Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2016 Pre-Olympic Thread, non-USA teams

Today FIBA conducted the draw for the groups for the last three Olympic qualifiers:
    http://www.fiba.com/news/draw-result...ts-to-rio-2016

The winner of each mini-tournament takes a spot. Each six team tournament will have two groups of three teams play a round robin, with the top two teams advancing to a four team playoff.

Here is the breakdown:
    Belgrade: A: Serbia, Angola, Puerto Rico B: Japan, Czech Republic, Latvia
    Manila: A: Turkey, Senegal, Canada B: France, New Zealand, Philippines
    Torino: A: Greece, Mexico, Iran B: Tunisia, Croatia, Italy

Serbia seems to have a fairly easy path in their tournament. Kombank Arena should be rocking for those games so it would have been cooler to see more high profile teams.

Now we know that there is no scenario in which both Canada and France will be in the Olympics. I get the feeling that Turkey, Canada, and France could have some difficulties with the venue, which could open the door for a surprise result or six, just as some of the European teams had difficulties in Venezuela four years ago. The Mall of Asia Arena will almost certainly be packed for all of the games, so much so that I wonder if any other arenas, including the cavernous Philippine Arena that held over 50,000 spectators for the opening of their league in the 2014-2015 season was ever considered. Unfortunately they were not awarded the 2019 World Championships, which would have been a spectacle, although it did go to another country with basketball interest.

I have no idea why I wrote Torino there instead of Turin while writing Belgrade instead of Beograd, but that group should be pretty wide open among the European teams. Each has a reason they could win and a weakness that could knock them out.

It has not been a good year for the development of Canadian players. I pay a bit of attention to them because I think there is a chance Canada rises up to be a legit challenger to the US in FIBA play... or at least have more of a chance than anyone else on the world stage.

But...
    • Anthony Bennett is having another lost season, this time with the Raptors. He can't get off the bench and when he does he doesn't do anything. He's almost certainly going to go down as the worst #1 pick in NBA history. Dude makes Michael Olowokandi looks like an all-star.
    • Big men Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk, and Andrew Nicholson aren't really developing into anything more than solid (but not special) NBA backups. I guess Olynyk is one of the better shooting big men in the league, but he's not turning into much more than that. Thompson is a stud rebounder, but he hasn't yet justified the massive contract he got from Cleveland. Trey Lyles is showing signs of being something worthwhile. He barely played early in the year for Utah but has been getting more run and been productive lately. If he keeps it up, he's got a shot at making the all-Rookie team.
    • Guards Tyler Ennis, Cory Joseph, and Nik Stauskus are worse than the big men. They are NBA players, which makes them better than many international competitors, but none of them are even threatening to become a starter.
    • As for the superstar, Andrew Wiggins still can't shoot from distance. He's an athletic freak and is getting 20 ppg in the NBA, which is pretty great, but expectations that he would become one of the 10-15 elite players in the NBA have not been met, at least not yet. It is still early, but I expected a bit more from him.
    • And then there are the kids still in college. Jamaal Murray figures to be a lottery pick after this season. He may be the third best freshman in basketball this season. Kyle Wiltjer is living up to his All-American hype, though the NBA seems to think his lack of athleticism will hurt him at the next level.

Bottom line, it hasn't been a great season thus far for the development of Canada's young core of players. On the plus side, most of the team seems like it will miss the NBA playoffs or be eliminated early (other than TT) so they will have time to rest and then play together a bit ahead of the July qualifying tournament. I wonder if they will get Murray onto the team. He's young but he really has potential to be a major player for them.

-Jason "Olynyk, TT, Wiggins, and Lyles are a fine front line, but Murray needs to develop to help the backcourt and they could really use more outside shooting. That's what Stauskas is supposed to do" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    It has not been a good year for the development of Canadian players. I pay a bit of attention to them because I think there is a chance Canada rises up to be a legit challenger to the US in FIBA play... or at least have more of a chance than anyone else on the world stage.

But...
    • Anthony Bennett is having another lost season, this time with the Raptors. He can't get off the bench and when he does he doesn't do anything. He's almost certainly going to go down as the worst #1 pick in NBA history. Dude makes Michael Olowokandi looks like an all-star.
    • Big men Tristan Thompson, Kelly Olynyk, and Andrew Nicholson aren't really developing into anything more than solid (but not special) NBA backups. I guess Olynyk is one of the better shooting big men in the league, but he's not turning into much more than that. Thompson is a stud rebounder, but he hasn't yet justified the massive contract he got from Cleveland. Trey Lyles is showing signs of being something worthwhile. He barely played early in the year for Utah but has been getting more run and been productive lately. If he keeps it up, he's got a shot at making the all-Rookie team.
    • Guards Tyler Ennis, Cory Joseph, and Nik Stauskus are worse than the big men. They are NBA players, which makes them better than many international competitors, but none of them are even threatening to become a starter.
    • As for the superstar, Andrew Wiggins still can't shoot from distance. He's an athletic freak and is getting 20 ppg in the NBA, which is pretty great, but expectations that he would become one of the 10-15 elite players in the NBA have not been met, at least not yet. It is still early, but I expected a bit more from him.
    • And then there are the kids still in college. Jamaal Murray figures to be a lottery pick after this season. He may be the third best freshman in basketball this season. Kyle Wiltjer is living up to his All-American hype, though the NBA seems to think his lack of athleticism will hurt him at the next level.

