Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by blazindw View Post
    The USA Women's soccer match against Russia that was supposed to be on Wednesday at the Georgia Dome has been postponed to Thursday. Not sure if the Hawks are playing on Wednesday or Thursday, but I expect that to be affected as well as the Hawks-Pistons game was during the aftermath of the storm a couple weeks ago.
    If anything, Atlanta roads will be worse on Thursday than on Wednesday. I doubt if that game will be played this week.

Quote Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
    They are calling for a major ice storm in Atlanta on Wednesday, with widespread power outages. With my luck, power will go out around 8:59pm.
    I am fully prepared for this storm in every way except that one. I honestly don't know what I would do. I guess I will just have my iPad ready with a full charge and stream the game on cellular data if I have to (hello, overage charges).

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    I am fully prepared for this storm in every way except that one. I honestly don't know what I would do. I guess I will just have my iPad ready with a full charge and stream the game on cellular data if I have to (hello, overage charges).
    To save $$ I only have the Wi-Fi connection for my iPad and did not buy a data plan. If the power goes that takes out the router, which means watching the game on the iPhone.

As you anticipated yesterday, if tomorrow is anywhere near as bad as they are forecasting Atlanta is closing up shop until next week.

Quote Originally Posted by wilson View Post
    If anything, Atlanta roads will be worse on Thursday than on Wednesday. I doubt if that game will be played this week.
    That was my thought as well...wouldn't be surprised to see it canceled altogether.
    Check out the Duke Basketball Roundup!

2003-2004 HLM
    Duke | Mirecourt | Detroit| The U | USA

We have decided to stay here for a couple
    of extra days! GTHc! 9F!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Winter storm 'could be even worse' than 2000 storm that left thousands in dark for days
    http://www.ajc.com/news/news/local/o...icting-/ndKdT/

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...pare-snow.html

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    We have decided to stay here for a couple
    of extra days! GTHc! 9F!
    Gee, I am only 15 miles north and it is 83 at 3:10. Must be cold down there in Fort Lauderdale.

I will not mock because I know that means a ginormous earthquake will hit and send CA into the Pacific shortly thereafter.

Here in Asheville, expecting 6 to 10 inches tomorrow. There is snow denying it. It's snow laughing matter around here the way these nuts drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Here in Asheville, expecting 6 to 10 inches tomorrow. There is snow denying it. It's snow laughing matter around here the way these nuts drive.
    Be careful! In Atlanta, if you slide off the road you end up in a ditch. The "ditches" in Asheville are a little deeper.

We're all eyeing the progress if this storm as it begins to climb up the coast. Nothing compared to what our Midwestern pals have dealt with but plenty of excitement in store for us in the DCMDVA. Pleeeeeeeze, no icing!

Dev11 is offline Commissioner of Statistics, DBR Podcast
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    We're all eyeing the progress if this storm as it begins to climb up the coast. Nothing compared to what our Midwestern pals have dealt with but plenty of excitement in store for us in the DCMDVA. Pleeeeeeeze, no icing!
    Just make sure the airports are up and running by Thursday night, so I can make it to DC that night then make it to Durham Saturday. If I don't get to give the Terps a final Jeff Orr farewell, I'm going to be a sad Dev11.

Quote Originally Posted by Dev11 View Post
    Just make sure the airports are up and running by Thursday night, so I can make it to DC that night then make it to Durham Saturday. If I don't get to give the Terps a final Jeff Orr farewell, I'm going to be a sad Dev11.
    Just where are you sitting?

Of course, the proper farewell for the Terps is always a chorus of "Ay-amen!... Ay-amen!... Ay-amen, amen, amen!" Not sure any of the current Crazies know it, though. (Get off my lawn, Bill Werber!)

-jk

Winterwonderland

Well 2 weeks ago the Atlanta story was about government officials not responding to events quickly enough, a poorly prepared plan to keep roads open and a "perfect storm" of events and timing that found everyone away from home when the snow hit. The resulting event was about traffic and stranded motorists.

This week's event has a different feel. With shell shocked officials and scarred citizens, we are over prepared and took the day off to hunker down in anticipation. Instead of traffic jams and being stranded away from home, I suspect this event is about loss of power and of people stranded IN their homes.

Most folks have stocked the fridges and batteries and now, simply await.

And I for one will keep a charged cell phone/hot spot and laptop for the 9:00pm event that we want to happen...

image.jpg

Jim Cantore is in town. That cannot be good news.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    image.jpg

Jim Cantore is in town. That cannot be good news.
    Isn't he that overwrought guy that used to be on Direct TV?

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Isn't he that overwrought guy that used to be on Direct TV?

-jk
    Did not mean to conflate Jim Cantore with John Candy.

Especially since Cantore will kick you in the snow balls.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    That sounds a bit flake-y to me.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Just where are you sitting?

Of course, the proper farewell for the Terps is always a chorus of "Ay-amen!... Ay-amen!... Ay-amen, amen, amen!" Not sure any of the current Crazies know it, though. (Get off my lawn, Bill Werber!)

-jk
    I remember that. Brings back such pleasant memories. "Not our rivals" and "ACC, ACC" will also hopefully figure prominently in the cheering.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Congrats to Jason Evans for having his post-apocalyptic photo of Atlanta grocery store shelves stripped bare posted on Slate's Ice-Pocalypse blog this evening

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...eep_south.html