Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

MBB: Northwestern 65, Wisconsin 56; Collins win a tough road game

Still building on a 15 point lead vs. No. 13 (though still overranked) Wisconsin, with under 4:00 to go. More impressive is that it's at the Kohl Center, where Bucky almost never loses.

Why couldn't this post wait until 30 seconds left?
    That's 5 straight points for Bucky

Come on bro!!! There is another jynx free thread.

15-point lead down to ten, and fading fast.

Like clockwork.

Wisconsin now getting Dean Dome comeback no-calls. Think there were three separate Wisconsin tackles on that last possession.

Well.

I'm actually upset that this thread exists.

Oh, c'mon, y'all.

Get a little backbone. Enjoy a nice upset. It's over.

I notice you were silent as Bucky made their run.

20 Minutes From The Heaven That Is Cameron Indoor
    Congrats to Chris. Well done buddy. Big win!

Northwestern's first win at Kohl Center since 1996

I can't imagine how Chris must feel right now. Good on ya.

Collins has his team believing. They are playing well right now.

With tonight's win, northwestern moves into sixth place in the Big Integer.

We all knew this was coming.

Sure we did.

Wow, What a great first season Coach Collins is having at NU. I don't think anybody expected a .500 season in the toughest conference in basketball with the type of talent on that roster. He's really getting the most out of the talent that he has, and doing a nice job recruiting as well. If he keeps this up and builds NU into a real contender in the B10, I gotta imagine he will be on the short list for the Duke job when it becomes available.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    With tonight's win, northwestern moves into sixth place in the Big Integer. ...
    That places them in the top half? Top 1/3? Top 1/4? Its tough to keep track.

Just for fun, I watched a couple Collins press conferences last night. I came away even more impressed. This guy is going places. People will buy what he's selling.

With Chris's Chicago upbringing and background, maybe this IS where he wants to go -- and stay -- to create and then sustain a program and legacy of his own.

As a coach, would you rather have been John Wooden at UCLA, or the many coaches succeeeding him trying desperately and often impossibly to uphold the expectations of the local press and the fans? Evanston is a very nice place too (besides the winter weather, of course...)

But time will tell. Remember Quin Snider made a big splash at Mizzou his first year or two, and his career has taken some interesting twists since. But I'm very pleased at how year one is turning out for Chris. And indeed, before long many more established programs may come calling for his services. He waited a long time to take a coaching job, however, and ended up choosing NW. It may be his dream job.

Quote Originally Posted by Henderson View Post
    Just for fun, I watched a couple Collins press conferences last night. I came away even more impressed. This guy is going places. People will buy what he's selling.
    Could you see Chris Collins as one of the top four or five candidates to succeed Coach K at Duke? I can. GoDuke!

I see kAzE has the same thoughts. I didn't look close at all the posts, my bad. GoDuke!
    Last edited by jv001; 01-30-2014 at 11:08 AM. Reason: i was a dummy

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Could you see Chris Collins as one of the top four or five candidates to succeed Coach K at Duke? I can. GoDuke!

I see kAzE has the same thoughts. I didn't look close at all the posts, my bad. GoDuke!
    Top four or five? Try top 2-3 (who have a Duke pedigree). Unfortunately, I don't see Johnny Dawkins as a candidate, especially with how Stanford is coming along and his so-so recruiting efforts. Mike Brey is a choice, but he also isn't great at recruiting and his teams are rarely, if ever, in the top 10. Amaker is doing wonders at Harvard, but the Ivys are a completely different ballgame than the BCS schools.

I would like to see Capel get another gig. He is great at recruiting and got a raw deal at Okla, IMO. Collins is doing a fantastic job thus far in only half a season (recruiting and changing the culture).

All in all, no one is ready yet. I think in 3-4 years, we'll have a much better understanding of the landscape (and closer to K's retirement).
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club