Bottom line, it hasn't been a great season thus far for the development of Canada's young core of players. On the plus side, most of the team seems like it will miss the NBA playoffs or be eliminated early (other than TT) so they will have time to rest and then play together a bit ahead of the July qualifying tournament. I wonder if they will get Murray onto the team. He's young but he really has potential to be a major player for them.

-Jason "Olynyk, TT, Wiggins, and Lyles are a fine front line, but Murray needs to develop to help the backcourt and they could really use more outside shooting. That's what Stauskas is supposed to do" Evans
    Canada does seem to be taking steps to compete internationally, especially with all of the work put in last summer, but you are right about their in season development being key. I would operate under the assumption that Murray will not be available this summer given draft promixity, so maybe they would line up something like this:

Joseph, Ennis
    Stauskas, Heslip (he can shoot), Hanlan
    Wiggins, Bennett
    Thompson, Nicholson
    Olynyk, Powell, Sacre

That's a super young team still, so some of the veterans like Rautins, English, Shepard, Doornekamp, Anderson, or Kendall could fight their way in the picture. I doubt Dalembert would show up, but Anthony is always waiting for the call. Apparently he really wanted to show up last summer but they would not let him. Some other younger names that people might have forgotten who could get involved include Pangos, Scrubb, and Ejim. The depth and experience of the team is being built well over time by their staff.

This group probably will be the most affected by players not showing up. France is more reliant on NBA players than any other team in Europe.

I'm sure it's just wishful thinking, but I have to wonder what a Steve Nash with hopefully a well rested and healthy body now might bring to that Canadian squad.

http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/0...f:nbcnews:text

Hiroshi Hoketsu (Duke '68) will not compete in Rio due to his horse not feeling well. He would have set the record as the oldest Olympian. I hope his horse gets to feeling better and he tries for 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    http://olympics.nbcsports.com/2016/0...f:nbcnews:text

Hiroshi Hoketsu (Duke '68) will not compete in Rio due to his horse not feeling well. He would have set the record as the oldest Olympian. I hope his horse gets to feeling better and he tries for 2020.
    He must ride Mr. Ed.

Oooops, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    He must ride Mr. Ed.

Oooops, sorry.
    Of course!

Is it bad that I had forgotten that I had ever started this thread? I would have posted a lot more stuff here recently if I had remembered that I already started it.

I think there is also one for Duke Olympians in sports other than Men's Basketball floating around there somewhere.

FIBA is not going to punish any of the teams, so everybody should be good to go. As usual, player absences are the big story early.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Here is the breakdown:
    Belgrade: A: Serbia, Angola, Puerto Rico B: Japan, Czech Republic, Latvia
    Manila: A: Turkey, Senegal, Canada B: France, New Zealand, Philippines
    Torino: A: Greece, Mexico, Iran B: Tunisia, Croatia, Italy
    These OQTs begin Monday.

It would be a shocker if Serbia doesn't make it to Rio out of Belgrade.

As you mentioned, awhom, one of France or Canada will not make it to Rio. I'm guessing France will win in Manila to qualify.

For Torino, I'm guessing Italy and Greece in the Final, with Italy advancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    These OQTs begin Monday.

It would be a shocker if Serbia doesn't make it to Rio out of Belgrade.

As you mentioned, awhom, one of France or Canada will not make it to Rio. I'm guessing France will win in Manila to qualify.

For Torino, I'm guessing Italy and Greece in the Final, with Italy advancing.
    ESPN3 is currently listing the semifinals and finals of these tournaments next weekend on their upcoming schedule.

Two of the Final Olympics Qualifying Tournaments started today.

