Smith is as a pg..

I really like Dennis Smith Jr, I think he will be a star.

Quote Originally Posted by milkbone View Post

Great athlete, little reminiscent of some scoring 1s we've had like Jwill and Kyrie, but jumper not quite as polished as either's.

Anyone else think it was odd that they showed so many plays of him stopping his dribble then hitting a tough, leaning jumper? Tough play to make, and so its highlight-able when you do it...but show it once so its a cool play, show it a bunch of times and the observation becomes that the guy needs to work on his decision making...he's obviously being told to gun it and even take that shot, but I wouldn't include it more than once or twice in a highlight reel.

Semi-random question: is the class of 2016 generally seen as being relatively weak next to '15 and '14 or am I way off?

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post
    Great athlete, little reminiscent of some scoring 1s we've had like Jwill and Kyrie, but jumper not quite as polished as either's.

Anyone else think it was odd that they showed so many plays of him stopping his dribble then hitting a tough, leaning jumper? Tough play to make, and so its highlight-able when you do it...but show it once so its a cool play, show it a bunch of times and the observation becomes that the guy needs to work on his decision making...he's obviously being told to gun it and even take that shot, but I wouldn't include it more than once or twice in a highlight reel.

Semi-random question: is the class of 2016 generally seen as being relatively weak next to '15 and '14 or am I way off?
    Definitely talented but one thing I noticed is that he dribbles a bit high.

Quote Originally Posted by SilkyJ View Post

Youre way off its thought of to be a very strong class much stronger then 14 and 15..

Quote Originally Posted by AAA1980 View Post
    Youre way off its thought of to be a very strong class much stronger then 14 and 15..
    I actually realized that I meant relative to the HS '13 and '14 class (Parker's HS class and Okafor's HS class), but nonetheless sounds like a strong class.

Please no more one and done players

Quote Originally Posted by Duke3517 View Post
    Please no more one and done players
    I think there is virtually no chance that Duke will stop recruiting the Kyrie Irving's and Jabari Parker's of the world. And, IMO, I see no reason why they should.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    I think there is virtually no chance that Duke will stop recruiting the Kyrie Irving's and Jabari Parker's of the world. And, IMO, I see no reason why they should.
    There's also the problem that it's impossible to know who the one-and-dones of the 2017 draft will be at this point.