Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Not to give the thief too much credit, but I suspect someone with the awareness to know the value of the violin and where to steal it might also be interested enough in getting paid for it that they are taking at least some care with it (i.e. put it in a case of their own).

I can't imagine the thief just grabbing it by neck and tossing it in his/her trunk next to some jumper cables, a couple old hammers, and a muddy pair of boots and driving off hitting every speed bump and pothole in sight. Certainly hope not anyway.
    it COULD possibly be a very high IQ heist, but it could also be "just" a heist using a low-level thief for the dirty work……"irreplaceable" means just that…….maybe they dumped it suspecting a bug in the case…..or even a bug in the instrument itself…. maybe it's in some high-tech security case…..safe….
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

...or even a bug in the instrument itself
    not a chance. Any thing added to the instrument will affect resonance, and thus the entire point of an instrument like that.

If the Strad took this form ...

... the thief could've been knocked out (of the park) ...

http://www.electricviolinshop.com/glenn-donnellan

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Yeah, but Jean Lundegaard was ransomed for a cool million and there was only one buyer... and that was in 1987! I'm sure the thief can get a pretty penny for it.
    You know what, I had forgotten that the story is in the past when Fargo was new.

One of the consistently most interesting things about the Coens is that they enjoy making films about stories that are in the past, but only a little. Inside Llewyn Davis is pretty lousy for their high standard, but it fits the category (1960s). So too No Country for Old Men (1980) and A Serious Man (1966ish). They aren't making movies about the Early Modern period, pretty much.

On the No Country director's commentary, one of them said it's a lot harder to do art direction for the recent past than it is for sometime that's a long time ago.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

The strad has apparently been recovered:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/07..._r=0&referrer=

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    The strad has apparently been recovered:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/02/07..._r=0&referrer=
    What an opportunity! To interrogate one of the suspects: Universal Knowledge Allah.

Almost as good as schlepping for the Dalai Lama. Gunga galunga

"Universal Knowledge Allah, 36, a local barber ..."

Presumably, he doesn't have to ask "how much you want off?" ...