In Belgrade, the day started in Group B, where Latvia beat Japan 88-48 and the Czech Republic had the day off. Hosts Serbia kicked off Group A play as Angola had the day off and used a strong performance in the middle quarters to beat Puerto Rico 87-81. Ex-NBA player Nemanja Nedovic had 14 points, Nikola Jokic had 12 points and 8 rebounds after his productive NBA season, and former draft pick Bogdan Bogdanovic had 12 points and 7 rebounds. Puerto Rico made two changes after Centrobasket and were able to call on another NBA player as John Holland had 21 points alongside J.J. Barea's 10 points. Ex-NBA player Peter John Ramos had 10 points and 7 rebounds and ex-Virginia Tech player A.D. Vassallo had 10 points.
    Boxscores:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqt/serbia/2016/...ore_statistics

In Turin, Group A opened with Greece beating Iran 78-53 as Mexico had the first day off. Giannis Antetokounmpo is expected to take a bigger role and had 16 points in the win while the other current NBA player Kosta Koufos had 10 points. In the loss, ex-NBA player Hamed Haddadi had 16 points. Hosts Italy broke open the first Group B game against Tunisia with a huge third quarter to win 68-41 as Croatia got the day off. Italy has been looking forward to having a strong roster for a while and Andrea Bargnani had 15 points and 6 rebounds and Marco Belinelli had 11 points. Tunisia struggled with their star injured.
    Boxscores:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqt/italy/2016/0...ore_statistics

Here are the rosters of the three tournaments:

Angola:
    Gerson Domingos, Interclube (Angola)
    Gerson Goncalves, Petroleos (Angola)
    Carlos Morais, Libolo (Angola), Community Christian (Georgia)
    Hermenegildo Santos, Primeiro de Agosto (Angola)
    Leonel Paulo, Petroleos (Angola)
    Silvio Sousa, Montverde Academy (Florida)
    Bruno Fernandes, Montverde Academy (Florida)
    Felizardo Ambrosio, Primeiro de Agosto (Angola)
    Islando Manuel, Primeiro de Agosto (Angola)
    Edson Ndoniema, Primeiro de Agosto (Angola)
    Valdelicio Joaquim, Libolo (Angola), Hawaii
    Reggie Moore, Petroleos (Angola), Oral Roberts

Puerto Rico:
    Ramon Clemente, Ferro Carril Oeste (Argentina)/Mayaguez Indians (Puerto Rico), Wichita State
    Guillermo Diaz, Arecibo Captains (Puerto Rico), Miami and NBA (2007-2008)
    J.J. Barea, Dallas Mavericks, Northeastern
    Carlos Arroyo, Barcelona (Spain), Florida International and NBA (2001-2011)
    A.D. Vassallo, Ponce Lions (Puerto Rico), Virginia Tech
    Jorge Bryan Diaz, Quebradillas Pirates (Puerto Rico), Nebraska
    Ricky Sanchez, Guayama Wizards (Puerto Rico), IMG Academy (Florida)
    Renaldo Balkman, Arecibo Captains (Puerto Rico), South Carolina and NBA (2006-2012)
    Alex Galindo, Mayaguez Indians (Puerto Rico), Florida International
    John Holland, Boston Celtics, Boston University
    David Huertas, Arecibo Captains (Puerto Rico), Ole Miss
    Peter John Ramos, Jilin (China)/Bayamon Cowboys (Puerto Rico), NBA (2004-2006)

Serbia:
    Milos Teodosic, CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Marko Simonovic, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
    Nemanja Dangubic, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia), Drafted 54th in 2014 by Philadelphia 76ers with rights currently held by San Antonio Spurs
    Bogdan Bogdanovic, Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey), Drafted 27th in 2013 by Phoenix Suns with rights currently held by Sacramento Kings
    Stefan Markovic, Malaga (Spain)
    Nikola Kalinic, Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)
    Nemanja Nedovic, Malaga (Spain), NBA (2013-2014)
    Stefan Bircevic, Estudiantes (Spain)
    Miroslav Raduljica, Panathinaikos (Greece), NBA (2013-2015)
    Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
    Vladimir Stimac, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia)
    Stefan Jovic, Red Star Belgade (Serbia)

Czech Republic:
    Petr Benda, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Patrik Auda, Manresa (Spain), Seton Hall
    Pavel Pumperla, Estudiantes (Spain)
    Vojtech Hruban, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Tomas Satoransky, Barcelona (Spain), Drafted 32nd in 2012 by Washington Wizards
    Jiri Welsch, Nymburk (Czech Republic), NBA (2002-2006)
    Pavel Houska, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Lukas Palyza, Prostejov (Czech Republic)
    Jakub Sirina, Opava (Czech Republic)
    Blake Schilb, Galatasaray (Turkey), Loyola (IL)
    Jan Vesely, Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey), NBA (2011-2014)
    Martin Kriz, Nymburk (Czech Republic)

Japan:
    Yuta Tabuse, Brex (Japan), BYU-Hawaii and NBA (2004-2005)
    Naoto Tsuji, Brave Thunders (Japan)
    Makota Hiejima, Seahorses (Japan)
    Atsuya Ota, Phoenix (Japan)
    Kosuke Takeuchi, Dragonflies (Japan)
    Ryoma Hashimoto, Seahorses (Japan)
    Yuta Watanabe, George Washington
    Joji Takeuchi, Sun Rockers (Japan)
    Keijuro Matsui, Alvark (Japan), Columbia
    Takatoshi Furukawa, Brex (Japan)
    Ryumo Ono, Jets (Japan)
    Kenta Hirose, Sun Rockers (Japan)

