Emojis as a criminal threat?

For all of us internet users and DBR emoticon aficionados, this ABA article should have some resonance.

At the very least, the image will make you spill your coffee.

Yikes, that looks a tad like me, not the cross-eyed aspect though...at least I hope minus the cross-eyed aspect!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim3k View Post
    For all of us internet users and DBR emoticon aficionados, this ABA article should have some resonance.

At the very least, the image will make you spill your coffee.
    Context is a tad important

Stories like this convince me that I've moved further away from the rest of the world. Smiley face law? Really?

Almost everything I've written on DBR is meant to be tongue in cheek, and I've never needed an emoticon, or whatever the kids are calling them now. A good writer doesn't need to impose a mood, or at least doesn't care about being read ambiguously.

Anyway, I took away something much bigger from that article: high-dollar transactions are taking place by text message on iPhones. Boggles the mind. Imagine any Facebook comment fight -- two idiots, probably men, swearing at each other while hiding behind avatar pictures of their children -- but with real money on the line.

Legal issues abound, and I don't envy the officers of the court who get involved. Can two people incapable of writing complete sentences form a contract? Is the subject matter legal if you can't tell what it is? I eagerly await the first TV legal drama to tackle this issue. You just know the case will be decided in the last minute when the fraud detectives discover the autocorrect error.