Latvia:
    Mareks Mejeris, VEF Riga (Latvia)
    Janis Blums, Avellino (Italy)
    Janis Berzins, VEF Riga (Latvia)
    Dairis Bertans, Bilbao (Spain)
    Janis Timma, Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia), Drafted 60th in 2013 by Memphis Grizzlies with rights currently held by Orlando Magic
    Janis Strelnieks, Bamberg (Germany)
    Kaspars Berzins, Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)
    Ojars Silins, Reggiana (Italy)
    Aigars Skele, Valmiera (Lativa)
    Anzejs Pasecniks, Gran Canaria (Spain)
    Martins Meiers, VEF Riga (Latvia)
    Ingus Jakovics, VEF Riga (Latvia)

Greece:
    Giannis Athinaiou, Olympiakos (Greece)
    Nick Calathes, Panathinaikos (Greece), Florida and NBA (2013-2015)
    Ioannis Bourousis, Saski Baskonia (Spain)
    Evangelos Mantzaris, Olympiakos (Greece)
    Dimitris Agravanis, Olympiakos (Greece), Drafted 59th in 2015 by Atlanta Hawks
    Ioannis Papapetrou, Olympiakos (Greece), Texas
    Vassilis Charalampopoulos, Panathinaikos (Greece)
    Georgios Bogris, Bilbao (Spain)
    Stratos Perperoglou, Barcelona (Spain)
    Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
    Kostas Koufos, Sacramento Kings
    Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Westchester Knicks (D League)

Iran:
    Adnan Doraghi, Gorgan (Iran)
    Sajjad Mashayekhi, Chemidor (Iran)
    Farid Aslani, Chemidor (Iran)
    Hassanzadeh Mohammed, Sanat Naft Abadan (Iran)
    Behnam Yakhchali, Petrochimi (Iran)
    Arman Zangeneh, Petrochimi (Iran)
    Amir Sedighi, Chemidor (Iran)
    Oshin Sahakian, Chemidor (Iran)
    Asghar Kardoust, Arak (Iran)
    Mohammed Jamshidi, Sanat Naft Abadan (Iran)
    Arsalan Kazemi, club unknown, USC and drafted 54th in 2013 by Washington Wizards before rights were traded to Philadelphia 76ers
    Hamed Haddadi, Sichuan (China)/Petrochimi (Iran), NBA (2008-2013)

Mexico:
    Paul Stoll, Avtodor Saratov (Russia), Texas Pan-American
    Marco Ramos, Halcones Rojos de Veracruz (Mexico), Grand Canyon
    Juan Anderson, Soles de Mexicali (Mexico), Marquette
    Jorge Gutierrez, Charlotte Hornets, Cal
    Israel Gutierrez, Halcones Rojos de Veracruz (Mexico)/Boca Juniors (Argentina)
    Francisco Cruz, VEF Riga (Latvia), Wyoming
    Gabriel Giron, Fuerza Regia de Monterrey (Mexico)
    Edgar Garibay, Nauticos de Mazatlan (Mexico), Long Beach State
    Hector Hernandez, Pioneros de Quintana Roo (Mexico)/Bucaneros de la Guaira (Venezuela), Fresno State
    Orlando Mendez, Pioneros de Quintana Roo (Mexico), Western Kentucky
    Lorenzo Mata, Pioneros de Quintana Roo (Mexico), UCLA
    Adrian Zamora, Halcones Rojos de Veracruz (Mexico), Montana State

Croatia:
    Luka Babic, Cedevita (Croatia)
    Filip Kruslin, Cibona (Croatia)
    Rok Stipcevic, Dinamo Sassari (Italy)
    Krunoslav Simon, Olimpia Milano (Italy)
    Mario Hezonja, Orlando Magic
    Dario Saric, Anadolu Efes (Turkey), Drafted 12th in 2014 by Orlando Magic with rights currently held by Philadelphia 76ers
    Roko Ukic, Cantu (Italy), NBA (2008-2010)
    Darko Planinic, Saski Baskonia (Spain)
    Miro Bilan, Cedevita (Croatia)
    Zeljko Sakic, Academic (Bulgaria)
    Marko Arapovic, Cedevita (Croatia)
    Bojan Bogdanovic, Brooklyn Nets

Italy:
    Giuseppe Poeta, Trento (Italy)
    Marco Belinelli, Sacramento Kings
    Pietro Aradori, Reggiana (Italy)
    Alessandro Gentile, Olimpia Milano (Italy), Drafted 53rd in 2014 by Minnesota Timberwolves with rights currently held by Houston Rockets
    Andrea Bargnani, Brooklyn Nets
    Danilo Gallinari, Denver Nuggets
    Nicolo Melli, Bamberg (Germany)
    Marco Cusin, Cremona (Italy)
    Luigi Datome, Fenerbahce Ulker (Istanbul), NBA (2013-2015)
    Riccardo Cervi, Avellino (Italy)
    Daniel Hackett, Olympiakos (Greece), USC
    Stefano Tonut, Reyer Venezia (Italy)

Tunisia:
    Omar Mouhli, Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
    Ziyed Chennoufi, Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
    Mehdi Seyeh, Etoile du Sahel (Tunisia)
    Omar Abada, Rades (Tunisia)
    Mourad El Mabrouk, Club Africain (Tunisia)
    Mokhtar Ghyaza, Club Africain (Tunisia)
    Michael Roll, Buyukcekmece (Turkey)/Saski Baskonia (Spain), UCLA
    Firas Lahyani, Monastir (Tunisia)
    Mohamed Abbassi, Rades (Tunisia)
    Nizar Knioua, Stade Nabeulien (Tunisia)
    Hamdi Braa, Sporting (Egypt)
    Makram Ben Romdhane, Rades (Tunisia)

Canada:
    Philip Scrubb, Frankfurt (Germany) on loan from AEK Athens (Greece), Carleton (CIS)
    Shai Alexander, Hamilton Heights Christian Academy (Tennessee), Committed to Florida
    Cory Joseph, Toronto Raptors, Texas
    Melvin Ejim, Reyer Venezia (Italy), Iowa State
    Thomas Scrubb, Kataja (Finland), Carleton (CIS)
    Khem Birch, Usak (Turkey), UNLV
    Anthony Bennett, Toronto Raptors, UNLV
    Tyler Ennis, Milwaukee Bucks, Syracuse
    Brady Heslip, Cantu (Italy), Baylor
    Tristan Thompson, Cleveland Cavaliers, Texas
    Levon Kendall, Estudiantes (Spain), Pitt
    Joel Anthony, Detroit Pistons, UNLV

Senegal:
    Maurice Ndour, Real Madrid (Spain), Ohio
    El Hadji Ndiaye, Stade Gabesien (Tunisia)
    Thierno Niang, Al Geish Army (Egypt), Wisconsin-Milwaukee
    Louis Adams, Douane (Senegal), South Carolina State
    Ibrahima Thomas, Caceres (Spain), Cincinnati
    Antoine Mendy, Orleans (France)
    Maleye Ndoye, Paris-Levallois (France), Furman
    Cheikh Mbodj, Czarni Slupsk (Poland), Cincinnati
    Clevin Hannah, Bilbao (Spain), Wichita State
    Serigne Gueye, Saint-Louis (Senegal)
    Hamady Ndiaye, Hertzeliya (Israel), Rutgers and NBA (2001-2014)
    Abdoulaye Ndoye, Elan Chalon (France)

Turkey:
    Ender Arslan, Darussafaka (Turkey)
    Omer Asik, New Orleans Pelicans
    Sinan Guler, Galatasaray (Turkey), Carroll (NAIA)
    Cedi Osman, Anadolu Efes (Turkey), Drafted 31st in 2015 by Minnesota Timberwolves with rights currently held by Cleveland Cavaliers
    Semih Erden, Darussafaka (Turkey), NBA (2010-2012)
    Melih Mahmutoglu, Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)
    Oguz Savas, Darussafaka (Turkey)
    Samet Geyik, Karsiyaka (Turkey) on loan from Darussafaka (Turkey)
    Ali Muhammed (Bobby Dixon), Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey), Troy
    Birkan Batuk, Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    Furkan Korkmaz, Anadolu Efes (Turkey), Drafted 26th in 2016 by Philadelphia 76ers
    Kenan Sipahi, Karsiyaka (Turkey) on loan from Fenerbahce Ulker (Turkey)

France:
    Thomas Heurtel, Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    Nicolas Batum, Charlotte Hornets
    Antoine Diot, Valencia (Spain)
    Joffrey Lauvergne, Denver Nuggets
    Charles Kahudi, ASVEL (France)
    Tony Parker, San Antonio Spurs
    Florent Pietrus, SLUC Nancy (France)
    Nando De Colo, CSKA Moscow (Russia), NBA (2012-2014)
    Boris Diaw, San Antonio Spurs
    Mickael Gelabale, Le Mans Sarthe (France), NBA (2006-2008 and 2012-2013)
    Kim Tillie, Saski Baskonia (Spain), Utah
    Adrian Moerman, Bandirma (Turkey)

New Zealand:
    Tai Webster, Nebraska
    Shea Ili, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Wellington Saints (New Zealand)
    Everard Bartlett, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Southland Sharks (New Zealand), Wasatch Academy (Utah)
    Mika Vukona, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Waitakere Rangers (New Zealand)
    Derone Raukawa, Southland Sharks (New Zealand)
    Corey Webster, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Koroivos (Greece)/Waitakere Rangers (New Zealand), Lambuth (NAIA)
    Tom Abercrombie, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Karsiyaka (Turkey), Washington State
    BJ Anthony, Wellington Saints (New Zealand)
    Isaac Fotu, Zaragoza (Spain), Hawaii
    Rob Loe, Limburg United (Belgium), Saint Louis
    Jordan Ngatai, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Taranaki Mountain Airs (New Zealand), BYU Hawaii (DII)
    Michael Karena, Wright State/Canterbury Rams (New Zealand)

Philippines:
    Andray Blatche, Xinjiang (China), South Kent (Connecticut) and NBA (2005-2014)
    Terrence Romeo, GlobalPort Batang Pier (Philippines)
    Bobby Ray Parks, Texas Legends (D League), Melrose (Tennessee)
    Jeff Chan, Rain or Shine Elasto Painters (Philippines)
    Jayson Castro, Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters (Philippines)
    Gabe Norwood, Rain or Shine Elasto Painters (Philippines), George Mason
    Ryan Reyes, Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters (Philippines), Cal State Fullerton
    June Mar Fajardo, San Miguel Beermen (Philippines)
    Marc Pingris, Star Hot Shots (Philippines)
    Troy Rosario, Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters (Philippines)
    Japeth Aguilar, Barangay San Miguel (Philippines), Western Kentucky
    Ranidel de Ocampo, Talk 'N Text Tropang Texters (Philippines)

The last of the Final Olympics Qualifying Tournaments started today in Manila. Group A play started with Canada beating Turkey 77-69 and Senegal getting the day off. Canada was concerned that they would have to field a very weak lineup, but the late-arriving cavalry helped out as Cory Joseph had 21 points and Tristan Thompson had 10 points and 6 rebounds. In the loss, ex-NAIA player Sinan Guler had 14 points and former draft pick Cedi Osman had 10 points. France got absolutely everything that they could handle from the hosts, but managed the 93-84 Group B win as New Zealand had the day off. France had to hold a roster spot open for their star, but the backcourt led the way in the win as Nando De Colo had 27 points and 6 rebounds and Tony Parker had 21 points and 6 assists with ex-Utah player Kim Tillie and Joffrey Lauvergne adding 10 points each. As expected, naturalized player Andray Blatche was the key for the Philippines as he had 21 points and 8 rebounds.
    Boxscores:
    http://www.fiba.com/oqt/philippines/...ore_statistics

In Belgrade, Puerto Rico had a good start against Angola in Group A, but had to hold on to win 91-81 to give themselves a good shot at the semifinals. Their trio with NBA experience was key again as J.J. Barea had 18 points and 7 assists, Carlos Arroyo had 18 points, and John Holland had 11 points. In the loss, Carlos Morais, who went to high school in Georgia had 21 points and naturalized ex-Oral Roberts player Reggie Moore had 17 points and 6 rebounds as a younger than usual Angola squad will need to beat the hosts to have any chance of advancing. The Czech Republic started their tournament well in Group B, but Latvia dominated the rest of the game to win 71-59 and clinch the top spot in the group for semifinals as former draft pick Janis Timma had 13 points. In the loss, naturalized ex-Loyola (IL) player Blake Schilb had 10 points and 7 rebounds and Jan Vesely had 10 points. The winner of tomorrow's game between the Czech Republic and Japan will also advance.
    Boxscores:

In Turin, Mexico made their Group A debut, just edging Iran 75-70 to clinch a spot in the semifinals. In the win, ex-Wyoming player Francisco Cruz had 18 points and Jorge Gutierrez had 15 points as the team had to deal with the absence of their other star and named an unchanged side from Centrobasket. Both Mexico and Greece will advance, but their game tomorrow will determine placement. Croatia also made their debut against the hosts in Group B, but could not keep up late and lost 67-60. Marco Belinelli led Italy with 19 points and Danilo Gallinari and ex-USC player Daniel Hacket each had 12 points and 8 rebounds as they advance to the semifinals as group winners. In the loss, Bojan Bogdanovic had 26 points and 6 rebounds and former draft pick and likely inbound NBA player Dario Saric had 11 points and 10 rebounds.
    Boxscores:

France got absolutely everything that they could handle from the hosts, but managed the 93-84 Group B win as New Zealand had the day off. France had to hold a roster spot open for their star, but the backcourt led the way in the win as Nando De Colo had 27 points and 6 rebounds and Tony Parker had 21 points and 6 assists with ex-Utah player Kim Tillie and Joffrey Lauvergne adding 10 points each. As expected, naturalized player Andray Blatche was the key for the Philippines as he had 21 points and 8 rebounds.
    Boxscore:
    I'm guessing you are talking about Nicholas Batum, who supposedly rushed to get to Manilla for this tournament after signing his massive 5-year, $120 mil contract with the Hornets. I guess he did not get there in time because he did not play in game one. With him, France will have the best player on the floor in all their games (because most of Canada's best NBAers decided not to play for the national team) and that is a big deal in the game of basketball. I agree with your earlier pick of France as the team that will come out of this group. I wonder though, if Canada does make it out, would Wiggins, Lyles, Murray, Nicholson and others opt to play in the actual Olympics?

-Jason "seems there is a real lack of commitment to the national team from the Canadians" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm guessing you are talking about Nicholas Batum, who supposedly rushed to get to Manilla for this tournament after signing his massive 5-year, $120 mil contract with the Hornets. I guess he did not get there in time because he did not play in game one. With him, France will have the best player on the floor in all their games (because most of Canada's best NBAers decided not to play for the national team) and that is a big deal in the game of basketball. I agree with your earlier pick of France as the team that will come out of this group. I wonder though, if Canada does make it out, would Wiggins, Lyles, Murray, Nicholson and others opt to play in the actual Olympics?

-Jason "seems there is a real lack of commitment to the national team from the Canadians" Evans
    If France makes it out, they'll add rim-protecting stud Gorbert to the team as well. They might be the USA's biggest threat in Rio, but they have to qualify first. That France-Canada matchup in the OQT final, if it happens, will be very interesting and high-stakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    He must ride Mr. Ed.

Oooops, sorry.
    Willllllll-burrrrrr!

Olympic qualifying action started in Manila again. Canada wins group A, but they had a tough time with a Senegal team that found a naturalized player to shore up their suspect backcourt for their first game, but was still missing its star in a 58-55 final. Cory Joseph led the way again with 13 points, Tyler Ennis had 12 points, and ex-Iowa State player Melvin Ejim added 11 points and 8 rebounds. In the loss, ex-Ohio player Maurice Ndour had 16 points and 10 rebounds and naturalized ex-Wichita State player Clevin Hannah had 13 points. Senegal and Turkey play tomorrow for the last spot in the semifinals. The Philippines could not maintain their momentum against a fresh New Zealand team marking their Group B debut with an 89-80 win. In the win, the Webster brothers could not be stopped as Tai from Nebraska and 25 points and 11 rebounds and ex-NAIA player Corey had 23 points with ex-Hawaii player Isaac Fotu chipping in 17 points and ex-Washington State player Tom Abercrombie adding 13 points and 7 rebounds. Andray Blatche had 30 points and 7 rebounds, but it was not enough.
    Boxscores:

In Belgrade, Serbia started the day by winning Group A after beating Angola 83-60 to keep the home fans happy. Nikola Jokic continues to emerge as he had 17 points and 6 rebounds, ex-NBA player Miroslav Raduljica had 13 points, and former draft pick Bogdan Bogdanovic had 12 points and 8 assists. Naturalized ex-Oral Roberts player Reggie Moore had 10 points as the Angolans were eliminated. The Czech Republic took care of business against Japan 87-71 to also move on from Group B as incoming NBA player Tomas Satoransky had 11 points and 7 assists. Yuta Watanabe of George Washington had 10 points and 7 rebounds in the loss as Japan was eliminated, but hopes to be showing enough signs of improvement to take their place as hosts in four years.
    Boxscores:
    Standings:
    Group A: Serbia 2-0, Puerto Rico 1-1, Angola 0-2
    Group B: Latvia 2-0, Czech Republic 1-1, Japan 0-2

In Turin, Greece controlled the second half against Mexico to take the top spot in Group A with an 86-70 win as both teams advance to the semifinals. Both Antetokounmpo brothers contributed as Giannis had 21 points and Thanasis had 12 points. In the loss, ex-Wyoming player Francisco Cruz had 19 points, ex-Fresno State player Hector Hernandez had 14 points and 7 rebounds, and their only NBA player Jorge Gutierrez had 10 points. Croatia had a tough start against Tunisia, but eventually pulled away to win 72-52 and advance from Group B. Bojan Bogdanovic had 25 points and a player who might join him in the NBA next year in Dario Saric added 11 points and 9 rebounds. Naturalized ex-UCLA player Michael Roll had 21 points and 6 rebounds in the loss as the team had no chance without its star.
    Boxscores:
    Standings:
    Group A: Greece 2-0, Mexico 1-1, Iran 0-2
    Group B: Italy 2-0, Croatia 1-1, Tunisia 0-2

Batum was there, but he is still in street clothes until the moratorium ends and the ink dries on his contract so that insurance can be secured. He is expected to play on Saturday.

If Canada makes it, I think all of the players with valid excuses will probably be allowed to join. Those would be people like Murray, Hanlan, Lyles, Nicholson, Powell, Sacre, and Olynyk if he is healthy. Some of those guys would probably have to prove themselves against members of the current team, but have generally built up a reasonable amount of equity in the program. I have no idea if Wiggins actually wants to play, but that would be a tough test for Steve Nash. Ultimately, the loss to Venezuela last summer was very costly. People more on the borderline with no excuses like Pangos and Stauskas (who I would not pick ahead of Heslip no matter how much taller and more athletic he is) are probably out of the picture.

With the other two tournaments taking a day off, all focus was on Manila. Group A finished with a game for the last spot in the semifinals, starting slowly before Turkey took the lead and beat Senegal 68-62. Naturalized ex-Troy player Bobby Dixon, who adopted the name Ali Muhammed to comply with Turkish citizenship law, found some rhythm with 23 points and 7 rebounds and ex-NBA player Semih Erden added 14 points and 11 rebounds. In the loss, ex-Furman player Maleye Ndoye had 15 points and 9 rebounds and ex-Ohio player Maurice Ndour had 14 points and 11 rebounds. The game for the spot in Group B started with New Zealand stifling France early before the favorites rallied in the fourth quarter to win 66-59. France's backcourt struggled mightily as ex-NBA player Mickael Gelabale had 11 points, Boris Diaw had 10 points and 6 rebounds, and ex-Utah player Kim Tillie had 10 points. Ex-NAIA player Corey Webster managed to shoot his team in and out of the game as he finished with 21 points.
    Boxscores:
    Standings:
    Group A: Canada 2-0, Turkey 1-1, Senegal 0-2
    Group B: France 2-0, New Zealand 1-1, Philippines 0-2

The remaining games will all be on ESPN3 (times ET):

Turin:
    Greece vs Croatia, 10:30am Friday
    Italy vs Mexico, 3:00pm Friday
    Final, 3:00pm Saturday

Belgrade:
    Latvia vs Puerto Rico, 12:00pm Friday
    Serbia vs Czech Republic, 3:00pm Friday

Manila:
    Canada vs New Zealand, 6:30am Saturday
    France vs Turkey, 9:00am Saturday
    Final, 9:00am Sunday

The remaining games will all be on ESPN3 (times ET):

Turin:
    Greece vs Croatia, 10:30am Friday
    Italy vs Mexico, 3:00pm Friday

Belgrade:
    Latvia vs Puerto Rico, 12:00pm Friday
    Serbia vs Czech Republic, 3:00pm Friday

Manila:
    Canada vs New Zealand, 6:30am Saturday
    France vs Turkey, 9:00am Saturday
    Final, 9:00am Sunday
    Whoa, Croatia pulled off the upset. That means no Olympics for Giannis, his brother, and the rest of the Greeks. Giannis was only 3-14 and 0-7 from three in this game.

The day's semifinals started in Turin, where Croatia jetted out a huge lead against Greece, giving it all away before rallying to win 66-61. Bojan Bogdanovic continued his strong tournament with 20 points and the possible inbound NBA player Dario Saric added 16 points and 8 rebounds. Hosts Italy eventually pulled away from Mexico 79-54. Danilo Gallinari had 15 points and Marco Belinelli had 12 points. In the loss, ex-Wyoming player Francisco Cruz finished a productive summer with 20 points and 7 rebounds.
    Boxscores:

Meanwhile, in Belgrade, the day started out in exciting fashion as Puerto Rico edged Latvia 77-70 in a game that was close throughout. The star trio carried the team again as John Holland had 15 points, J.J. Barea had 14 points and 7 rebounds, and Carlos Arroyo had 14 points. Ex-South Carolina player Renaldo Balkman added 12 points and 10 rebounds and ex-Nebraska player Jorge Bryan Diaz chipped in 10 points. Former draft pick Janis Timma had 16 points and 8 rebounds as the team cannot help but wonder about their chances with their missing players. Hosts Serbia took care of business and beat the Czech Republic 96-72. Former draft pick Bogdan Bogdanovic had 21 points and 8 rebounds, Nikola Jokic had 19 points and 8 rebounds, and former NBA player Miroslav Raduljica had 12 points and 6 assists. In the loss, incoming NBA player Tomas Satoransky had 14 points, 7 rebounds, and 7 assists as he got some help from former NBA players with Jan Vesely providing 12 points and Jiri Welsch adding 10 points as ex-Seton Hall player Patrik Auda also provided 10 points.
    Boxscores:

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Whoa, Croatia pulled off the upset. That means no Olympics for Giannis, his brother, and the rest of the Greeks. Giannis was only 3-14 and 0-7 from three in this game.
    I would only consider it a mild upset. With the way Bogdanovic has been shooting, the slightly more costly absences for Croatia were not a factor and in some cases may have helped the team. Greece really missed some of their players.

I would only consider it a mild upset. With the way Bogdanovic has been shooting, the slightly more costly absences for Croatia were not a factor and in some cases may have helped the team. Greece really missed some of their players.
    Having thought about it more, I agree. I was worried about Croatia's PG play, but it's not like Calathes is great. And Croatia was able to hold their own on the boards with Greece's big men.

Croatia has some talent at the 2-3-4. If today's final weren't in Italy, I'd probably pick Croatia to win.